rated by 0 users
This post has 5,485 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 324
Points 8,785

Stephanie:
That's a lot of paper pieces to have to make yourself

Actually, Stephanie, I had to make a lot more than that because I needed so many for the size quilt I wanted to make. I also wanted to order another set when I talked to the girl about the missing ones. I just wanted the missing ones at no charge since I had paid for them.  I sent them emails and they didn't even respond to them. I have said I won't order from them again, but sometimes I can't resist the 'free shipping" or the flat "$5" shipping if there is something that I want.  I used the tissue wrapping paper to make the papers and it worked out fine.

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,811
Points 105,895
Linny t replied on Fri, Jan 11 2013 11:08 AM

Robin:

According to my friend on Fb today is National Jump in a Puddle and splash your friend,  so you can all considered your self virtually splashed.

I like that one, Robin.  Right back at you!  Good luck today with the feet nailing.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,811
Points 105,895
Linny t replied on Fri, Jan 11 2013 11:11 AM

Robin:
Thanks for the congrats. Both I and the teacher of the month for December were announced at the same time so I guess we'll share the month of January.   I actually got a lovely basket of goodies with a saying on each one.   Like on a 100,000 bar,  You're worth a 100,000 to us.  There is a bulletin board where pictures are posted for the Teacher of the Month.   I'm actually the one who makes sure that happens,  so I'll get it up there sometime next Monday when I have a planning period.  

This makes the whole thing much better.  Enjoy the attention, Robin.  You deserve it.

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,845
Points 60,910
Robin replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 5:36 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

I'm up and getting ready to start by day.

Unfortunately I have to go into work for a little while today.  With grades due Wednesday I just know that if I don't put in some alone time in my room today I won't make the deadline.   But it's ok cause I enjoy being ready on Monday more than I dislike working on my day off.

I've got Linny's block out and on my design surface waiting for it to talk to me.   Everyone has done such beautiful work on it with so much detail that I want to make sure I add the perfect elements to speak to it.   I'm amazed at all the elements that are on there and the detail.   I only hope that my work will look as good.  

Robin

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,811
Points 105,895
Linny t replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 7:49 AM

Good morning and Happy Saturday, everyone!

I am going to a craft show with DS & DSIL.  We're having breakfast first, then the show, so a full day of fun for us.  I've been to this one before and it's usually well rounded.

Robin, I know your work will be the cherry on the top for my block.  Seeing all the blocks in person makes me so thrilled to think what my block will look like.  Your work is beautiful.  I love the little turtles on Diane's block more in person.  I find myself feeling the same way about Diane's block as you do about mine..

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,905
Points 38,330
Diane replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 1:05 PM

Hi everyone

Linny--have a wonderful day.  I am in love with my block too.  I can't wait to see it!!

I have begun work on the job quilt again. I have 6 rows to go then I'll put the edge on --forgot what you call it---and i will quilt that...Oh my

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 1:11 PM

Have fun at the craft show Linny. Post pics if you find some treasures.

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,247
Points 134,648
Stephanie replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 4:33 PM

Hi girlfriends,

I've been under the weather the last couple days so haven't posted much. Just a flu bug, no big deal. Hope you are all enjoying your weekend. Feel like I've slept thru most of mine. LOL

Robin,

Hope your "homework" has gone by quickly. I'm with you for liking to be ready for Monday, even if it puts a little weekend time into place.

I've got your block out on my table waiting for it to talk to me too. I have to say as well that everyone has done such beautiful work on it that I hope mine will look as good too.

Linny,

Hope you've had a wonderful breakfast and enjoyed the Craft show. Can't wait to hear about it and see your treasures.

Jo,

Hope you are starting to feel better after stopping your meds.

Diane,

Last six rows! Woohoo, the longest stretch is behind you now. I think that evasive end word is the binding. Most quilters hate doing the binding, but I like it. To me it's the final touch, almost like traveling and you get to that last couple miles before home.

Darlene,

It's been a while. Check in when you can and say hi...

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,811
Points 105,895
Linny t replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 6:01 PM

We had a grand time.  I didn't take pics.  No one was allowed to.  Protecting the designs, I suppose.  Not as many quilts as have been in the past.  Only 1 vendor, really.  She had a ton and had a long arm of her own, so prices were really low.  Her lap quilts, she called them throws, were only $35.00.  Very reasonable.  They looked store bought.  There were some primitive quilts.  They looked tea died and were roughly quilted.  Really there was a little of every kind of craft.  Lots of jewelry.  Nothing really new, though.  I didn't buy anything to sing about - a pair of earrings, a bracelet (that I intend on deconstructing) and some paint brushes that have a reservoir in the handle.  I thought I'd try them with Dye-Na-Flow.  After we went to a couple of antique stores.  When I got home, I took a 2 hour nap.  Catching up from this week's troubled sleep.  Now I feel pretty good.

Stephanie, hope you're feeling better.

Diane, only 6 rows to go is a really good thing.  Hope it goes fast for you.

Jo, How's it going with the meds change?

Robin, did you get your grading all done?

Lillie, what are you up to today?

Darlene, wondering how things are going with Tim and you.  Post when you can.

Hope everyone enjoyed their Saturday and you're all having a great evening.  I'm going to try to find something to sew or make.

Linny T

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 125
Points 23,410

Stephanie:

Darlene,

It's been a while. Check in when you can and say hi...

Was thinking this afternoon that I needed to check in but had not taken the time.

Life has been rather hectic here but I am hoping that things will begin to settle down.

Mom was hospitalized this week with double pneumonia.  She needed more care than I could give her and the doctor agreed that the hospital was the best place for her.  She felt so miserable that she did not argue.  That in itself says volumes about how sick she was.  Today she is breathing better and feeling a little stronger.  I think they have got her on the correct antibiotics and that she is responding well.

Tim will be seen by the Ear, Nose and Throat surgeon who participated in his biopsy next Friday to discuss the repair of the leak.  We had quite a week getting the doctors to claim what needed to be done and who would take the lead.  The oncologist isn't a surgeon and therefore was not the one to order procedures.  The surgeons were debating whether the neurosurgeon needed to be involved.  There was also the debate of how quickly to do things.  Still not as quick as Tim would prefer.  He would have been in there this week having this done but that is not what happened.  We keep remembering that this is God's timing, not ours.  Tough to wait but trusting that the wait is for a purpose.

In the meantime, while Mom is hospitalized and Tim is laying around doing not much of anything, we are cat sitting.  My mom has a 6 month old kitten who needed more attention than I could give her when she was at the apartment.  We brought her here yesterday afternoon and she has adjusted well.  Funny thing is that my brothers aren't much for giving our mother care but were fighting over who would take care of the cat.  Two of the three stepped up and offered to take her.  I have assured them that she is doing well here and that this is only temporary.  Once Mom gets home, the cat will go home as well.  Tim is not much of an animal man.  Never had pets in the house as a child and we have not had pets since we have been married other than a guinea pig for 4 years.  The cat has taken to him and he has accepted that she wants to sleep on the couch with him.  He wasn't going to allow her up on the furniture but that didn't last 10 minutes.  This afternoon when I came back from the hospital she was napping on his lap on the couch.

Best part of the whole thing is that Tim is talking about getting a cat of our own.  I think that having her around has been good company for Tim and I enjoy having her here.  I wouldn't mind a fur baby but know that I can not make the commitment to a dog.  A cat would be a good compromise.  They are much more independent to have as a pet.

I have developed a schedule for my crafting for 2013.  So far I have been able to keep to it somewhat.  I have decided that I will work on Christmas ornaments once a month and then when it comes time to sell them, I will not be working crazy to get enough ornaments done.  I also have a day once a week when I will work on my CQ skills.  I have set aside a day each week to work on custom orders to keep up to date.  I am hoping to spend part of a day once a week on UFOs.  I will see if I can continue with the plan.  If I can, I will be better prepared for the crafting season.  I have put together a crochet bag for times at the hospital which is in the car and will help get my scrubbies back up to goal level.  I hadn't made a scrubbie since September and people are still asking for them.  I sold all I had made for Christmas.  I played with thoughts of stopping them but people keep asking and I am unable to tell anyone other than Tim and Kyle no.

Speaking of Kyle, he goes thru his times of silence and then we hear from him again.  I always answer cheerfully and quickly when he calls so that he knows that I am here if he needs something.  He came for dinner this week and took out the garbage.  I don't think he has much life other than work.  Doesn't sound like he does much else.  He has no television.  The guys he lives with have deemed that cable is not on their list of priorities so they don't have it.  He could have it installed but he would responsible for the entire expense and he cannot afford that.  Living without television is not the end of the world but that was a major part of Kyle's world when he was at home.

I have chuckled this week at so many of your posts.  Can't even remember all of them now but thank you all for your moments of lightheartedness.

Robin, I love the National Day of ...... that you have been sharing with us.  Yesterday was a thaw day and we reached 50 degrees here so there were some great puddles to jump in.  Made me remember days as a teen when I would jump with both feet and soak my friends but stay dry.  I didnt jump yesterday but I will admit that I smiled when I stepped in a couple puddles.  I think that we could come up with a great calendar if we put our minds to it.

Congrats on being selected Teacher of the Month.  Linny is right, you are our teacher of the month all year long.

Diane, hoping that your health will improve soon.  It sounds like you are following the correct steps to get to that goal.  Praying for a recovery quickly.

Lillie, I can't wait to see the back splash on your basement project. 

Linny, I hope that you had a great day with your DS and DSIL.  Breakfast and a craft show sounds like fun.  Sounds like Barb is doing well.  Glad she continues to get out and praying that her results from tests will show all good news.

Jo, sounds like you have also had some challenges with your health.  Stick to things and I pray that you will feel your old self soon.

Well, everyone is resting quietly on the couch, so I guess I might be able to sneak upstairs and sew for a while.  Have a wonderful evening and a Blessed Sunday.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 125
Points 23,410

Linny t:

I'm up for another RR, but would prefer to wait a month or 2 to finish a couple of things and restock my stash.  Since we won't be done with this one until the first - second week of Feb, why don't we wait until April 1 to start the next one?  That way we can pick a theme and still have time to hunt and gather for it.

If you ladies opt to do another RR and are willing to let more in, I would love to be part of this.  Your group have inspired me to want to work on my CQ skills.  I have set aside a day each week to work on something new with my embellishing skills.  I have a quilt which is color themed.  All greens.  The blocks are almost done and I would like to work on embellishing them so that I can have a complete CQ when finished.  I hope that I can have this finished by the end of the year.  Will take some fortitude but I think I can do this.

I will continue to watch for news about the next RR.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 324
Points 8,785

Darlene:
Best part of the whole thing is that Tim is talking about getting a cat of our own

Darlene, I think a cat would be a perfect pet for you and Tim.  George had never had a pet when he was married to his first wife, but I had a cat and he said I could bring her with me.  She was older and eventually I had to put her to sleep.  George's brother told him I had always had a cat and he should let me get another one......we got Sammy three years ago.  George has completely taken over the care of him.  He talks to him and picks him up and pets him and plays fetch with him.  Sammy doesn't like to sit on your lap, but he will lay on the footrest between George's feet.  It would be good for Tim to have a cat. As you said they are so much easier to have than a dog. When we go to Ohio to visit for a few days; we just make sure Sammy has plenty of food and water and he is fine.

Thanks for the good thoughts and prayers, everyone.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,845
Points 60,910
Robin replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 7:02 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

Happy Rubber Duckie Day!    One hot bubble bath for everyone with their special friend.

Yesterday was pretty good.   I did get my papers grade and some cleaning done at school before I came home and sat worked on Laurie's Grandma's flower.   That's my UFO for the UFO challenge.  I know I probably want get anything else done but if this helps me finish hers it's worth it.

Darlene,  So sorry to hear about your Mom getting sick.  If it's not one thing at your house it's two.   I think that it's cute the cat has taken to Tim.  It will probably do him a lot of good to have something depend on him for comfort.   I know that when I was going through rough I always thought the animals in this house were the only ones who truly needed me and somehow I feel better by that.

Diane and Jo,  I hope that you are both feeling better today.

Linny,  Sorry your craft show wasn't what you were expecting but I'm glad you had a fun day with your family.   I never thought of buying something to dismantle it.  That's a cool idea.   I learn so much from all of you.

Stephanie,   I hope you got a lot done yesterday and had some time to do things that you wanted to do.

Linny's block is talked to be a little bit. " It says I'm so special, I'm so beautiful,  I'm absolutely marvelous darling.  See what all the beautiful and talented woman have done to me."

I finally finished by BOM for March and am working on April so the stitching is rocking an rolling around here.  Just wish I didn't have to do anything else.   But today I'm headed to church (if I ever get up from this computer),  then to the grocery store and then home to build a powerpoint for class  tomorrow.  Plus I really need to read some event guidelines.   Then back to my corner  and my own little chair where I can stitch whatever I want to stitch.    I think I forgot to mention I finally have made me a nest in the family room where I can sit and hand stitch.  I need to find a cabinet to store stuff in but I'm at least settled.   With everyone else watching TV on their computers or in there bedroom I kinda have the whole room to myself.  It does become a sort of play room for the fur babies at time.  Other than that I'm good.  I've found a new TV show I'm hooked on and my family thinks I'm nuts called   "Buying Alaska" .  But hey it let's me see all the beautiful mountains and such.

Have a good day and Spectacular Sunday.

Got to run Church is in 30 minutes and I'm in my PJ's .

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,811
Points 105,895
Linny t replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 7:17 AM

Darlene,  first of all I'm praying your Mom will get over this Pneumonia quickly and get back to her old self.  We all know your Mom isn't well when she doesn't fight the hospital.  Poor dear.  

That's amazing about her kitty and Tim, with him starting off not allowing it on the furniture progressing to letting it sleeping with him on the couch.  Pets are very therapeutic.  Not only are they comforting, but they give us a purpose and we feel needed.  So you have something to look forward to.  A kitty of your very own.  How cool!  

Nice that Kyle was over for dinner.  Double nice that he took out the trash for you.  He's such a good boy.  Seems like God has him on a quiet shelf for a while, with no TV.  That's not a bad thing.    

Your 2013 plan for getting things done is something I'd like to commit to.  I like the idea of working on ornaments once a month and UFO once a week.  I need to carve out a schedule for myself.  It won't be as aggressive as yours, but something would be better than nothing.  I saw some of those scrubbies at the craft show and thought about you.  After feeling them, I could see how they would be rough on your hands to make many at a time.  I also could see how they'd be a real bonus to have in the kitchen.  Just enough "scrubbie" to do a good job without harming the pots.  I almost bought a couple, but had that old thing kick in saying, why pay for it when I can make it myself, lol.  The problem with that is that I won't make it because I have so little free time.  Still, I want to try it.  I have tons of yarn and yards of tulle left over from my wedding.  The one vendor reminded me of you with how she padded her booth with little items like this.  She also had the kitchen towels with the crocheted top & button as well as the grocery bag keepers and some shopping bags.  

Come to think of it I cant' remember what else she had as a main theme.  I think it might have been hot fix crystal designs on clothes.  There were a lot of vendors doing that. Also, lots of jewelry.  Only one quilt vendor and she had a long arm, so her stuff looked store bought.  Anyways, I think I said all this in another post. 

For the RR we need 5 people.  We're going to start talking about it after we finish this one, so look for talk about it end of Feb., beginning of March.  We'd love to have you in on one.  Diane said she was doing a RR with another online group, but would consider joining in if we needed another person and Stephanie said May might be a better time to start for her .  Robin expressed that she'd like to have a little break in between.  Lillie was ready to do another right after, I think.  We'll see where everyone's life is at after we finish this one.  It has been so much fun.  It's amazing the difference in seeing the work of others in real life.  Pictures just do not do these blocks justice.  Also, it's so nice doing this with the block owner in mind.

Your green CQ sounds like a fun challenge.  Even if it ends uo\p taking more than a year it'll be a treasure when you finish it.  

The site is starting to act slow, so I'm going to post this before it vanishes.  Hope you have a Blessed Sunday, too.

Linny T

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 125
Points 23,410

Good morning friends.  It is another mild morning.  We are predicted to have unseasonable warm temps around 45-50 today with rain later and temps dropping once the rain starts.  This could cause black ice.

Hoping to be home from church and visiting Mom before it starts so that I don't need to worry about it.

Today is "denim" day.  I have so many old jeans which I want to repurpose into bags and things.  I am hoping that once a month I can work on some things with the jeans.  I have  a great pattern to piece the legs of the jeans together to make shopping bags.  They are very popular around here and I think would be fun.  The first step will be deconstructing them to prepare for piecing.  I think that will be my focus today.

I read thru a lot of stuff yesterday which have inspired me to get my scraps organized better than I currently am.  I have decided that CQ is the ultimate form of scrap quilting.  When we do CQ, we truly waste not, want not.  I have plastic shoe boxes which I use for scraps from a project to keep coordinating scraps together.  Last Saturday I took down a shoe box and made a baby quilt completely from what was in the shoe box.  I even had some flannel which matched in the box to use for the back.  All I had to cut was the sheet for the foundation.  It was fun and a great use of what was left from a previous project.  This is when I was enlightened to how frugal I am.  I love this about the CQ format.

To some extent I believe tradiitional scrap quilting is more tedious.  I believe that if I can get my scraps better organized, I will be able to produce some beautiful "scrap" quilts.  I read extensively about the "Lumberyard" method of organizing your scraps and think I would like to use this method.  I need to spend some time working toward this but believe it would be great.  Basically, you make your scraps into what you would find at the lumberyard.  Add 1/2" seam allowance to everything you cut and seperate into size.  I would like to spend a small amount of time weekly working on cutting scraps into these sizes and then figuring out how to store in my currently stuffed space. 

I am finding it a challenge to run up and down the stairs to find what I want.  It is good for me to do the stairs but time consuming.  I have found that I need to put yesterday's project back in the dungeon and bring up what I am working on today or I have no place to work.  My cutting table has so much on the fringes that I can barely lay out a backing to cut.  I think that if I can cut down the clutter, I will be better able to focus on the project of the day.

Well, I need to get Tim's breakfast and get off to church.  Hope that everyone is having a good day.  I will try to post again later today.

Darlene

from Western New York

Page 319 of 366 (5486 items) «Prev317318319320321Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use