rated by 0 users
This post has 5,485 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,488
Points 138,318
Stephanie replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 9:56 AM

Robin,

Hope you get a classful of really sweet darlings and have a terrific Thursday yourself.

Are we celebrating a national day today?   

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 333
Points 9,115
Norma Doll replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 10:00 AM

Stephanie:
Really neat the old house is still there and so close

Someone lives in the house.....he is the son of one of the guys I went to school with.  I would love to go through the house, but I don't know the son well enough to ask.

Stephanie, I am mailing your Paint Jack this afternoon.  I hope you like it as well as I think you will.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,488
Points 138,318
Stephanie replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 3:01 PM

normajo1030:
I would love to go through the house, but I don't know the son well enough to ask.

I know it's awkward isn't it? Several years ago my older brother drove us past my Grandmothers house. I would have loved to go in. I never got to see her much as a child. After my grandfather died young she turned it into a boarding house so it wasn't convenient to have four kids running around. It was a Victorian style house with three levels and a basement. Their was a winding staircase up to the "servants" quarters and it was all finished wood. There were so many rooms and mysterious places including a laundry chute that dropped the clothes all the way to the basement. She polished that wood staircase everyday. It was split at the bottom. One side of the landing led into the kitchen while the other into the formal living room. She had quite a collection of memorbilia. One of her boarders was a salesman that traveled to China and Japan and brought her back some beautiful things. I don't remember much about her, but I remember peeking into her room and seeing what I know now to be a treadle sewing machine. My father said she made a lot of her own clothes as well. I can't imagine how hard it must have been for her to change her lifestyle after Grandpa died. There were old pictures of her on a cruise ship wearing a mink coat and she had quite a collection of furs and jewelry.

normajo1030:

Stephanie, I am mailing your Paint Jack this afternoon.  I hope you like it as well as I think you will.

That is really sweet of you to step out there and do this. I'm anxious to try them and spread the word. My younger brother is a painting contractor as well. So is one of Mike's best friends.     

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 3:08 PM

OMGosh. I've had a horrible time getting on for the past few days.

We did not work on the back splash on Wed as DH forgot to purchase thinset.  lol  Maybe we'll work on it Thurs eve.

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,058
Points 41,265
Diane replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 3:09 PM

Stephanie--what kind of work did your grandfather do?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,488
Points 138,318
Stephanie replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 3:33 PM

Yesterday was a Murphy's Law day for me. After fighting to keep my glaze from running down the walls from the humidity and working the full day there, Mike committed us to do an after hours trip of painting a bathroom for a house that the designer neglected to pick a color for while we were there originally. It was grueling physically, but she gifted me a beautiful dark wood small console table with a few drawers.  The people just wanted it hauled out of there. (Hoarder! LOL) Anyway we didn't get home until after 8pm, and I was beat.

Paul's going to adopt my 90 gallon salt water tank. I had hopes of setting it up again, but with our well water and the work it takes I'm just not up for it. I'm tickled that he has the desire to do it, and it will look great in his place. It takes up a lot of room, and I had it filled with silk flower arrangements that look really pretty lit up. I have a really old non working big screen tv from the 70's that I have tried to persuade Mike to get rid of for years and he's ready. That thing takes up a huge amount of space. It'll feel like a much bigger room after just those two items are purged.

So, I'm taking a rest day, trying to refuel my fires for tomorrow. I'd really like to be sewing, but haven't gotten into anything yet. I was going through and deleting some of the photo's from my computer and came across some of my hussif that's been tucked away for quite a long time. I'd love to finish it soon.

Linny,

I had missed answering a post about my older brother coming to visit. Yes, he is still planning to come in Feb. He's going to be in meetings in Orlando and come on down from there. He has already planned to pick up dinner, and we're meeting first at Paul's house and then he's coming here to stay for a day or two and then heading back to fly out. I don't know how he still does all of the traveling that he does, but he wants to stay working another two years. He said it may be shortened if they cut the defense budget, because his company contracts with the government. We'll see, he's set for life with his pension from so many years in the Air Force so the rest of anything he makes is just icing on the cake for him.

Looks like rain here. The winds have picked up and it's gray as it can be. Good day to tuck in. Guess I've been chatty enough. Hope everyone is enjoying the beginning of their evening and taking it easy.  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,108
Points 110,315
Linny t replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 5:36 PM

Isn't it just great that Paul wants the tank.  It'll be nice for you to see it when you go there.  I know it's hard to keep up a tank, especially that big of one.  Wow, 90 gal.  Is he going to do fresh or salt water?

Too bad about Murphy's Law day, but still you have a nice console table for your troubles.  That's nice.  I would have taken it, too.  You're not a hoarder, lol.  And good for you taking a day to re-charge.

You're brother sounds like such a cool guy.  He's really done something with his life.  No wonder you are so proud of him.  Hopefully the government won't cut the budget where his company is concerned and he can get his 2 more years.  

It rained for a couple of hours here- hardly more than a mist most of the time.  Then it cooled down and got windy, but stayed overcast.  It looked just like it was going to snow.  Made me wish I was at home in bed with a good book and some good munchies, lol.  I love it when it cools down.

Lillie, did you start your back splash tonight?  

Diane, how's your health and have you made more progress on the work quilt?  Did you get back to your jewelry?

Jo, how goes it with the meds change?  Feeling better?

Robin, hope your day went smoothly.

Darlene, any closer to getting Tim healed?  Have you had a lot of snow?  My NY daughter sent me a pic of her back yard with 10" of freshly fallen snow.  Just beautiful.  Still, I'm glad I don't have to drive in it.

Hope everyone had a delightful day and has an even better evening.

Linny T

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,488
Points 138,318
Stephanie replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 6:33 PM

Diane:

Stephanie--what kind of work did your grandfather do?

I came across a very old picture of him in a suit at a factory with all the workers around. Not sure what his position was. He died when I was born. My Dad never spoke anything about his parents or upbringing. It was very strange to me, that he was so secretive. He did say once that his mother didn't approve of his marriage to my mother. She thought he married beneath himself marrying a farm girl from Oklahoma. She left all of her wonderful family behind to move with him and start a family. Must have been torture for her. She and Dad divorced when I was 3. I wish she'd have taken the four of us kids back to Oklahoma.Anyway grandma wasn't an affectionate woman, hard to tell really if she liked us at all. One day we went and had to spend 6 hours sitting on her couch. Nothing to play with, no tv, just sit and be quiet. Can you imagine four kids 4,6,8 and 11 years old doing that!  Probably why I spent most of my time looking at her stuff.  She wasn't affectionate with my Dad either, so maybe it was just her way.   I was too young and not around her enough to figure it out.   

So funny, after she passed away, we went back to the house. My sister and I had to hold hands to go up the staircase to use the bathroom. We both were scared to death and swore we felt her ghost as we passed by her room. There was a chill and the hair on our arms stood up.We flew down those stairs like we'd been shot out of a cannon. I suppose that's normal when you experience death for the first time at such a young age.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,488
Points 138,318
Stephanie replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 6:41 PM

Lillie:
We did not work on the back splash on Wed as DH forgot to purchase thinset.  lol  Maybe we'll work on it Thurs eve.

Sounds like something I'd do. LOL

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,488
Points 138,318
Stephanie replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 6:49 PM

Linny t:
Is he going to do fresh or salt water?

He wants to do salt water. I'll be thrilled to see it up and running. I love aquariums and we both have such fond memories of that fish he brought home from the ocean and what a showoff character it became. He's talking about having a service come in to do the set up and water changes. That would be nice.  

Linny t:
You're not a hoarder, lol.

Are you sure? LOL. At least I'm willing to let something go. Might have taken 30 years to get rid of it, but I'm willing. LOL Remember how good it felt for you to purge that stuff off your porch. I'm looking forward to the space.  

I bet that picture of all that freshly fallen snow was beautiful. Hope you have a great evening too...

I almost forgot to add the excitement of the day. Two streets down we have people raising grizzly bears. They take them on tour. One of the cubs is loose. We have bears from time to time but not grizzlies. It'd be fascinating to see one. The bears that are around usually just get into peoples trash at night. I've been keeping a close eye out.   They've warned that although the  cub is used to being around people, not to approach it. I don't think they'd have to worry about that out of me. LOL 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 286
Points 26,315

Good evening.  Gonna try this again.  Lost my post earlier and took a while to get back here.

Tim is scheduled to see the Ear, Nose and Throat surgeon who participated in his biopsy tomorrow to discuss the procedure to plug his leak.  Monday he is scheduled for a 4 hour test to prepare for the procedure.  The procedure is tentatively scheduled for the following Monday but we do not have a time.  Hoping to learn more tomorrow.

Mom is home and the kitty is returned to home as well.  Things are lonely for Tim with the cat gone.  He has remarked about having no buddy to take a nap with in the afternoon.  We may be looking into a pet sooner than he had originally thought but I will wait and see.

I have not done much sewing with the running to the hosptial and now being with Mom during the day.  I got a small project started Tuesday but then put it aside when they called to say I needed to come get Mom.  My crocheting has been fruitful but my wrist is sore so not sure how much I will do tomorrow andI  Monday while waiting for Tim.  Guess I will read.

Our weather is turning to typical January in WNY.  Temps dropped today.  We had our high at 8 this morning.  We are seeing flurries in the sky but no major accumulation yet.  Will be interesting to see what things look like tomorrow.  We are heading east and our Dish does not give us local channels for that county.  Frustrating but thus is life.  As long as I can see where I am going, I will be fine.  The hardest part of driving in bad weather is what everyone else is doing.  I don't mind when I am alone on the road and don't need to worry about that.  Silly but true.

Hope that everyone is well.  Will try to check in tomorrow when we get home.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,058
Points 41,265
Diane replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 9:21 PM

Stephanie--thank you for sharing that.  It must have been hard for you without your mother at such a young age.  Life can be full of pain. I don't know how hard it must have been for your mother.  We all have secret stories in our family.  My grandfather died of epilepsy.  My father didn't talk about it and my mom didn't even know how he died.  One day I asked my  Nana what happened and she told me.  My grandfather was in the hospital for years.  Life can be full of hard times as we all know.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,058
Points 41,265
Diane replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 9:26 PM

Linny--I am slowly getting back to the living.  I have done some work on my work quilt---over half done.  Not started on the jewelry yet.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,488
Points 138,318
Stephanie replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 5:48 AM

Diane,

Thank you for your kind words. There was always a sense of loss. I had 3 stepmothers that followed and went to 13 schools by the time I graduated. I think that because I never had a chance to make friends, I never really knew that everyones lives weren't different than mine.  All I knew was that I wanted to plant myself somewhere for a while, and things would be different. I learned a lot about peoples characters and studied a lot of mental health books. I came to know that people that made bad choices will continue to make them and I didn't have to take on the weight of the world and bring their problems into my house. I was often there to "help" people and try to help them get a fresh start. My love of God and my love of animals brought me great joy and comfort all of my life, and God placed people   that truly cared and I learned from them. Watching and being so close to my MIL was key in learning to be a good mom.  

My skeletons have become closed chapters. The mysteries have faded as do the memories. I have to pick up the torch of the beautiful women in my life and carry it onto the next generation so love won't be lost on them. 

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. Men are such unique characters. Back then, I sometimes think they didn't mention anything that would show any kind of weak link. Even still today, it took my older brother until last year to tell me his daughter has aspbergers syndrome. She's out of college now. LOL.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,488
Points 138,318
Stephanie replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 5:52 AM

Darlene:
Monday he is scheduled for a 4 hour test to prepare for the procedure.  The procedure is tentatively scheduled for the following Monday but we do not have a time.  Hoping to learn more tomorrow.

Finally, huh? Poor guy must be exhausted from having to live with this all this time. Keep us posted... Prayers going out to him. Hope you find the perfect kitty for him to nap with....and that your wrist is feeling better this morning.

Have used up all my time this am. Time for work. Wishing you all a happy, healthy day!

Page 323 of 366 (5486 items) «Prev321322323324325Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use