This post has 5,485 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,985
Linny t replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 6:41 PM

Stephanie:

Linny t:
She is officially in remission and no more chemo.

That's wonderful news! Happy dance for Barb and you too!!!!  I hope it dies away and she is looking toward a long lived, happy life. 

Thanks, dear.

Sounds like you got a lot done cleaning your dining room.  I didn't do much on my Christmas break, either, except that one day before I had the craft day.  If I didn't plan a craft day I can tell you I would not have cleaned like I did.  Still it felt good to have it clean.  Also, you feel like keeping it that way and it seems easier to do so.  I'm sure you feel that way about your dining room.  I think all that stuff that piles up because we don't have time to keep up with it kind of drains our energy, even though we tell ourselves it doesn't matter.  It's like a part of our minds is on it, even though we don't deal with it.  

Is your brother still on schedule to visit?  I seem to remember you saying something about it.  It'll be nice to have that room cleaning behind you for that.  Enjoy that warm weather.  Here it's only supposed to last 1 more day and then rain and cooler.  What does your weatherman say?

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,107
Points 42,095
Diane replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 7:34 PM

Linny---so glad to hear about your sister.  It must be a huge weight off you both.  I will continue to pray for you both.

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,985
Linny t replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 8:31 PM

Thank you, Diane, very much.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,041
Points 65,610
Robin replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 5:59 AM

This is my second post so it's real short as I'm going to be late to school.

I hope you all have a Wonderful Wednesday.  My day is a 1/2 day with kids, so I'm hoping to go fill a school po after the children leave.   But I've got to make myself sit down and get my grades in the computer.

Glad to hear the sick are on the mend.   Hope Darlene's people are fairing as well as also?

What on the agenda today Darlene?

Stephanie,  No more rolling on the ground today.  I hope you're not to sore.

Linny  Have a good day at work.

Diane,  Hope you are feeling as right as rain.  Good luck on your quilt today.

Lillie,  How's the back splash coming?

Robin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 7:19 AM

Linny,

Wonderful news about your sista! God truly works in mysterious ways.

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 7:32 AM

Good Morning Everyone.

Today our back splash tile arrives. I think we are going to start putting it up this evening.  WOO HOO! 

Someone recommend a silk ribbon book but I can't remember who recommended it or what the title is. I think they purchased it about a month ago, or maybe before Thanksgiving. Help please.

northern colorado

• Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 347
Points 9,470

Stephanie:
Beautiful memories.

My Grandmother sewed also.  She made my school dresses out of feed sacks that my Grandfather bought the food for the animals in. He would take me to the store with him to let me pick out the pattern in the sacks that I wanted for a dress. One time my Aunt bought fabric for my Grandmother to make a dress for me for a piano recital. I can still see that dress, it was yellow and she made a place at the hem she gathered up a little and put lace under it to look like a slip was showing.  They said she could just look at a picture and make a dress without a pattern. (can you imagine). She quilted also; it seems like there was always a quilt in the dining room that she was quilting on. 

I lived with my grandparents till I was 10 years old. I was born in their house. The house is still here; about 10 miles from where we live. The little town is called Mountain now; when I was born it was called Mole Hill and in 1948 they changed the name to Mountain. "They made a Mountain out of a Mole Hill."  It was changed because of a radio program that made "sayings" come true. It was like a festival with music, the govenor and a big celebration.   A lot of good memories!

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,107
Points 42,095
Diane replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 11:06 AM

Lillie--it may be the book that I bought which like- "The Handbook of Silk Ribbon Embroidery" by Ann Cox.  I think it's very good for the basics.  I got it on Amazon.  It is about $12.  If I had more money then, I would have ordered a book by Di Van Niekirk.  She is the master.  If you could subscribe to her blog you would be amazed.

Normajo--I've heard about those feed sack dresses.  I would love to have seen them.  Your grandmother sounds a lot like mine.  My Nana made me my First Holy Communion dress with a pattern she made.  I was surprised she could do that too!!!  Amazing!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,985
Linny t replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 11:15 AM

normajo1030:
They said she could just look at a picture and make a dress without a pattern. (can you imagine). She quilted also; it seems like there was always a quilt in the dining room that she was quilting on. 
 That is amazing, Jo.  What a wonderful seamstress.  No wonder you love to sew like you do.  How cool that you can still go see that place.  

That's too funny about making a Mountain out of a Mole Hill.  Do you all have an annual festival about it, too.  

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,985
Linny t replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 11:26 AM

Lillie:
Today our back splash tile arrives. I think we are going to start putting it up this evening.  WOO HOO!
 Woo Hoo is right.  I bet you thought it'd never get there.  

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,985
Linny t replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 11:38 AM

Robin:
Linny  Have a good day at work.
 Thanks, Robin.  I hope you do too.  What's a school po?  Hope you got your grades entered.  Have a Wonderful Wednesday, too!

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,041
Points 65,610
Robin replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 5:05 AM

Good Morning Ladies,

I hope you all had a restful night.

Jo,  I love the story about your Grandma.  My Great Grandma and Grandma use to tell me about dresses made from seed sacks.  I even have a quilt that one of my Great Great Great Aunts made with some feed sacks.  (At least that's what I think mom told me.)    I am so glad to have a point of reference for the expression "You're making a mountain out of a mole hill".  

I have so enjoyed all the stories about Grandma's.   I loved mine dearly and still miss her so very much.

Linny,  a po is a Purchase Order.   Everything that I buy for school last to have a PO before I can buy it.   So that adds to the time I have to wait on this stuff.  Most of the stuff is shipped to me by the company.  But I always do one to Walmart so I can go get things I need like paper plates, brooms, cleaning supplies at a cheaper price than if I order them and then pay shipping.     Anyway,  I got it filled so that's done.  

Lillie,  I hope that your tile goes in smoothly.   Have fun with the wet saw.

Today will be the beginning of the new nine weeks so there will be some shift changes in my classes.  Some kids got out to move to college classes, some got out to move to another elective and a particular darling got moved because she did see things my way.   So it will be interesting.  And I sure I'll be picked up some new darlings.  Just another day in paradise. 

Have a great day!  It is simply Terrific Thursday.

Robin

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,985
Linny t replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 7:55 AM

Robin, good luck with your new little darlings today.  Everyone will have to get to know each other again, right?  Oh, joy.  Have a Terrific Tuesday yourself.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 8:48 AM

Jo,

What a wonderful memory of your grandmother. I read that companies would put pretty prints on feedsacks to entice the ladies to influence the purchase of their products. They knew they'd be making dresses from them. I thought that was a pretty cool piece of history. Your yellow dress sounds lovely with the lace showing. It's pretty amazing that she could look at a pic and make the dress.

Loved reading about your memories and The Mountain out of Mole Hill. LOL Really neat the old house is still there and so close. Thanks for sharing. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 8:51 AM

Lillie:

Woohoo for you! Have you started putting it up yet? Can't wait to see it.

Page 322 of 366 (5486 items) «Prev320321322323324Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use