rated by 0 users
This post has 5,485 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 286
Points 26,315

Robin:
The Beast is conquered!

Robin, way to go!!.  It is a major accomplishment when you finish something of this magnitude and I have seen the pics.  You did a wonderful job and I am sure that he will love it more than words can express.

Your head wrap also sounds great.  How creative to be able to figure this out without a pattern.  I do not enjoy making things that need to be a specific size with or without a pattern.  Traditional quilting is about as specific as I get these days.  I gave up making clothing years ago.  I admire anyone who can do attire.

Your plans to clean and undecorate room by room is such a good plan.  Hope that you continue to work room by room and are satisfied with your progress when it is time to return to the classroom.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 286
Points 26,315

Linny t:
I was going to have a craft day today with my DS and SIL, but we changed it to tomorrow.  I'm glad we did because the weather will be much nicer tomorrow.

Linny, hoping that your craft day will be able to happen tomorrow and that the weather is better.

We had a bit more snow last night but I was relieved to not have to shovel.  Thursday morning was brutal.  The snow was so heavy that it took me what seemed like forever to get the driveway cleared and the sidewalk.  The visiting nurse called during one of my breaks for warmth and water to say she would be here in a half hour.  I told her to come to the door which was cleared because I had not cleaned off the front porch yet.  I did have a path to the front door and about half the steps cleared so she could get in when she arrived.  Thank goodness for 4 wheel drive.  I did not need to shovel down to the driveway to get out and I have been backing in the driveway since to ensure I can see to get out when I need to go anywhere.

Linny t:
Hope you all have a great Saturday - the last Saturday of 2012 - Make the best of it.

Doesn't seem possible that this is the last Saturday of the year.  I did make the best of it.  Went out and got a few groceries this morning.  I made some soup and chili this afternoon.  With the snow and cold weather it seemed a perfect day to simmer something hot.

The Spike channel has had a Star Wars marathon on today which Tim has watched.  I decided to spend as much of the day with him and made the best of watching the movies AGAIN.  Would not have been my choice but he has enjoyed the day so it was a good day.

I sorted Valentine's Day themed fabric and am getting ready to go up to the studio to work on some table toppers for the Artisan Shop.  We are doing a seasonal switch over next week and I want to be ahead of the game for the next season.  I missed the boat for Christmas and lost out on some sales.  I have some things made and stored in the barn from last year but the barn door is froze shut and after wading through knee deep snow (Tim tells me that was no major thing because my knees are too close to the ground.  LOL) I could not fight the door with any stamina so I surrendered.  Hoping that Kyle comes over tomorrow and is successful getting the door open.  If not, I will use up my fabric from last year purchased after the holiday.

Love your plans for the new year.  Stephanie has a tall order to fill but I am confident that she will be able to make good progress on all her plans as well.

For me--I hope to get back on track with FlyLady and do more decluttering around my house.  A major way I plan to declutter is to use my stash for future projects rather than buying new fabric.  I have sufficient stash to keep me out of mischief for a year.  Another step is the 15 minute daily projects.  I must admit that I can do anything for 15 minutes and it is amazing how much you can accomplish in 15 minutes.  The hardest part for me is stopping at the end of the 15 minutes. 

I also have several UFOs which I hope to tidy up and complete.  My plan for 2013 is also to complete a project before I start a new one.  This will be a challenge because some days my attention span is non-existant.  I must work to reduce the effects of my QADD [quilting attention deficit disorder]  With some support from my family and friends, I hope to conquer this disorder.  Are you ladies up to the task?

Lastly, dropping a few pounds would not be a bad thing.  I must get the garbage food out of the house and work on eatting healthier.  I had lost about 15 pounds after I left my job and was doing good but I have succumbed to the holiday junk and will be glad to be past the parties, etc.

Now, I must say good night and wish you all a Safe and Happy New Year.  Have a feeling I will not be on here again for the next few days.  Tim's test begins Wednesday morning and we will be busy with prep before then.  Then there will be the three or four days of going back and forth to the hospital.  Praying for dry roads and clear skys.

Be well.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,100
Points 110,185
Linny t replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 9:33 PM

Thanks, Darlene.  It's good to hear from you.

My NY daughter got 10" yesterday.  The girls were in the front yard making snow angels.  She had to shovel to get out and said she liked it because she has put on a few pounds from the holidays.

How cool that you watched Star Wars with Tim.  It must have made him feel good to have your company with the smells coming from your kitchen.  Made my mouth water just thinking about it.  I will pray that you don't have any travel issues this week coming.  It's bad enough making that trip over and over without worrying about the roads.  I'm also praying that they find where Tim's fluid is leaking out and fix it so he can get back to normal.  

I have to tell you, I wished I'd been practicing Fly Lady all year today.  Mercy how things can pile up in such a short while.  It's done and clean and I'm whooped, lol.  I may try to adopt the 15 minute thing.  Stopping after 15 min. is hard for me, too.  It always turns into a big project with me.

Hope Kyle comes by tomorrow so you can get your fabrics.  That's funny about Tim saying your knees are close to the ground.  Tim still has a sense of humor, doesn't he?  

As for finish something before starting something new....well...I'll think about it.  No promises.  I like starting things.  Someone's going to inherit a bunch of unfinished quilts when I'm gone.  If I had my sewing room I'd be more likely to say I would.  I have lots of tops to piece.  All cut out, applique done, just need to sit at the machine.  I don't like where I have to use my machine, so I don't very much.  Some day...some day...

I must say that I should commit to loosing a few pounds.  I'm hoping they drop off with the lack of sweets and rich foods in my "non-holiday" diet.  Oh, who am I kidding?  I haven't lost weight like that in years.  No, I will surely need to cut back eating and exercise.

Know that we're all thinking about you even when you can't post often.  Check in when you can.   

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,467
Points 138,003
Stephanie replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 2:46 AM

Darlene,

I sure don't envy you having to shovel snow like that! I hope Kyle does come by to help you get to the barn for your stash.

Bless your heart for spending time with Tim and going through the Star Wars Marathon and fixing some homeade soup. I have trouble sitting still that long, don't you? Yesterday morning it was Rifleman reruns. Mike looks forward to Saturday mornings like that. I'm sure Tim enjoyed you being there with him.

I'm so happy that you have a studio room this year and not in the cold basement. Nice that you have a jumpstart on the season changeover for Valentines Day. I have some UFO's to finish this year too. Maybe we can help keep each other on track. Linny and I have a lot in common for loving to  start new things. LOL. 

Thanks for mentioning The FlyLady. I was trying to think of that site the other day and couldn't remember what the name of it was. She's very inspirational.   

Darlene:
I must get the garbage food out of the house and work on eatting healthier. 

Mike and I were in Target yesterday and I was lecturing him about the same thing. We did real well picking up a fresh fruit and a vegetable tray to take to Paul's for snacks. Then he saw that all of the Christmas candy was 50% off. He's not helping. LOL. Of course he doesn't force feed it to me either. LOL

Hope all goes well in repping for Tim's tests and will pray for dry roads and clear skies for you. Happy quilting!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,467
Points 138,003
Stephanie replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 3:07 AM

Linny t:
I cleaned all day.  I cleaned everything.  Once I started I couldn't stop, darn it.

Woo  eee, You go girl! Look forward to hearing about your day.

Linny t:
I liked it when we'd have an ice storm overnight and wake up to those crystal blue skies and an ice palace all around in the trees with the sun shining through.

That was my favorite too. No camera could ever capture the beauty of it like seeing it in person. It was amazing that the tree branches could hold the weight of it. 

We're going back to Paul's for part of the day. I have been promising to do a woodgrain on his garage door and now that the weather's cooler there's no excuse not to get out there and do it. He's on shift today so he'll be surprised tomorrow morning. Mike's going to come along and do some laundry and spiffing up for him. Paul's  flying up to meet his girl's parents Tuesday and since Mike had to move some of the things from the garage into his living room, and he couldn't get to the washer it seems a nice gesture to do that.

Hopefully in the afternoon I'll be able to get some quilting done. I had started the quilting on Nana's MQ that she designed months ago, and I'm ready to get it back out and finish it.  

I think I may go back and snooze for another hour or two. After all it is Sunday, day of rest. 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 332
Points 9,095

Stephanie:
The snow does sound nice though

We have probably 2 inches of snow on the ground and 27 degrees this morning (30th).  It was snowing real heavy yesterday and I was hoping we would get a lot more snow.  Now that I am retired I love to see the snow......when I worked I hated it because I was so afraid to drive in it.  Sammy, (my wierd cat) didn't use the kitty litter all summer; but now that there is snow on the ground he uses it.  I guess snow doesn't cover up too good.  lol   Most cats come in to use the kitty litter even in the summer.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,974
Points 63,980
Robin replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 6:37 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

I hope this is a Splendid Sunday for everyone.  Clear and cold in my neck of the woods.   We are expecting a high today of 54, which isn't to bad.  But looks like the lowest hi for the week if the weather report is correct.  

Today I plan on doing just stuff.  Nothing specific but going to the way the wind blows.   I've got several new books I want to read, so I'll probably do that and Harry Potter Paper Piecing is spread all of my sewing table and I only have two blocks left.  (I think), so they get top billing. 

Diane,  I have two brothers, Jeff, the younger of the two and the middle child,  and Bryan, the oldest of the three of us.   Bryan is the one I made the Mariner's Compass for and was in the Navy.   He's always lived far away so we are not very close.  He was very proud of his quilt yesterday and appreciated the letter as well.   Jeff, I made a Disappearing  Nine Patch for this Christmas also.  I didn't post a picture of his quilt but it was made out of the flannels.  I made it sturdy because I knew he would use it often.  Jeff and I live within an hour and 1/2 of each other, so our children have grown up together.   His wife and I taught together for several years.  He is the one that I wrote about not sharing his letter with Mama on Christmas day.   He's also the one I made the divinity for yesterday.   He is the one I'm closest to.   

For those of you living in the snowy states I hope the weather is not to bad and that you are getting to enjoy the  change somewhat.  

See ya later,

Robin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 7:10 AM

Robin:

Good Morning Everyone,

I hope this is a Splendid Sunday for everyone.  Clear and cold in my neck of the woods.   We are expecting a high today of 54, which isn't to bad.  But looks like the lowest hi for the week if the weather report is correct.  

Our high on Monday is going to be 19. Expecting a small snow storm to breeze through today and tonight. But it's only 30%-40% change of snow. Usually that means we get nothing.

Today we are going to clean the basement from floor to ceiling...YAY!!! We are almost finished with the bar area. Just picking out backsplash and after it's installed (by us) we'll be DONE!  Double YAY!!!

Have a splendid Sunday everyone!

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,467
Points 138,003
Stephanie replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 7:24 AM

normajo1030:
We have probably 2 inches of snow on the ground and 27 degrees this morning (30th).  It was snowing real heavy yesterday and I was hoping we would get a lot more snow.  Now that I am retired I love to see the snow......when I worked I hated it because I was so afraid to drive in it. 

I used to hate driving in it too Jo. At least I had a really heaavy car back then, An old Chevy Impala. It handled well, and it had a good heater. Thank goodness. Sammy is funny about not wanting to do his business in the snow. Otis is the first totally indoor cat I ever had. Someone had raised him in a cage the first two years of his life and after I adopted him from the Humane Society he sneaked out and got mauled by something. He just has no fear of anything, so it makes him easy prey. Guess he thinks all the world loves him like I do. :0)

Glad you're in and can enjoy the day.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,467
Points 138,003
Stephanie replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 7:25 AM

Sorry duplicate post.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,467
Points 138,003
Stephanie replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 7:33 AM

Robin:

It's chilly here too. For us anyway. LOL And windy. Don't know if I can work out in this or not. My ears are very sensitive to cold winds for some reason. Don't own a hat.My first plan was to get out there early, but now I'm going to wait.

Robin:

Today I plan on doing just stuff.  Nothing specific but going to the way the wind blows.   I've got several new books I want to read, so I'll probably do that and Harry Potter Paper Piecing is spread all of my sewing table and I only have two blocks left.  (I think), so they get top billing. 

It seems a good day to tuck in and read a book. Or work on Harry Potter quilt. What you have done so far is beautiful. That was so sweet to read that Bryan loved his quilt and letter. Makes it all worth it, doesn't it. That just reminded me that I have one more tablecloth to make for my sis.

Whatever way the wind blows you today, I hope your Sunday is splendid as well.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,467
Points 138,003
Stephanie replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 7:40 AM

Lillie:

Today we are going to clean the basement from floor to ceiling...YAY!!! We are almost finished with the bar area. Just picking out backsplash and after it's installed (by us) we'll be DONE!  Double YAY!!!

That's great news about being so close to finishing the bar area. I didn't realize you had done another pour for it. Too cool. Hope you post a pic for us, and take it easy on your back today.   

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,100
Points 110,185
Linny t replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 9:34 PM

I just love reading all the posts when I get behind.  This is such a great group.  Sounds like everyone had a great Sunday.

Lillie, congrats on getting the basement cleaned top to bottom and being so close to done with the bar area.  Hope you post pics.  Sounds like it's really special.

Robin, hope your day was good whichever way the wind blew you.  Today was chilly here, too.  Then of course we read about snow falling and 19 degrees and we realize that we are having just a cool snap.  I say that with 2 pairs of heavy socks on trying to keep my feet warm with the heater going in the background, lol.  I'm glad but not surprised that Bryan liked his quilt.  He's lucky to get a beautiful thing like that.  Jeff sounds like my one brother was for me.  He was the youngest brother and I was the baby of the family, sort of like you and Jeff.  A flannel quilt is so much like a big warm hug that lasts and lasts.  I'm sure they will both cherish their quilts and think of you every time they cover up with them. 

Stephanie, how did your wood graining go in Paul's garage?  It was so nice of Mike to do some laundry for him.  Can't tell you 2 love that guy much, can you?

Our craft day went splendidly.  First we had a light lunch and exchanged little crafty gifts.  Then we all dug in on our favorite crafts and talked and talked over peppermint tea and almond crescents.  Then when we got hungry again we ate more.  They stayed until just before dark.  

Then I tried to get on the internet and it wasn't working.  I couldn't figure out why, so I gave up.  A little while ago it dawned on me that I had unplugged some things so we could all have a power strip to plug in our craft lights, etc.  

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,467
Points 138,003
Stephanie replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 5:14 AM

Linny t:
Our craft day went splendidly.  

So happy to hear you all had such a good time. What kind of projects did you all work on? Peppermint tea and almond cresents sound delightful. I haven't had either of those in ages.

Forgetting that you unplugged your internet sounds like something I'd do. LOL. At leat that's all it was. Are you back to work today?

We didn't stay too long at Pauls. Mike wanted to get back to watch football. We're going back this morning. I wish he'd have told me so that I wouldn't have stayed up so late. I was organizing some stuff in my sewing room and time flew by and before I knew it it was midnight. At 5:00 he came in telling me it was time to get up. It's only 47 outside right now. Too cold to put paint on, but I can hang out for a while first. The second pair of socks sounds like a good idea.

I did really well on eating light yesterday. I tried to keep busy so I wasn't just grabbing snacks. I spent about 2 hours sorting through my buttons and separating them by color. Then on ebay to see if they had some offerings. Buttons must be popular right now. Some of the bids were up there pretty high. Timing is everything I guess.  

Are you back to work today?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,974
Points 63,980
Robin replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 5:51 AM

Hi Everyone,

Sounds like yesterday was a good day to be crafty.

I thought I would finish the Harry Potter squares yesterday but I still have one and 1/2 more to go!  ugh!   But I can only do so much of the little tiny stuff then it's time to move on to something bigger.   So I rebuild and redesigned March in my BOM, which I'm way behind on.  I got stuck on March and couldn't get off but I think I'm back on track.  I also did a little Wii fit yesterday.   I've got to find something to get me moving.   Read a little bit of the new Jennifer Chiaverini novel the "Giving Quilt"  and did some of the job that never ends,  laundry.

Linny,  Your crafty day sounds like so much fun.   Sipping tea, chatting and playing sounds so warm and inviting.  I think that sometimes that's the only thing I don't like about crafting is the loneliness.   If it wasn't for this group I don't know who I would talk to about quilt squares and charms.  

Stephanie,  I love buttons too.   I love to find them hiding in antique stores and such.  Diane's turtle are made out of buttons I collected up in some antique store.  When I went hunting green buttons I had to dig through the hold jar not deciated enough to sort them all out. 

Diane,  I hope you had a productive Sunday too.   Sounds like the weather is extactly what you guys expect this time of the year.  All you snowbunnies need to be careful in your frozen, slippery, winter wonderland.  

Lillie,  Good luck with finishing the basement.  I think Donn and I are going to DIY our kitchen some this summer.  Although I would love to demolish it and start over that just doesn't seem to be in the budget right now.   Instead it looks like painting cabinets, tiling the back splash  and replacing the flooring might be what the doctor ordered.   Stephanie if you get bored you can come up and supervise.    We done some remodeling before I'm just not looking forward to rearranging my house for a make shift kitchen.  But you got do what you got do.   First will see if DH is really bought in on the plan.  

I wish everyone  a Happy New Year's Eve and hope that your day is bright and filled with lots of creative opportunities.

Robin

Page 305 of 366 (5486 items) «Prev303304305306307Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use