rated by 0 users
This post has 5,485 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 286
Points 26,315

Linny t:
so many levels to this cancer thing

Linny, I hadn't thought about it like this but you have worded it exactly right.  There are so many things that the patient does not always know how to discuss or maybe doesn't want to. 

Linny t:
She also gets "chemo brain". 

When Tim was going thru chemo for his leukemia, we called it "chemo mush brain".  That was the term his oncologist used and it was so appropriate to that time in his life.  He found that it got better in between treatments and after he finished chemo, he found that it was just a faint memory of fog.  I hope that Barb finds the same to be true for her.

The trouble with organizing and remembering is so much something that we don't understand if we are not the patient.  It can be frustrating for family to watch a  loved one who was so organized and good at details lose that.  I have a dear friend who had a benign brain tumor several years ago.  She never had to undergo chemo because it was benign.  The doctors used a special radiation treatment and the tumor has begun to show signs of imploding after all these years.  Anyway, my point is that she was a math teacher and was very good with numbers and details.  Recently I was joking about something she was struggling with and she told me that since her radiation treatment, she isn't as good at those things anymore.  She chided me about being unforgiving since Tim has had the same procedures, I should have known better.  I just never thought about it.  Tim does so much to play down his shortcomings that I don't think about the fact that science has changed him.  I am glad to have him with me and do not regret the changes but I forget sometimes.r

Today we went to see the surgeon for follow up.  He was very concerned with the eye droop and facial weakness Tim is experiencing.  He ordered a CAT scan and we had to go over to the hospital to have that done. We are now home waiting for the doctor to call and tell us the results.  It has been a couple  hours and we haven't heard so I am trying to believe that means that everything is fine. 

Tomorrow will be a very busy day.  PT comes at 9 AM, we see the eye doctor at 1 PM and the ENT at 2 PM.  Have to drive to Rochester to see doctors.  Tim is dreading it already.  His energy level is still so low and he struggled today to walk into the doctor's office.  I put him in a wheel chair at the hospital because I knew that there was no way he would be able to walk to radiology. 

While I waited for Tim, I read some interesting material for caregivers.  I would not ordinarily be reading in the waiting room but I was not planning to be in the radiology waiting room and did not take my crocheting with me today.  Anyway, good stuff and I feel better about the feelings I have been having.  I have struggled recently with some anger because of everything that has happened.  This is normal and I know that I need to do better about taking care of myself so that I can care for Tim.  I read that over 40%[can't tell you exact #] of people over the age of 50 are caregivers to a parent or spouse or both.  By next year, they estimate that this will be 49%.  Amazing statistic. 

Lillie, I am glad you continue to enjoy your time with your sista.  You will be heading home before you know it.  Make wonderful memories while you can.

Robin, I have been praying for your daughter.  I am sure that the trials she is encountering will make her stronger.   I hope that your time at FCCLA will be less than exhausting and that you will be able to go to the quilt shop.

Diane, hoping that your ribbon arrives as promised.  I am glad you were a squeaky wheel and spoke up.  We tend to allow people to take advantage of our good nature and give us less than good customer service.  If it does not arrive, continue to speak up.

Stephanie, glad you are busy but hoping that you are able to find time for creative opportunities.    Your work on Diane's block is beautiful.

Linny, Barb continues to be in my prayers.  I hope that her counts go up sufficiently so that she is able to have the tests and that when she does, the results are all good.

I must get back to sewing.  I have so many irons in the fires and open house will be here before I am ready for it.

Hope all are having a good day.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,117
Points 110,495
Linny t replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 4:10 PM

Darlene:
There are so many things that the patient does not always know how to discuss or maybe doesn't want to. 

Barb calls it the "what ifs".

I sure hope Tim's tests all come out okay.  I can relate to the angry part.  It's like there's just all the stuff that life brings normally and then your loved one has this going on, too.  Makes it all so unfair and there's no way to get away from that. 

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,493
Points 138,373
Stephanie replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 3:52 AM

Darlene,

I tried to reply last night and got an error message. Thank you for sharing your experiences  with Tim and his treatment experiences. It really helps to know these things to understand the other changes a person and caretaker go through. I think back about Mike's stroke, and if I hadn't seen his Dad after his, I wouldn't have been able to recognize he was having one, or know that all that emotionalness was a result. Posts like this are coping mechanisms. I'm hoping that Tim's tests come back ok. Those statistics for caregivers are pretty incredible.  

Darlene:
glad you are busy but hoping that you are able to find time for creative opportunities.    Your work on Diane's block is beautiful.

Thank you. I hope that I will have time to do that as well. It would be a lot easier if I had a bookeeper. Having my poor head have to bounce back and forth from creative to analytical is getting harder as I get older. Someday, maybe I'll go back to having a easier job that I can come home and leave those cares behind.  Doing this RR has been very uplifting for me. I know there is a big part of me that needs to be doing something creative, and this has been a great outlet for that.

Hope your day goes well with all of the appointments.... Hugs and prayers are out to you.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,493
Points 138,373
Stephanie replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 5:52 AM

Linny t:
I can relate to the angry part.  It's like there's just all the stuff that life brings normally and then your loved one has this going on, too.  Makes it all so unfair and there's no way to get away from that. 

I think it's going to be, and  is harder for us in our generation. Most of my older girlfriends were retired by our age and pretty much all they had to focus on  was caring for and coping with the stresses of aging and illness. It's really difficult to have so much going on and have to go to work with the extra stresses on your mind. I know the hardest thing I ever did was having to leave Mike after his stroke and go in and pretend everything was ok and do my job. I'd come home and he'd be so needy and I was so exhausted. I'm so glad we have each other here to help us get through these struggles and of course our Faith.  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,991
Points 64,375
Robin replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 7:00 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

I am ever more impressed with this group.  The way you ladies have been sharing and supporting each other in the last few days of posting has been incredible.  And they say you can't have real relationships over a computer.   They haven't met this group.

Darlene-- I pray that you and Tim will get good news and it will be soon.

Diane--- Way to go.  It's very difficult sometimes to squeak.

Lillie--- Save travel home.

Stephanie and Linny--- I hope you both get some rest this weekend.

As for me, I'm packed and about ready to hit the road with my two darling daughters, and I'll get to see some great friend, so it's really not a bad trip.   I hope you all have a great weekend.   I'll be checking in on all of you so don't do anything I wouldn't do.  :)

Robin

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 7:10 AM

Diane-did you get your ribbon yet?

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,493
Points 138,373
Stephanie replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 7:24 AM

Robin:
As for me, I'm packed and about ready to hit the road with my two darling daughters, and I'll get to see some great friend, so it's really not a bad trip.   I hope you all have a great weekend. 

Have a safe and wonderful trip Robin.

Robin:
I'll be checking in on all of you so don't do anything I wouldn't do.  :)

LOL. I will try to behave.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,062
Points 41,300
Diane replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 11:58 AM

Lillie:
Diane-did you get your ribbon yet?

She has written 2 emails telling me that the tracking shows it will be delivered today so we will see.

Yesterday I spent most of the day on Robin's block. I hope the ribbons arrive today so I can do more.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,117
Points 110,495
Linny t replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 3:22 PM

Stephanie:
I think it's going to be, and  is harder for us in our generation. Most of my older girlfriends were retired by our age and pretty much all they had to focus on  was caring for and coping with the stresses of aging and illness. It's really difficult to have so much going on and have to go to work with the extra stresses on your mind. I know the hardest thing I ever did was having to leave Mike after his stroke and go in and pretend everything was ok and do my job. I'd come home and he'd be so needy and I was so exhausted. I'm so glad we have each other here to help us get through these struggles and of course our Faith.  

I know that had to be aweful for you, Stephanie.  Trying to suck it all in and be brave on the outside only goes so far.  All you want to do is be with the person you're caring for or at least be near them and "available" to them.  More and more people are needing to work well into their retirement years, it's true.  I'm so glad I have you all in this group.  I say things to you I wouldn't to co-workers or even my grown daughters.  You all are a caring bunch of ladies.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,117
Points 110,495
Linny t replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 3:24 PM

Robin:

As for me, I'm packed and about ready to hit the road with my two darling daughters, and I'll get to see some great friend, so it's really not a bad trip.   I hope you all have a great weekend.   I'll be checking in on all of you so don't do anything I wouldn't do.  :)

Have a safe trip, Robin.  I hope you have a great time with your daughters and friends.  If you do something we wouldn't do you have to promise to tell about it, lol.

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 3:29 PM

I'm not getting any notifications from any of the groups I belong to. I had a whole bunch of emails and then they just disappeared from my inbox. That's just so weird.

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 3:41 PM

Have a safe trip Robin.

I've really had a horrible time posting today. Hope this post goes through.

northern colorado

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,117
Points 110,495
Linny t replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 3:53 PM

Lillie:

I'm not getting any notifications from any of the groups I belong to. I had a whole bunch of emails and then they just disappeared from my inbox. That's just so weird.

That is strange.  I don't know why they can't just fix it.  It used to be no problem using this site.  Now it's anyone's guess if it'll work or not.

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,062
Points 41,300
Diane replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 4:15 PM

I missed it---where is Robin going with her 2 beautiful girls?   Have a great time Robin!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,493
Points 138,373
Stephanie replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 5:00 PM

Linny t:
If you do something we wouldn't do you have to promise to tell about it, lol.

ROFLOL.

UPS just delivered my airbrush set. I'm really impressed so far. The three airbrushes are all housed in their own cases, and the compressor is very quiet. Years ago when I had one, I bought a small compressor and it was so noisy, I couldn't stand to use it. There aren't any specific usage instructions on the airbrushes themselves, just take apart spec's. So, I'll have to play around and see which one works best for what I need it for. Something I never thought about is you can use these to facepaint, decorate cakes, and do touchups on nicks in furniture too.

I got persuaded to do a facepainting (by hand) gig for a fundraiser one time. It was crazy!!! Lots of excited little kids fighting over each other. "Do me first" ! LOL. I managed to sway them  to think about the colors and what they wanted me to paint and they started interacting with each other looking everything over and chattering about what designs they wanted. Phew! I haven't been swarmed by that many kids in a very long time. 

We got invited to a hockey game tomorrow. I'm not much for sports, but I do like to go to those. I like the music, the fast pace and people watching. They still do the Hokey Pokey, LOL! It's too fun to watch all kinds of people get up and do it for the kids and for the kid in themselves.

Time to go play with my new toy.   

Page 277 of 366 (5486 items) «Prev275276277278279Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use