My Day.......

rated by 0 users
This post has 5,485 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 6:10 AM

Thanks Stephanie for the info on Valdani pearle cotton. At least I'll know which floss to purchase for my wool work. Hope I can get around to that this year. I've dedicated 2013 as the year for me. I have so many projects, and all the fabric, on the back burner and I want to get all of them finished before I start something new. Except for the CQRR2, of course!  lol

northern colorado

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 6:13 AM

Oh Linny what a sweet thimble pouch. What did you use to make it? Is it crocheted or knitted? I love it!

northern colorado

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 6:19 AM

There is no such thing as having too many buttons! Same with lace, trim, and fabric!  lol

I keep all my buttons in glass jars. Right now they are not sorted in any fashion. I'm starting to get a lot of buttons and I'm considering starting to sort them, probably by color.

northern colorado

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,115
Points 67,290
Robin replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 6:38 AM

Good Morning all of you Button Queens,

I am proud to say I'm right there with you and consider myself in good company.    You guys are awesome and I want  to see everyone's buttons.  We should get together and have a button swap.   Wouldn't that be fun!

I am off to school to listen to an English teacher tell me how to teach writing in my class.  I'm just wondering when I'm going to teach English teachers how to teach knife cutting skills in English class.   Sorry it's a pet peeve of mine.   We do this training every January in order to get ready for the writing test.   But enough about that I just had to get it off my chest.

Today is .......National Spaghetti Day.   I got an early start and had mine last night.    According to another site it is also National Get Organized Month, but I think we are all so organized we don't really need that one.   (hehehehe)

Anyway.

Darlene,

I'm glad to hear that Tim is done with scans.   Praying for God to bless you with some good news and peace.  I think it is great that Tim got some rest and sure way of healing.

Linny,

Your bobbin pouch is a work of art.  I wish I  lived close enough for crochet lessons.   It's the next thing I want to try but my last attempt was not so good.  The throw I was crocheting kept getting wider and wider at every turn.   I finally gave up.

Stephanie,

It's not hoarding if you are treasuring the item you are collecting then it's treasurer hunting a legitimate career.   Try selling that idea to Mike.

Hope everyone has a Funastic Friday.

Robin

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858

Lillie:
I've dedicated 2013 as the year for me. I have so many projects, and all the fabric, on the back burner and I want to get all of them finished before I start something new. Except for the CQRR2, of course!  lol

Good for you Lillie! I'm dedicating this year to unfinished projects. One day at a time. LOL 

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858

Lillie:

There is no such thing as having too many buttons! Same with lace, trim, and fabric!  lol

Amen to that. And where does it go from here? feathered sequin boas, crazy shoes, purses and Hats? LOL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858

Robin:

Good Morning all of you Button Queens,

LOL Robin.

Robin:

I am proud to say I'm right there with you and consider myself in good company.    You guys are awesome and I want  to see everyone's buttons.  We should get together and have a button swap.   Wouldn't that be fun!

You're awesome too. It would be fun to get together and do a button swap. I think we've been doing a pretty good button sway with our RR too.

Hope you're able to make the best of the English teacher interacting with your class. I'm inclined to agree that that could be annoying, especially when it's a culinary class.

Robin:

It's not hoarding if you are treasuring the item you are collecting then it's treasurer hunting a legitimate career.   Try selling that idea to Mike.

I like that. Mike's pretty supportive about it. I think it could be worse, I could be a diamond collector. LOL.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 10:27 AM

Robin,

You should go to Swap Ideas http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/groups/fabric_swaps/forum/p/35191/487588.aspx#487588 and talk about a button swap. I think that is a great idea.

northern colorado

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,335
Points 113,885
Linny t replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 11:09 AM

Lillie:

Oh Linny what a sweet thimble pouch. What did you use to make it? Is it crocheted or knitted? I love it!

Thanks, Robin.  It's crocheted with thread my mom left me.  The thread is for crochet lace, like you see on vintage hankies, so it's tiny.  I strung the beads onto the thread before making it.  I had to work under a magnifying glass the whole time, lol.  It made me think of her while I was making it.  She did some beautiful things in her time.

If you lived closer I would help you with your throw.  You're picking up stitches somewhere along the way.  No way to say where or how without seeing it.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,335
Points 113,885
Linny t replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 11:13 AM

Lillie:
I've dedicated 2013 as the year for me. I have so many projects, and all the fabric, on the back burner and I want to get all of them finished before I start something new. Except for the CQRR2, of course!  lol

Good for you Lillie.  I think it's an excellent idea.  Since I joined QCA I can only think of a couple of projects I've actually finished.  I always get so inspired by what others are doing on this site that I want to make what others are making, too.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,335
Points 113,885
Linny t replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 11:42 AM

Well, I have to say that I take buttons from everyone and everywhere I can get them.  When I go to Goodwill I look at clothes for what I can salvage off of them, not how they will look on me or even if they will fit.  My sister gets a kick out of this.  Some of my best stash comes from the Goodwill.  Also, I have people in my family trained to be on the lookout for things for me.  It's one way to get those you love involved in CQ without their learning how to sew.

I did have my buttons in glass jars on top of my dresser.  They looked really cool up there.  One day, though, my kitty wanted them to move out of his way so he could lay there, so that ended with a loud crash and a huge mess to clean up.  I ended up putting them all in a box together and now they are up high so unless he sprouts wings he will not knock them down again.  They'd be much easier to use if they were separated and sorted, but there is something exciting about all of them being together.  Kind of like being in a subway or train station or airport with all the different people moving about interacting with each other.....I know....it's a sickness. Beyond addiction, really, lol.

When I go to use my buttons, I pour the box onto my bed and fish through it.  I rather like the feeling of touching all of them together like that.  I also like the sound they make clacking against each other.  That's an inspiration in itself.  Also, then I feel like it's fate if I find the perfect button for the occasion.  I may change my mind and sort them again some day, but for now it's fun.  I do keep my Christmas buttons separate, though.  That jar didn't get broken.

Stephanie, my dad used to make those kind of storage things with the empty pickle jars, etc. on scrap wood and then hang them in the basement for storing screws, etc.  It was nifty that they doubled as shelves.  He used to just put screws into the lids to hold them onto the bottom side of the wood, making sure the screws didn't poke through the top of the wood.  I've seen somewhere those modular storage units where they have the same concept, but they have the jars fitting into holes in the board of a shelf.  The lids hold them from falling through, being just a bit larger than the jar.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 11:47 AM

Linny t:
Since I joined QCA I can only think of a couple of projects I've actually finished.  I always get so inspired by what others are doing on this site that I want to make what others are making, too.

I fall into that category too.

I decided while I was waiting for my faux samples to dry and had my table all set up for paint that I would paint some lace motifs. I just used pure color in the dye na flow because I want to use at least one on Spring block. It was fast and fun. I remember reading that post from Nicky Lee that she dampens hers first. I hadn't done that before and it really draws the color through and blends them nicely.  

Naturally, because I was up so early I'm fighting the temptation to nap. LOL. I'm anxious for the mail hoping my ribbons will be here from Hand Dyed Fibers. I'll post a pic if they come.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 12:12 PM

Linny t:
I rather like the feeling of touching all of them together like that.  I also like the sound they make clacking against each other.  That's an inspiration in itself.

I know, and the glass ones are different than the metal ones. LOL. The metal ones remind me of an old fable of counting coins.

Linny t:
my dad used to make those kind of storage things with the empty pickle jars, etc. on scrap wood and then hang them in the basement for storing screws, etc.  It was nifty that they doubled as shelves.  He used to just put screws into the lids to hold them onto the bottom side of the wood, making sure the screws didn't poke through the top of the wood.

That's the way this one is except instead of a shelf the man made a closed cabinet. Paul said he almost threw it away. I had a fit, LOL and told him he'd be throwing away a piece of history and nostalgia! Since then he said his friends have commented on how cool it is. See there. These things may have skipped a generation and next thing he knows all of his friends may be collecting jars and attaching them to shelves, just like old times. LOL

For newer units, I think Ikea had a metal backboard with magnetized jars that would stick and enough glass that you could see inside. Be cool for beads, crystals etc. Don't know what they run, but for someone wanting something that looks nice and uniform they'd be great. You'd have to have them wall to wall with your stash. LOL

Just for reference to see what I'm talking about with the magnet containers: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80102919/

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,159
Points 43,045
Diane replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 12:22 PM

That's funny Stephanie!  I am a night owl!  I have not felt well for a while--urinary tract infection and stomach problems.  I am reading though so I have been lurking mostly.  I'm going to the doctor today.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,335
Points 113,885
Linny t replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 1:12 PM

Diane, I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well.  Glad you're going to the doctor today.  

I answered your question about the thimble pouch in a reply to Robin.  I hope you saw it.  I hadn't been that far back in the posts yet to see your questions.  Thanks for the compliments.  

Linny T

Page 309 of 366 (5486 items) «Prev307308309310311Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use