Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,982
Points 64,180
Robin replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 5:58 AM

Darlene:

Robin:
The Beast is conquered!

Robin, way to go!!.  It is a major accomplishment when you finish something of this magnitude and I have seen the pics.  You did a wonderful job and I am sure that he will love it more than words can express.

Your head wrap also sounds great.  How creative to be able to figure this out without a pattern.  I do not enjoy making things that need to be a specific size with or without a pattern.  Traditional quilting is about as specific as I get these days.  I gave up making clothing years ago.  I admire anyone who can do attire.

Your plans to clean and undecorate room by room is such a good plan.  Hope that you continue to work room by room and are satisfied with your progress when it is time to return to the classroom.

Thanks Darlene for the kind comments about the quilt.   The head wrap wasn't to hard.  just two pieces.  I've go to try and tackle the sleeves on my chef jackets today.  They are a little to long, so I plan on taking off the cuffs, shortening the sleeve a hair and putting them back on.  

Christmas cleaning hit a two day slump.  I missed Saturday because I was at Mom's for my brother's Christmas and then yesterday I did what I swore I was going to do all school year.  Work on crafty things with little to no house work.   I'll get back on it today and should finish up tomorrow with no problem.   I hope you have a lovely day and that you aren't to snowed in,  or better yet have no where to go all day.

Robin

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 7:21 AM

Happy New Year everyone!

For NYE dinner I was going to get Thai food. I was looking at the menu this morning and realized they are closed on Mondays! Yikes-now what to do? I don't want to cook anything. Now I'm thinking Chinese food. I'll call them later and see if they are 1) open; and 2) deliver. Dang! If I had known they are closed on Mondays I would have ordered yesterday and just left them in the fridge. Or maybe I'll just stop by Whole Paycheck and see what they have in their freshly-made deli case. 

northern colorado

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,107
Points 110,295
Linny t replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 8:56 AM

Stephanie:
Are you back to work today?
Nope, I have 2 more days of Stay-Cation left and I'm cherishing every moment.

Stephanie:
What kind of projects did you all work on?

Karen worked on Zentangle.  She has quite a stock pile of beautiful pieces of art that she intends to frame.  She has some ladies faces that are absolutely stunning.  She also has some color pieces that are wonderful.  Barb worked with sheet metal and alcohol inks with UTE.  She mad a couple of butterflies that were remarkably beautiful.  The ink really shows up with the shiny metal behind it.  Then she does a layer of UTE and rubber stamps on it and then another layer of UTE as a sealer.  She used her metal pieces to embellish one of those wire ornament stands and made a chain hanger for a votive.  It was really romantic looking.  I worked on more scissor fobs with the beads.  I chatted was a hostess so much I didn't get much made until after they left.  We had more fun than anything else and that was the point of doing it, so it was a success.

It was too cold to paint this morning.  It's supposed to warm up here, though.  Back in the 70's again the rest of the week.  I like it when it's in the 60's the best.  The 40's make me feel it too much and I have to work to stay warm.  

I plan on doing what I love all day while watching sewing shows that I have stockpiled on my DVR.  Tonight it's pizza with the pets and I'll do my best to stay awake until midnight.  I don't mind really.  It's a good time for contemplation.  I also love to watch those shows that review the big things that happened during the year. 

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,107
Points 110,295
Linny t replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 9:02 AM

Robin:
If it wasn't for this group I don't know who I would talk to about quilt squares and charms.
 I feel the same way, Robin.  I love having craft days with my DS and SIL, but I have to say it would be nice once in awhile to share quilting with someone who also quilts.  

I can't wait to see the pic when you finally reveal the HP quilt.  1/2 a square is so close to done with the hard part.  I've always found with paper piecing that it's better not to push into the wee hours, even if it's to finish a block.  It's too hard to fix mistakes with all that tiny stitching and it's one of those forms of quilting where you really have to pay attention to what's the right side of the fabric and if the piece you're attaching is actually large enough to cover the space.  All that work sure does pay off in the end, though.  

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,107
Points 110,295
Linny t replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 9:08 AM

Lillie:

Happy New Year everyone!

For NYE dinner I was going to get Thai food. I was looking at the menu this morning and realized they are closed on Mondays! Yikes-now what to do? I don't want to cook anything. Now I'm thinking Chinese food. I'll call them later and see if they are 1) open; and 2) deliver. Dang! If I had known they are closed on Mondays I would have ordered yesterday and just left them in the fridge. Or maybe I'll just stop by Whole Paycheck and see what they have in their freshly-made deli case. 

Lillie, I hope you find some Chinese or maybe even Thai food for delivery that you didn't know existed and tastes better than anything you knew of until now.  Now you have to tell what Whole Paycheck is.  Sounds like a gormet food store.  Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.  

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 11:31 AM

Linny t:

Now you have to tell what Whole Paycheck is.  Sounds like a gourmet food store.  Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.  

Whole Paycheck = Whole Foods grocery cuz it costs so dang much to shop there! It's funny. I say Whole Paycheck so often that I had to stop and think of the real name of the store.

Decided on finger foods with a Greek spin for this evening buffet for 2. 

northern colorado

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,107
Points 110,295
Linny t replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 7:42 PM

That's what I thought of Lillie.  We have one of those stores here, too.  Fun to shop at but not for groceries unless you want to go on a diet or, like you say, spend your whole paycheck.

Greek finger foods sound great.  I hope you both have an excellent evening together.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,107
Points 110,295
Linny t replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 7:49 PM

I just want to say Happy New Year to all of you.  Some of us have spent the whole year knowing each other and some we joined in along the way.  We've all done some pretty amazing work together and shared our lives- for the better or for the worse- with each other.  I call that great friendship.  You are the wisest women I know.  You all call me to excellence, both in my craft and in my self as a person.  I'm proud to call you all my friends. 

I pray that God shines His face on each of you in the new year.

Linny T

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,058
Points 41,250
Diane replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 8:03 PM

Thank you Linny.  I had trouble getting on here today but now I'm here so Happy New Year Everyone.  Linny--thank you for being our fearless leader!

I have enjoyed everyone in this group this year learning more about you and your lives.  Sharing our projects has been so much fun.  And this is a place where positive support and understanding is always given.  You are a great group of gals!

I love you all.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 6:41 AM

Thank you everyone for being so supportive and sharing your lives with me. And your mad stitching skills!!! I have learned so much from each and every person.

Happy New Year and God bless all of you.

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,488
Points 138,303

Happy New Year !

I enjoyed catching up on all the posts.

Robin,

I was amazed to read that you made Diane's turtles out of buttons! That makes them even cooler still! Now that I have taken the time to sort all the buttons, I think I like them better all mixed up together. LOL. Sounds like you are so close to getting HP done. I really want to try paper piecing one day. I'm not sure my mind can handle the upside downness of it, but I won't know until I try. Neat that you found inspiration for March block. I love how you have done your BOM's to reflect the happenings in your life. It's like a memory quilt all it's own.

Linny,

Your crafty day really makes me feel inspired to have a day for the girls here. Like Robin, I don't have local friends that are into qulting, but just to step out and have a tea party would be loads of fun.And a big ditto to Diane's comment thanking you for being our fearless leader. I'd have never even attempted this if it hadn't been for you. 

Lillie,

Greek finger foods sound excellent. We have a whole foods here, and I get the Whole Paycheck nickname. LOL I'm so happy you have joined our group. Happy New Year to you too.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,488
Points 138,303

Diane:

I have enjoyed everyone in this group this year learning more about you and your lives.  Sharing our projects has been so much fun.  And this is a place where positive support and understanding is always given.  You are a great group of gals!

I love you all.

Diane,

I couldn't say it better myself. It has been such a gift and so rewarding sharing with everyone.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,488
Points 138,303

I almost missed the ringing in of the New year. After I came home from Paul's, I had dinner and decided to have a nap. Six thirty isn't the best time for a nap. LOL. At midnight I was awakened by the sounds of my barking dogs and fireworks being set off around the neighborhood. Woohoo, Happy New Year, now stop scaring my dogs and go to sleep. LOL. I'm just kidding. I was wide awake by then and had fun thinking of people getting together and having fun.

Not sure what mischief I'll get into today, but I'll think of something.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,982
Points 64,180
Robin replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 9:31 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

I pray that you are all off to a good start for 2013!

To add my feelings to what everyone has already said.   You ladies rock!   It your warmth and friendship that makes me want to get on this website first thing every morning.   It is your open and generous spirits that make me feel like I am in a safe haven when I am with you.   It is your wisdom and guidance that makes me feel stronger and more confident at the beginning of 2013 than at the beginning of 2012.   You are woman of great courage, amazing insight and sweet gifts of spirit, friendship and love.     You are a true treasure in my life.

I have to  confess I missed the ball dropping in time square due to an abundance of sleepiness.   I started getting sleepy around 8 fought until and 11:30 and said to heck with it.    We usually watch the *** Clark Rock n New Years, which we did last night.  The tribute to him was neat but some of the announcers were a little to over the top for me.  My oldest went out with the boyfriend after dinner and a game here.   Just got a thank you from her boyfriend's family through fb for raising her, so I guess they had a good time.

They say that what you do New Year's day you will do all day so far I've slept.   I took a bit of a sleep aide last night so the barking dogs and fireworks would not wake me up after I went to bed and didn't get up til 9:30.  So  I guess sleeping will be better in 2013.   I really plan on sewing all day.  I hope that plan holds up.  The house has been returned to normal state and think I can focus on simply doing the things that I want to do.   I'll probably read a little bit to.  

Have a wonderful day 1 of 2013,  it is the first day of this year of your life.

Robin

'

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 286
Points 26,315

Stephanie:
Now that I have taken the time to sort all the buttons, I think I like them better all mixed up together. LOL

Stephanie, you made me laugh.  I spent hours during the last week while watching endless marathons of things I didn't care about watching again with Tim sorting my buttons.  Kyle was here for some of the sorting and has declared that there is no need for me to purchase buttons for the rest of my lifetime.  He has no idea what buying buttons means to a CQr.  Right up there with other embeliishments.  Can we ever have too much??  Not in my mind!!

I know that there are still more buttons someplace in the abyss called the dungeon that I have not found but the majority of my buttons have been sorted by color.  Now that they are sorted, I am not sure I am as inspired by them.  There is some good to have them sorted by color but there are going to be times when I will want to mix them and I am not sure that I will find exactly what I want with them divided up.

I am thinking about going thru each jar and pulling out some of the "special" buttons and mixing them back up.  There are also some vintage things which need to be together for a project that would not be appropriate for modern buttons.

I think my buttons will be a never ending source of something to sort.

Darlene

from Western New York

Page 306 of 366 (5486 items) «Prev304305306307308Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use