This post has 5,485 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,340
Points 113,590
Linny t replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 11:35 AM

Robin:

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!

A friend of mine on FB who post days on there just posted it's Spunky Old Broads Day!

So there is a third choice!

I only could find 2 choices, so I think I missed something but I'll take Spunky Old Broads Day, anyways.  Old Broads have the freedom to feel spunky, right?  I mean they've earned it.

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 27,260

Good afternoon friends.  I have returned from the world of the lost or more accurately, I am finally home from the hospital.

Tim and I checked into the hotel near the hospital Sunday afternoon.  I went to Olive Garden and got dinner to go.  I brought it back to the hotel and we had a nice dinner together and curled up in our seperate beds to watch TV.  The room was blastly hot but he was so happy that I didn't adjust it.  I did not sleep well that night because of the heat in the room.

We had to be at the hospital Monday morning at 6 AM for pre-op checkin and the world went south from there.  His MRI was scheduled for 7:30.  The radiology department did not know that we were in pre-op and did not send someone to "pick him up".  He had the MRI and returned to pre-op.  We sat and sat and sat.  A nurse liason came by a couple times to apologize for the delay in getting to the OR.  They brought us a goodie  bag with a puzzle book, coupons for free parking and $5 off in the cafeteria, a deck of cards, a pad of paper and a pen.

At about 1 PM [surgery scheduled for 10 AM] the dr came in to tell us that Tim has developed a blood clot on his brain and there would be no surgery.

Since then he has had more tests, a blood patch and has laid around getting more frustrated.

This morning he is sitting up, eating normal food, drinking unthickened liquids and speaking full sentences.  He is on an IV drip for Heparin for the clot and will remain on blood thinners until the clot breaks down and passes or they decide to do something else.  This afternoon they plan to move him out of the "step down" ward into a private room.  He will also stop the drip and transition to an oral form of blood thinner.

He is disappointed to know that he will be hospitalized for the Super Bowl this Sunday but thrilled to be able to use his computer without head aches, he spit in the sink for the first time in months last night, and he is seeing improvement.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,340
Points 113,590
Linny t replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 4:28 PM

Oh, my goodness, Darlene!  What an ordeal!  It's good to hear he is doing more normal things.  Is the blood clot the reason he's had the trouble all along?  Will they still do the surgery eventually?  When will he be home again?  I'm sorry.  So many questions.  I'm glad to hear from you.  It'll be nice for you to be able to sleep in your own bed tonight, I bet.  Thanks for posting, too.  We were worried about you, dear.

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858

Darlene,

Thanks so much for checking in. I have to say when I read this, I just broke down and cried in thinking about what the two of you have gone through this week. I can't imagine the hardship and frustration for going in feeling this was going to be  a procedure that should have been a few days at best to the poor scheduling  and set backs finding the blood clot.

I am greatly relieved that he has made such progress through the week with the blood patch and IV drip. And thank God for the improvement and private room. You always have such beautiful Bible verses to fill us with hope during these times, and all I can think of is the shortest verse at all right now. " And Jesus wept."   You must be exhausted. I hope now that you are home, you can let down for a minute, and know you and Tim and family are in our hearts and in our prayers. God Bless You.  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,118
Points 67,350
Robin replied on Sat, Feb 2 2013 4:27 AM

Darlene,

Bless yours and Tim's Heart.    I can't imagine going through such a roller coaster ride. 

I just pray that God's healing hand will be on Tim and that His hedge of protection will be over all of you until this time period in your life has past.   I am thankful that Tim is showing signs of healing.   I pray that it continues.

I can't possibly understand how this is affecting you and your household not to mention your business.  

Hang in there and know we are here for you.

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,118
Points 67,350
Robin replied on Sat, Feb 2 2013 7:05 AM

Good Morning My Friends,

Well, I started out early but wound up back in to sleep on the couch for a few hours.

Today is of course Groundhog Day.   Everyone will be waiting to see what Phil says about spring.   And although several of the spring trees are blooming in my neck of the woods,  I also noticed that the temperatures took a nice dip this morning.

I'm not sure what the day has plan for me.  I'm being torn between staying home in my nice warm house and going to Valdosta with DH.   He needs to go pick up some clay for school.   I of course have the some needs I'm just not sure about getting out and muddle around in the people.

Hope that everyone has a fun a productive day.

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,340
Points 113,590
Linny t replied on Sat, Feb 2 2013 7:57 AM

Good morning everyone.  Happy Saturday!

Today the only thing I will do on purpose is go to lunch with DS.  We have a buy 1 get 1 lunch coupon for Out Back.  The rest is just the usual chores, working on Diane's block - nearing completion - and a little R & R.

I got bit by something this week on my elbow.  I have no idea when or where, but it swelled up and bruised badly and was feverish.  I almost went to the Dr. but the fever and redness is reduced this morning, so I do believe it's on the mend.  It was very painful, even to the point where I didn't want to type or sew at one point.  Today it's just red and feverish around the bite.  It was around my whole elbow and I was checking regularly for a red line.  I have no idea what bit me and never even felt the bite happen.  It just hurt one time when I leaned on it.  

Just when you think everything odd has already happened to you, right?  I always have odd things happen to me in January and February.  I started thinking back and every time some odd or quirky accident thing happened it was during this time of year.  Anyone else have this sort of pattern in their lives?

Darlene, I hope you can rest a little and find some peace.  

Robin, it's cool here, but I know it's cooler there.  Did you get a frost?  Whatever you do today, I hope it's fun.

Stephanie, how are you feeling today?  You've been so busy these past weeks.  I hope you get a day to just be.

Jo, sounds like you're really busy with the paint jack, spreading the good news.  Gotten any sewing done?  What are you working on?

Diane, you've been really quiet this week.  Are you okay?  How's Guido doing?  Did he finally come out of hiding?

Lillie, your work on Stephanie's block is divine.  I just am amazed at how good you are at CQ.  Your little critters on Diane's block keep me company and inspire me while I'm working on it :)   Could you post a full size pic of the block before you send it out?  It looks like it ties in perfectly with everyone else's work.  What are you doing with yourself now that you've finished it?

Anyone doing anything fun for Superbowl Sunday?  I don't really know it's Superbowl.  I've only heard about it because other people seem to live for this day.  I don't really care much for watching football.  Never have.  Some think I've missed out on half of my life for feeling this way, lol.  Every year I'm amazed at how passionate some people get about this event.  I'm happy for their fun.  

Anyways, I hope everyone has a truly lovely day and weekend, whatever you are doing.  

Linny T

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 27,260

Linny t:
 It's good to hear he is doing more normal things

Last night when I called to check in and see how he had settled into his new room, he was carrying on a conversation which was coherent and fully understandable.  Many times during the last month I would talk to him on the phone and have to ask him to repeat things because it was so hard to decipher all of what he said.  He would be frustrated, I would feel horrible to have to ask him ro repeat.  Talking on the phone was just not pleasant.  This seems to be behind us.

Linny t:
Is the blood clot the reason he's had the trouble all along?

We do not know for sure, but it seems like the blood clot just "appeared" during the last week before the scheduled surgery date.  There had been no mention of a clot prior to Monday.

Linny t:
Will they still do the surgery eventually?

There is still the matter of the "mass" on his brain which they don't know for sure what to do with.  There may be surgery to remove it at some point in the future but it is in a difficult area and noone is in a hurry to rush in and mess around with it.  The last time we talked with the oncologist she said he needed to be stronger before she would begin to be concerned .  We were scheduled to see her this coming Wednesday.  Not sure if that appointment will still happen.

Linny t:
When will he be home again?

Of course, doctors are not giving us definite dates but it looks like he will come home Monday or Tuesday if nothing changes for the worse. He transitioned to the oral blood thinner yesterday and they are monitoring his blood counts to make sure they have him on an appropirate dose.  This needs to be determined before discharge.  He has been given the all clear for clear liquids.  This was a major thing for him.  "No more motor oil"  He felt the consisitency of the thickened liquids was the same as motor oil.  Not sure how he had that point of reference but that was his analogy.  Maybe from looking at it.  I hope he never drank motor oil but my DH had a strange childhood and he has many references to food and drink that I can not imagine the origin of.

Linny t:
I'm sorry.  So many questions.

No need to be sorry.  I had wanted to take my computer so that I could update people as the week progressed but Tim was uncomfortable with me using it on public domains at the hotel and hospital.  He has such fear of identity theft and I just left the computer home to satisfy him.  Truth be known, I was so exhausted physically and mentally that I probably would not have used it.  I sent regular text updates to a series of people who are our prayer warriors.  This group updated everyone at home and kept me lifted up.  I kept current with QCA from my phone but could only read.  Not able to reply on my phone.  Kyle could probably firgure it out for me but I just don't want to ask him.  Too prideful for my own good.  I also sent daily e-mail to people who do not text.  This kept our local circle in the loop and helped me remain focused on what was important.

Linny t:
 It'll be nice for you to be able to sleep in your own bed tonight, I bet.

Last night I left our bedroom door open and Gracie joined me in bed.  Tim will not be happy but it was so comforting to have her with me.  She did not stay all night but when I got up in the middle of the night she returned for a while.  This morning we watched some quilting stuff from PBS together and had some bonding time.  She has a fascination with windows which we had not seen before Tim went in the hospital.  I have opened blinds in a couple places so she can look out at the world.  My brother's girl friend believes she was a barn cat prior to the shelter and that she will always long to be outside.  Tim does not want a cat that goes out in our neighborhood and so I pray that she will adjust.  I slept at home Wednesday night but it was so horribly windy that I did not rest well.  Last night was a much better sleep.  Probably talking to Tim before bed and having Gracie helped immensely.  Also, the fatigue factor came into play.

Linny t:
We were worried about you, dear

I appreciate all of your concern and knowing that you were thinking of us helped me to remember that I was not alone. 

Thank you all for every thought and prayer during this ordeal.  It is friends like you that make the endurance possible.  God brought me to this site at just the right time in my life to allow me the comfort I needed.

Well, I am off to run a couple errands and then to the hospital.  Tonight is the annual basket auction for the school Kyle went to K-5.  The first auction was the year he was in Kindergarten so that would have been 1999.  It has grown to be an amazing event which has around 200 items each year to auction and raises a lot of money for the school.  My MIL has something to donate and I need to pick it up and deliver it to the committee.  Nothing like being last minute.  She could have called the office and they would have picked it up.  But that is not how she operates.  I am sure this is also a method to see me for 5 minutes which will turn into an hour.  This has been a tough week for her (I had to be very brief with her several times this week because of low battery on my phone and just plain exhaustion.  I did not have the energy to repeat things so that she could understand.  I even made my mother call her a couple times to update her because I could not deal with her at that moment.  I am so lucky to have my mom as the buffer.  She is not fond of MIL but tolerates her for Tim's sake.  She loves him to pieces and would do anything in the world for him).  I must sign off for now.

Hope that you all have a wonderfully satisfying Saturday. 

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,118
Points 67,350
Robin replied on Sat, Feb 2 2013 9:43 AM

Just checking back in now that my brain seems to be operating at normal capacity.

I've spent the last hour making a to do list for school.   I sure hope no one at home wants much sense it seems school will have to be a priority for a while.  It's just the way it goes.

Linny,  Keep an eye on that bite.  If it was a spider bite it might flare up again after it has done damage under the skin.   I learned this from a student who got one on his finger thought it was getting better then turn out that the venom affected the flesh under the skin.  Had to have it debrief and several shots.

Darlene,  What a week you have had! Bless your heart.  And to add the dealings with your MIL on top of it seems to be a bit much.  Thankfully we are never alone.   God's timing is always perfect.  Just look at when He brought Gracie into your life and what you named her, perhaps to remind you that His grace is sufficient., even for MIL's.   I use to have awful battles with my MIL over spoiling my children.  But fortunately the children grew up and realized that Grandma's lifestyle is an exception not a rule.  Hang in there.  I hope you and Tim have a wonderful day and that he is home soon.

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,340
Points 113,590
Linny t replied on Sat, Feb 2 2013 9:58 AM

Darlene, thanks for taking time to answer those questions.  It probably feels good to put it all down and not be asked over and over about it.  How wonderful that you can have a regular conversation with Tim and that you have so much good news to share about him.  

I am so happy you have a prayer circle and such close ties to your church.  Miracles do happen when people pray.  I know this to be true.  We are your quilting prayer circle, so you have 2.  You know you can always just come here and write it all down and immediately it's up to the Lord in prayer.  There's something relieving about writing it all down that makes it like some of a load that is left off of you.  We love you, dear.  God brought me to this site about a month before Ricky died, so I know what you mean by that, too.  You are certainly not alone in all this.  I know that this group is where I can say things that I would hold back from my loved ones because I would need to be strong for them.

Your MIL must be so worried about her son and probably feels very helpless.  God bless your mom for helping you help her out.  Your mom is a real Gem.  That's a gift from God, too.

How sweet about Gracie.  My sister tells me how her cats know just when to sit on her.  They always do when she is not resting, she tells me.  God sends our pets at just the right time, too.

God's mercies abound, don't they?  We have so much to be thankful for.  I believe there is a power in thanking God, as well as praising Him.  It's like vitamins for the soul to help ward off the bad things like worry, anxiety, exhaustion, depression.  There's even medical evidence of it, not that I feel you or I need to be convinced.  

I always get a lot of strength and encouragement from Eph.6:10-18.  Keep your armor on!  Even while writing this I know that you do.  You amaze me with your strength and stamina and the hope that comes through in everything you write.

God bless you dear.  Have a wonderfully satisfying Saturday, too.  Better days are just ahead!

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858

Darlene,

I was just thinking of how fortunate Tim was to be in the hospital to catch this blood clot. So happy to hear he has been able to return to normal speech. Thank you Lord! Sounds like  he has a while yet until they decide what to do. it was sweet to read about Gracie. Sounds like she's tucking in to her new home. Hopefully MIL didn't prolong your visit too long. Now that Tim's able to speak better maybe she can call him direct.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858

Linny t:

Stephanie, how are you feeling today?  You've been so busy these past weeks.  I hope you get a day to just be.

Feeling very well today. Like Robin, I got up early. 1-3am but fell back asleep and slept until 9 am. It felt so good not to get up. LOL. It's been pretty laid back ever since. Some laundry, vacuuming, etc and working on Robin's block while the furbabies are sleeping. They're all spread out over the two couches. Even Otis.

I'm happy to hear that bite is doing better. Whatever it was it sure did some damage with bruising and heat. Man!

Diane,

That's so sweet about Nellie and Guido's romance in the other post. Hope you can get an incubator and have some baby dragons. That would be so neat.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,340
Points 113,590
Linny t replied on Sat, Feb 2 2013 5:34 PM

Stephanie:
Feeling very well today. Like Robin, I got up early. 1-3am but fell back asleep and slept until 9 am. It felt so good not to get up. LOL.
 How wonderful you got to sleep in!

I'm glad you had a laid back day.  My fur babies sprawl out and sleep like that, too.  Sometime Lillie and my cat snuggle together.  They wake up acting like 2 men who just caught themselves hugging each other, lol.  It's almost as good with the pets napping all at once as it was when my girls were young and would be napping.  Everything is as it should be.

Barb and I had a wonderful meal at Outback.  She ate every bit of her food, including most of the baked potato skin.  She also ate one whole loaf of the bread they bring.  It was really good to see her appetite back.  Afterwards we went back to her house where we looked at some of my mom's old pics.  I took them home so I could scan them and put them on Shutterfly for the whole family to see.  We had a really nice afternoon.   

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858

Linny t:
They wake up acting like 2 men who just caught themselves hugging each other, lol.

ROFLOL. That would be a sight!

Linny t:
It's almost as good with the pets napping all at once as it was when my girls were young and would be napping.  Everything is as it should be.

That's sweet to think about. Paul and I used to doze off watching tv when he was little. Thank goodness he wasn't one of those characters that get into everything.

Way to go Barb!!! I love Outback, but usually have to bring half of it home. It's good leftover too. What a sweet and thoughtful day looking at pic's of your mom. Wouldn't she be pleased to have thought you would do this in her rememberance. Happy that you enjoyed your day, and the weekends only half over. : ) 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,118
Points 67,350
Robin replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 6:00 AM

Good Morning Ladies (take 2)

Today it is Cordova Worm day!

According to the Hallmark site:  "Leave it to the people of Cordova, Alaska to throw a rockin' party! This quaint, rural town without any stop lights goes ice worm crazy with parades, talent shows and even a Miss Ice Worm pageant in this weekend long festival celebrating the glacier-dwelling worm. Traditional Ice Worm Day contests include the Oyster Shuck-n-Suck, the longest beard and the tastiest smoked salmon. "   The worms are found only in glacier ice. 

Speaking of Alaska, this is a picture from News Miner out of Fairbanks, Alaska.   I wanted to share it with you because it is so beautiful but also because it is a rare site.  This is Denali with both peaks showing.  Denali is the largest mountain from the base to the peak, not the largest total.   It is called Denali by the First Nation People instead of Mt. McKinley because that was it's name before we purchased Alaska.  The picture is so rare because Denali, makes it own weather and rarely does it clear due to the almost tropical rainforest type situation when in the air current in the area around the mountain.   This picture was taken in Anchorage which is 175 miles away. 

I am so glad to have heard from most of you today.  I was beginning to think I was going to have to take time off and go hunt some of you up.

Linny,  What a wonderful day with your sister.   I know that seeing her eat was a joy.   I'm glad to hear her appetite is back.   Any luck on the house hunting?   An idea struck me was you talked about the pictures of your Mom a wall hanging with a silky or two of her.  There's a book I have called  Allie Aller's Crazy Quilting that has a wallhanging done for her sister with pictures of them.   And it sprang to mind as something old pictures of love ones might be fun to do with.  By the way your appliques are lovely.  Do you do needle turn?   Have you ever tried the method with freeze paper and spray starch?  I've been hunting a applique piece to start but I'm a little nervous.  Watch a video from Shabby Chic on the method with freeze paper and spray starch but I wasn't sure I want to do all that prep?  I found a pattern there I love which is a bunch of little house but wasn't sure if it would work for a beginner.  I've done a little applique but not a lot.

Stephanie,  I am glad to hear that you had a day off and got some rest.  You've been burning the candle at both ends lately.   I totally understand about the dog and cat thing.  My oldest Yorkie "Molly" will curl up and love on the youngest daughter's cat "Ranpu".    The crazy things will lick each other and nuzzle then pile up and go to sleep or start a game of chase.  When they chase each other things get a little wild.

Diane,  So glad to hear that you found Guido and that he as the other dragon are becoming good friends.   I hope they don't over populate your apartment.  Good luck sitting on the eggs.  

Darlene,  So glad your home and hope Tim is there soon.

Now where is Lillie?Jo?

As for me today.  It's grading papers and Grandma's Flower.   Both a slow go for me.  Oh and church.

Robin

• Post Points: 50
Page 336 of 366 (5486 items) «Prev334335336337338Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use