My Day.......

rated by 0 users
This post has 5,485 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,460
Points 137,893

Robin,

What a fascinating story and picture. It's so beautiful the way the snow has cast pink in the distance. Can you imagine a worm being able to survive those temps? No wonder they "celebrate" it. Wouldn't that be fun to attend? Thanks for sharing.

So cute to read about Molly and Ranpu. Where did Keelie come up with a name like that? I hope I spelled her name right. I would imagine it does get a little crazy with the chase. Cats know no boundaries when it comes to fleeing. LOL

Hope you enjoy the service today, as well as grading papers and working on GFG.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,460
Points 137,893

Not sure what the day will hold today. Hope you all are feeling well.

I woke up with some minor back issues. Too much time in a chair yesterday. I'm going to put Mike's back brace on. I've done this before and usually within an hour or two I can feel the burn on things getting back as they should be. It's a total spine brace, and glad I had the thoughts of using it a time or two over the past year. Makes that $1800.00 we paid for it a little less painful. LOL

It's another beautiful day outside. I'd like to spend some of the day out there. I'd really like to pressure wash the house, and clean the windows.  And do some fire ant treatments.Only a few weeks until my brother comes, and with the weather being as it is, a perfect time.

I still have about 15 minutes of work I brought home. That's nothing compared to all the stuff Robin does. It will go quickly and time to move on.

Then later, The Superbowl. That'll be sew time for me. All in all, sounds like a full day. Hope you all enjoy your Superbowl Sunday and have some fun! 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,971
Points 63,920
Robin replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 9:38 AM

Stephanie:

Robin,

What a fascinating story and picture. It's so beautiful the way the snow has cast pink in the distance. Can you imagine a worm being able to survive those temps? No wonder they "celebrate" it. Wouldn't that be fun to attend? Thanks for sharing.

So cute to read about Molly and Ranpu. Where did Keelie come up with a name like that? I hope I spelled her name right. I would imagine it does get a little crazy with the chase. Cats know no boundaries when it comes to fleeing. LOL

Hope you enjoy the service today, as well as grading papers and working on GFG.

Stephanie,

I would love to go to Alaska almost anytime someone wants to take me.

She got the name off of a TV show called "ICarley"  It's Japanese for Lamp.  My child has a somewhat twisted sense of humor.

Robin

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,095
Points 110,070
Linny t replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 10:03 AM

Robin:

Good Morning Ladies (take 2)

Today it is Cordova Worm day!

According to the Hallmark site:  "Leave it to the people of Cordova, Alaska to throw a rockin' party! This quaint, rural town without any stop lights goes ice worm crazy with parades, talent shows and even a Miss Ice Worm pageant in this weekend long festival celebrating the glacier-dwelling worm. Traditional Ice Worm Day contests include the Oyster Shuck-n-Suck, the longest beard and the tastiest smoked salmon. "   The worms are found only in glacier ice. 

Now what is a Cordova?  I know it's used as a name, primarily, but does anyone know why Hallmark has decided to make a national day for it?  Is the ice worm tiny or is it one of those big ugly things?  I'm glad they don't have a festival for eating them.  What I can't figure out is why they celebrate them.  Do you know?

Robin, what a wonderful place Alaska is.  Imagine seeing that scene in person.  No wonder you love that place so much.  Some day I'd like to go there and see for myself.

It was good to see Barb with a healthy appetite again.

Thanks for the compliment on my applique.  I do needle turn.  I used to do all that starch stuff, but now I just do freezer paper on top and simple needle turn.  I saw a demonstration at a local show and the lady said she got tired of all that prep and it turns out just fine - even better, without it as long as you use good quality fabric, like Moda grade.  I decided I didn't really need that much control over the pattern.  Start on something that has simple lines and most of the curves and dips are not severe.  The house one might be good because straight lines are easy.  Start out simple, though, and use a large block size, like 12" or up.  Don't attempt Wildflowers unless you enlarge the patterns as they are for 6" blocks. Something like Country Cousins would be good as long as you started with the simple blocks.  It gets easier and practice makes perfect.  It is really a joy to do needle turn applique and it's very portable.  A good way to start out with applique is to just do a simple heart.  Not one of the long skinny ones, but a nice fat one.  That way you get to try a point, a curve and a dip and you're not committed to a whole quilt.  Hey if it turns out you can make it into a valentine card for your DH.  Those are the 3 most common situations in applique.  You can move up from there to a shape that has a convex curve, say like a cup.  See, there are basic skills you have to master - innies & outies of both curves and points are the basic skill sets.  Then you build from there.  I trace the patterns onto my background fabric with water disappearing ink for a light background.  Iit works best for me.  I don't recommend starting out on a dark background.  It's just easier to work with light at first.  

When I read what you said about making a wall hanging with the photos, my mind just took off with ideas.  Thanks for that.  I thought about printing silkies of some of the pics in sepia tone with CQ'ing around them, incorporating some of the tiny treasures I have from her, like her crochet work and jewelry.  I could put it in one of those display frames that are deep.  Wouldn't that make a nice Christmas present for my daughters?  

I hope you have a lovely day, Robin and that you cut right through grading and get to some nice, gentle piecing on your GFG quilt.  There's not much that is that relaxing.  

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,095
Points 110,070
Linny t replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 10:13 AM

Stephanie:
I woke up with some minor back issues. Too much time in a chair yesterday. I'm going to put Mike's back brace on. I've done this before and usually within an hour or two I can feel the burn on things getting back as they should be. It's a total spine brace, and glad I had the thoughts of using it a time or two over the past year. Makes that $1800.00 we paid for it a little less painful. LOL

While I was reading your post I thought I should get one of those total spine braces until I read that it costs $1800.  Seems like you'd look for a reason to use it after spending that much, lol.  Hope it does the trick.

Stephanie:
It's another beautiful day outside. I'd like to spend some of the day out there. I'd really like to pressure wash the house, and clean the windows.  And do some fire ant treatments.Only a few weeks until my brother comes, and with the weather being as it is, a perfect time.

This she says after saying her back hurts, lol.  Still, moving around is probably a good thing to get the kinks out.  It is lovely outside today.  What do you use to pressure wash your house.  I mean is it just the water or do you put some kind of detergent or bleach with it?

Stephanie:
Then later, The Superbowl. That'll be sew time for me. All in all, sounds like a full day.
 Sounds like a great and productive day. I hope you enjoy it and have some fun, too!

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,460
Points 137,893
Stephanie replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 11:59 AM

Linny t:

This she says after saying her back hurts, lol.  Still, moving around is probably a good thing to get the kinks out.  It is lovely outside today.  What do you use to pressure wash your house.  I mean is it just the water or do you put some kind of detergent or bleach with it?

I know what you mean. LOL. It really is good to get moving if it's minor aching. At least some walking. Luckily, Mike has offered to do the actual pressure washing. Yay!!! That machine has so much power, my arms tingle for hours afterwards. Anyway, I'll go around and take the screens out, clean them, and move stuff away from the walls. When he's finished, I'll polish the windows with newspaper. We do use bleach and a cleaner called JoMax that's made for house exteriors. We have it scheduled for 1pm. A few minutes away. It was a little chillier than I thought to race out and get wet too early.

Guess I'd better get off here and get a jump start ahead of him....

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 332
Points 9,095

Robin:
Robin wrote the following post at 02-03-2013 7:0

Now where is Lillie?Jo?

I am here.....just lurking.  I can't wait to see the baby Guidos.  As Robin said, I hope they don't overpopulate your apartment.  I finished my mink purse; I had some mottled brown fabric that I used for a handle. One of the ladies at church this morning said "I want one" as soon as she saw it. I am going to make her one, It will be smaller than mine due to the way a stole is made. I took a picture of mine; but for some reason,  my phone won't turn on this morning. It was on last night but wouldn't up load the picture and I thought it was the batteries; put new ones in and still doesn't work.   I am going to start it this afternoon, so I had better get busy.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,049
Points 41,055
Diane replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 3:21 PM

Robin---beautiful picture.  I think that would be a pic to put on fabric and embroider.  Just beautiful!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,095
Points 110,070
Linny t replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 4:11 PM

Thanks, Stephanie.  That's good to know about the cleaner.  One day this year my house will get that treatment too.  I have to rent a pressure washer, though.  I worked outside all day.  I mowed and did general trimming and clean up.  Looks tons better.  It was a nice day, wasn't it?

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,095
Points 110,070
Linny t replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 4:13 PM

Hey, Jo.  Glad you are around and well.  Hope your picture uploads for you.  I'd love to see your purse.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,971
Points 63,920
Robin replied on Mon, Feb 4 2013 5:15 AM

Ok so this is try Number 2.

Good Morning all.

Today is National Create Your Own Vacuum Day or National Stuff Mushroom Day.   Can't say that either of them will be supported in this house.  

For those of you who are like me and went to bed early last night.  Here are the Superbowl Highlights that they will be talking about today.  I looked them up so I would know what the kids were on about.

The Ravens won...

Beyonce' Sang at half time

The power went out in the third quarter

The Taco Bell Commercial is being rated as number 1.   Older people partying and clubbing, to the Spanish version We are Young.  Dodge was American proud with farming,  and the Budweiser Commercial was a tear-jerker.

So there it is in a nutshell.

Today is Monday.  So it's back to work.  I will be listening to the moaning and groaning of students whose test grades are not as high as they should be.  To which my response will be studying is a wonderful activity.    Short of studying and taking the test for them I couldn't have helped them more.  Unfortunately in the day and age when things can be looked up in a instance on the phone in their pocket our students don't see the value in committing information to memory.   Now, grant you I was not a straight A student, but I chose the path of least resistance.   I choose to work really hard on project grades so that test didn't hurt so bad.  I've got some who hasn't figure out yet if you aren't going to study then at least do the project and if you aren't going to do the project at least study.  The loud sigh was just me realizing how my day is going to go.    Oh well, we will get through it.

Additionally our washing machine has been acting up for several weeks now with plumbing type problems.  We had the plumber come last week and blow the sewage line out but that does not seem to have made a difference.  So today will be try and get hold of him to schedule a day when he can come and come in the house to see what the problem is.  Super fun.   Anyway that means we got no laundry done this weekend, so I'm taking the laundry to school to use the washer and dryer in my room to get the job done.   Yes,  I know your tax dollars at work.   I promise I'll make it up to the American public with my paycheck dollars spent for materials for school.  :)   I think life is funny like that.

I love the fact I get to come home and play with little pieces of thread and ribbon.  I didn't work on GF yesterday because my attention is being held by the last block of my Crazy Quilt BOM.   I'm finally to May.  The next step will be putting it together.   I hope the black velvet I have is enough.  Then I'll have to do some reading on how to back it.  Can't wait to see what the final product turns out to look like.  This truly become an unplanned let's see what happens project.  

Well,  time to way the old man and get going.

Linny,  Thanks for the advice on applique.   I will reread and give freezer paper and needle turn another try.   I 've done some applique it was just real slow or maybe I should say I was real slow.  

Stephanie,   I so hope you woke up this morning feeling great and accomplished for getting the house clean.   I admire your spunk.

Jo,  Glad you are feeling better.  Hope you continue to improve.

Darlene,  Here's praying that Tim is able to come home today and that you have a safe journey to and from the hospital.

Lillie,  Hope everything is fine at your house.

Diane,  Don't forget to keep up posted on the lovebirds.   Valentine's Day is coming what does one dragon give another?  And is Tito feeling left out?

Robin

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Mon, Feb 4 2013 7:12 AM

I'm here as well. I've have a really hard time getting on "My Day" to post anything. I do read all the posts.

northern colorado

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,095
Points 110,070
Linny t replied on Mon, Feb 4 2013 11:58 AM

Robin, the only vacuum I'm going to create this day is at 5PM when I leave work, lol.  No stuffing mushrooms for me, either.

Will all the work you do on your time off and all the projects and supplies you put your own money into I think you should be able to wash all your clothes at work.  I do hope your plumbing problem isn't going to break your bank.

Thanks for the synopsis on the Super Bowl.  I didn't watch it at all.  I don't feel like I've missed an important event in my life either.  Is something wrong with me?

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Mon, Feb 4 2013 12:35 PM

Linny t:

I didn't watch it at all.  I don't feel like I've missed an important event in my life either.  Is something wrong with me?

Nothing wrong with you Linny. We did watch it, but I could have missed it and been just fine. We went to friends house for the party. There were just 5 of us and that was perfect. No one had a favorite team there. They wanted the Bronco's and I wanted the Seahawks or Pats. We ate, drank, and were merry.  lol

northern colorado

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,095
Points 110,070
Linny t replied on Mon, Feb 4 2013 4:48 PM

Sounds like a fun time, Lillie.

Linny T

Page 337 of 366 (5486 items) «Prev335336337338339Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use