rated by 0 users
This post has 5,485 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,340
Points 113,590
Linny t replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 10:36 AM

Robin:
Happy Rubber Duckie Day!    One hot bubble bath for everyone with their special friend.
 Now this is a concept I can get behind.

Robin, you have a lot of accomplishments.  Getting grading done, finishing March BOM, starting on April, going to church.  Congrats on all of it.  I didn't even know there was a show called "Buying Alaska".  Alaska is beautiful and I'm sure you long for it after finally going there.  It made a big imprint on you.  I feel that way about North Carolina.  

Good also to hear you got your little sewing space claimed.  It's such a comfort to have that one place in your home where only you sit and do your thing - your nest...that's cute, especially for someone named Robin :)

Have a happy Rubber Duckie Day!  I bet Jodi is happy - hey she may have even invented it, lol.

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,159
Points 43,045
Diane replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 11:49 AM

Hi everyone---Happy Sunday

I didn't make it to church today.  I'll be seeing my doctor tomorrow to get things checked out.  I amdefinately feeling better with some episodes of burning.  I am drinking cran juice daily.

Darlene---so sorry to hear that you mom is ill.  I wish her a speedy recovery.  It's amazing how quickly animals grow on us!

I am resting today and hopefully will start making jewelry again.

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 2:13 PM

Darlene,

I am so happy you checked in for us. You are such an Inspiration!

What a road you have been on lately with your poor Mom having pneumonia and Tim perservering through his leak. I can't believe how long the Doc's have let this lag, and th amount of suffering the poor man has had to endure. Hopefully they'll get their heads together and get this taken care of soon. The kitty sounds like a bit of Divine intervention right now with them taking to each other in such a way.

Loved, loved reading about your project plans and organizing the scraps. I understand completely about cutting down on the clutter improving your focus. It fries my brain with confusion if things are piled up. Relates to me  like the flylady's clean sink, only in the sewing room. If my tables clean it's like an unpainted canvas. Look forward to seeing some of your projects and having you do RR.

Robin,

Happy Rubber Ducky day to you too! Sounds like you've made yourself a nice space to do your stitching, and have a very busy day planned. Hope all goes well, and you find yourself facing Monday with all of your "ducks in a row". Pun intended, couldn't resist. : ) Look forward to seeing March BOM

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 2:14 PM

Diane:

I didn't make it to church today.  I'll be seeing my doctor tomorrow to get things checked out.  I amdefinately feeling better with some episodes of burning.  I am drinking cran juice daily.

Good to hear you are feeling better!  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,340
Points 113,590
Linny t replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 2:18 PM

Diane, I am glad to hear you are feeling better and that you'll be seeing your Dr. tomorrow.  Hopefully he will be able to get to the bottom of it.

Won't it be nice to be making jewelry again?  I've been making scissor fobs and key chains with beads.  Really, I think I like using the tools, lol.  It's fun and you get to play with pretty beads.  My 2nd love next to sewing.  

Have a restful Sunday.

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 27,260

Happy Rubber Ducky Day to all my Quilty friends.  A good soak in a bubble bath sounds heavenly.  Too bad I struggle to get out of the tub.  Therefore, I rarely take a soak any more.

Today we reached temps of 60 degrees.  What an amazing Spring like day.  Temps are dropping quickly now that the sun is down and they are calling for rain turning to sleet and snow once the temps get to freezing.  Still enjoyed some nice weather.  Good day to fill up the gas tank and do a little outdoor   "stuff".

Mom is breathing much better today.  She is however, not eating enough to say so.  She is complaining about how bland the food is and the doctor will not allow her any salt.  She salts everything before she tastes it.  The doctor today told her that they will see what they can do to get her to eat.  I went to the vending machine and bought her some snacky stuff which she seemed interested in.  I have also told her I will bring in food from home.  At this point, I do not think that anyone will object.  I think I will take her a Big Mac tomorrow.  She loves them.  Not heart healthy but if she eats I think that is better at this point.

Tim and the cat have had a good day together while I was away.  Between church and everything, I haven't spent much time with them.  I have a turkey tenderloin in the crock pot and some potatoes on to boil.  Guess I better get up and finish dinner.

Hope everyone has had a Splendid Sunday and was a wonderful week ahead.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 7:12 PM

Darlene,

Wow at the weather for this time of year! We're still getting up into the 80's here. Looks like the morning will be pleasant though.

Thank the Lord your mom is breathing better. No salt! I have to have it too. I'd think they'd let her have anything to get her to eat at this point. Good thing she has you to sneak her in stuff.

Dinner sounds great and sweet that Tim and the cat are enjoying each others company.

I have spent the evening working on Robins block. Felt good to get some sew time in.

Hope you have a wonderful week ahead too.   

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,118
Points 67,350
Robin replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 4:52 AM

Good Morning One and all,

I am pleased to announce that it is National Dress Up Your Pet Day or Hot Pastrami Sandwich day.   If you should dress up your pet today please post pictures for all of us to see.   

Darlene,  I'm so glad to hear that your mom is breathing better but now to get her to eat.   With DH's Grandma we usually wind up getting her McDonald's Milkshakes for her to sip on even though there mostly sugar.   But we always figure that whatever, we can get in her is better than getting nothing in her.  Your organizational plans sound awesome.   I hope you will share some pictures of the jeans projects that you make.  I'd like to see them.

Linny,  I've changed by mind about the next round robin.   I'm in.   By May the school year will be winding down so it should fit in perfectly.

Diane,  Sorry to hear that you are still suffering with a UTI.  That is awful.  You are a bigger person than I am because I would have never made it this long.   Hope your doctor's appointment goes well.

Stephanie and Darlene, I'm right there with you on working better in a clean or neat environment.  That's one of the reasons I had to go out to school.  My tables were filthy.   I can't stand to see my kids sitting at dirty tables.  The kids clean at them on Friday but they were so bad I think we were just moving the dirt around.   I also made sometime to clear my desk of the piles that had collected on it.  So this morning I'll be greeted by a fresh smell and some organization.   I wish I was staying home to organize and play in my sewing stuff.  

Yesterday,  I manage to finish some school work,  get to church on time, work on Laurie's Grandma's Flower, work a little on Linny's block (mainly play with it and try things out) and make a few stitches on my March block.   Started reading Max Lucado's book Fearless.   I had started one time before and stopped but lately been struggling with life's little fears.  Felt like I needed to dig in deep.  

Has anyone ever made a slip cover for a chair or reupholster a chair?  My grandma use to do it but then again she worked at a furniture factory.  I've done some cushions but nothing else.  I need to recover by nesting chair and I was thinking about doing in myself in some sort of mixed matched patch work look.  I saw one once and loved it.  

Robin

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,340
Points 113,590
Linny t replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 6:40 AM

Good morning, all.  This will be a short post because I have to leave for work in a few.  Hope everyone has a Marvelous Monday and go ahead and reward your pet for allowing you to dress it up with a nice hot pastrami sandwich, lol.  

Robin, you lighten my mornings with your posts.  Thanks.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 8:40 PM

Robin:
Has anyone ever made a slip cover for a chair or reupholster a chair? 

I have reupholstered two loveseats and a couch. It's a lot of work for a working gal, and especially as busy as you are. I took pictures of everything as I was ripping it apart, and took a sharpie and labeled every piece I carefully tore off to reuse as a template for cutting the new fabric from. It was the best thing I could have done because as busy as I was I knew it would take a few weekends to get it done and I'd forget.

The patchwork idea is awesome, and I'd think you could reasonably do a chair in a weekend or two, if you don't have other plans to interrupt. I found it very intense once I got started, I didn't want to be interrupted.  A few things I found useful: Joann's sells a tacking strip that you can get some really nice lines with. Some 1/2 inch strips of posterboard, a good staplegun, a tool to pull staples, a tack hammer,  good foam, batting, zippers.  Once you start ripping it apart, you'll get the jest of it and what you can salvage and reuse to tack it all back together. And if I  can help in any way, just ask....   

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,340
Points 113,590
Linny t replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 10:34 PM

I did a chair and a couch with my DS years and years ago.  My goodness, I just thought about it and I was in my 20's.  That's another lifetime.  I couldn't imagine doing it alone.  We didn't have tack strips.  We did it with staple guns and tack hammers.  As I remember it is really tough on the hands.  I suppose that depends on the fabric, but I remember a lot of pulling and pushing involved and holding while you staple.  It is incredibly rewarding, though.  As hard and intense as it is, it's that rewarding to sit on it the first time.  As organized as you are Robin, you could do it.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,118
Points 67,350
Robin replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 5:10 AM

Good Morning Everyone!

Today is National Strawberry Ice Cream Day!  Which is a day I can really get behind.   I particularly love Hershey's Strawberry Ice Cream.  Unfortunately it's hard to find in my neck of the woods.

Stephanie and Linny,

Thanks for the advice about recovering the chair, maybe I'll wait until spring break to give it a whirl then I'll have a whole week to work on it and I'll be able to focus.  Stephanie I remember my grandmother labeling the pieces and cutting by them.   It's strange what we recall from our childhood.   My Grandmother was such an amazing woman in some ways.  She believed she could do anything she put her mind to.   I don't know if it's because she thought she had to or because she really believe she could.   She was one of the few people that believe my mom could do anything any other child could do.  Mom was born with a hair lip and a cleft palette. A lot of people treat her like a special needs child and thought she was incapable of learning.   Not Grandma.  She demanded Mom be given regular classes with regular work and allowed to make up the work when she was absent.   Mom had like 16 operations on her mouth when she was a kid.  The doctor really did not give my grandparents a lot of hope.   They had to take her to Jacksonville and they often had to leave her there alone.  (Jacksonville is 3 hours from where they lived by car today). But Grandma would not give up or let mom give up on fixing it.  It is that determination that I think I admire the most about her.

Today is another school day of course.   It's the end of the grading period so we are going to have to spend sometime making sure grades are right.  Also I realize I've got to tightened up on my grading next 9 weeks.  I didn't exactly get what the was required.   I mean we worked and they did things somethings just required more time than I planned for.   I really hate for someone to tell me what I have to do in my classroom.  Like you have to have this many assignments, you can't give a grade lower than ____ and stuff like that.  Ok enough complaining.

The kids are in full swing with all their projects so my room looks a little like a bomb went off.   I hope that I can survive the mess.  They're are several groups that are doing a really great job with their community service projects.  I've got three groups working with various community groups, all different and all special.  It's fun to watch them get so invested in something for someone else.   And it's also fun to watch them talk to other students about why what they are doing is so important and fun. 

I hope you will forgive my wandering and fussing.

Have a Totally Awesome Tuesday!   TAT!

Robin

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 7:04 AM

Robin,

What an inspiring post about your grandmother. And your mother perservering through all of those operations. You come from a long line of talented, determined women. Loved reading about them and it speaks volumes about how you came into your own lovely, driven personality.

It's also an inspiration to read about how you have involved the kids in their community projects, and it must be very rewarding to see them in action and feel a sense of importance in what they're doing. You are a character builder and it's no wonder to me that you are invited to weddings and they continue to want to share their lives with you. I think you will be one of those people in their lives that they will always admire and maybe even write a story about themselves someday.  

I may not have strawberry ice cream in the freezer, but I have some wonderful bluebell triple chocolate coated cherry icecream bars. I think I'll have one in your honor. Sounds so good, I may have it for breakfast.

Hope your Tuesday is totally awesome too!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 7:06 AM

Diane,

How'd the Doctor appointment go? Are you still continuing to feel better?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,159
Points 43,045
Diane replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 10:48 AM

Stephanie:
How'd the Doctor appointment go? Are you still continuing to feel better?

My UTI is gone!!  I was so happy!  The doctors says the infection made me weak and shaky but it's gone.  I had a very good doctors appointment.

I started working on Lillie's block yesterday.  It's such a beautiful block  and I can't believe I'll be putting the finishing touches on it and it will be complete!

Page 320 of 366 (5486 items) «Prev318319320321322Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use