My Day.......

rated by 0 users
This post has 5,485 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,090
Points 41,770
Diane replied on Sat, Dec 1 2012 12:23 PM

I love the ribbons---thanks. I don't know if I could get these brilliant colors if I dye them myself.  Stephanie--have you dyed your own ribbons?  I would like some tips.

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,090
Points 41,770
Diane replied on Sat, Dec 1 2012 12:59 PM

Congratulations Robin for becoming certified!  If you get sick of teaching.....lol

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,551
Points 139,363

Diane:
Stephanie--have you dyed your own ribbons?  I would like some tips.

I have done laces and velvet and wool with the Jacquard dye na flow, but no ribbon yet. I think Linny might have done some ribbon. This is a heat set product and the colors are very nice and can be mixed easily to come up with other colors, and watered down for paler color. It's an easy clean up with just soap and water.

I have some dyeable ribbon in my stash. If Linny doesn't check in, or my info is wrong, I will try out the dyenaflow on it and we can go from there.  

I am giving you a link to the product. They recommend this one for beginners, and then who knows if you like the process working up to real dyes. http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1605-AA.shtml

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,090
Points 41,770
Diane replied on Sat, Dec 1 2012 3:31 PM

Thanks Stephanie.  I've dyed laces with dyenaflow and I liked it so I'll probably do ribbons at some point.  That's a good site and I saved it in my bookmarks.  There is a lot to choose from.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,173
Points 111,375
Linny t replied on Sat, Dec 1 2012 8:46 PM

Diane:

Here's the photo!

Oooohhhhh!

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,173
Points 111,375
Linny t replied on Sat, Dec 1 2012 8:48 PM

Stephanie:
I bet they have some wild games there!
 Yes, most of the young men are missing at least 1 tooth in the front, lol.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,173
Points 111,375
Linny t replied on Sat, Dec 1 2012 8:51 PM

Robin:

Good morning everyone,

Happy December first!  Only 24 days til Christmas.  I can't believe how fast this year has gone. And I just manage to get use to writing 2012 on everything. 

I also can't believe I forgot to share with allof you that I made a 93 on my safeserv test.   I'm now certified to manage a restaurant , scary thought.   Anyway the morning will be meetings and hopefully quilters cove this afternoon .

Robin

)4

Happy December 1st to you, too Robin.  

Congratulations on your certification, too!  Hope you got to Quilters Cove.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,551
Points 139,363
Stephanie replied on Sat, Dec 1 2012 10:48 PM

Diane:
 I've dyed laces with dyenaflow and I liked it so I'll probably do ribbons at some point.

Somehow your question got me out of my "I really don't want to do anything mode into  experimenting with the airbrush, and using the dye na flow on silk ribbon, Bless your heart for doing that!  I have been wanting to do a test to get an even look to this and not a "tie dyed look" . I had a large quilting hoop that I have had for ages that spans a perfect arms length of ribbon to thread. I taped the edge and wrapped it, and taped the other side. You'll see in the picture. A cheap poster frame would work too. The pic is using the airbrush with the dyenaflow. I was really happy with the lack of waste in the product and happy too that it was pretty even for the first time not overloading it with the product to make it drip and dry heavily in the silk. I used red color in the experiment.

Tomorrow, I'll press it to heat set and see how the sheen and color look, and then I will also use a brush on the left over white ribbon still taped and see if the same results will happen.

Anyway, here's a practice pic so far:

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,551
Points 139,363
Stephanie replied on Sat, Dec 1 2012 10:56 PM

Linny t:
Yes, most of the young men are missing at least 1 tooth in the front, lol.

ROFLOL.

I was kind of lulling my way through the game tonight and then I saw a "Muse". Not my muse, LOL, but the players name was Muse number 40.  Not sure if he was missing a tooth or not, but I would think that with those sticks and pucks flying around there probably is a really happy team dentist out there somewhere. LOL

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,018
Points 65,045
Robin replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 6:20 AM

Good morning everyone ,

I'm up and ready to ride.   The girls are still Asleep but it won't be long and we'll be on the way hope.  I made it to the quilt shop and was so excited to find they still had some of the background I had bought for my hp quilt almost a year ago. Got three more yards which should finish the job.

robin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 7:12 AM

Stephanie- the red paint application looks really smooth and evenly applied. Do yu have to buy special PFD silk ribbon, or can you just use white silk ribbon?

Where did you say you got that air brush machine?

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 7:16 AM

Good find on the additional fabric Robin. what a great surprise for you. I know it's hard to find the same fabric, especially a year later.

northern colorado

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,173
Points 111,375
Linny t replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 7:18 AM

Stephanie, I'd say that was a real success.  I've dyed silk ribbon with dyn a flow but never had good control over the mess.  This seems like there's no waste at all.  Now I know why I got an airbrush.  Thanks for sharing this.  It gives a real even tone.  In my experience with Dyn a flow, neither the hand nor the sheen of the ribbon wasn't affected at all.

By the way, Silkribbon.com has good prices on raw silk ribbon for dying in bulk quantities.  

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,173
Points 111,375
Linny t replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 7:24 AM

Robin, finding your HP fabric again is wonderful.  We've all been in the position of having to substitute some other fabric because we couldn't find it again.  I'm happy for your finding it.  Hope you have a fun and productive day.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,173
Points 111,375
Linny t replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 7:36 AM

I just had to post again about what I like about your technique.  I like the idea of putting it on the frame.  It keeps it elevated so the dye doesn't puddle.  I didn't see much over spray.  That's great control.  I have one of those 36" hoops.  Right now it's got muslin in it and I use it for a tiny design wall.  It may get a vacation next time I dye ribbon, lol.  

Linny T

Page 279 of 366 (5486 items) «Prev277278279280281Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use