rated by 0 users
This post has 5,485 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 355
Points 27,285
Darlene replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 12:03 PM

Linny t:

I have to work tomorrow and you can be it won't be on fun stuff.  Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll let us go early. 

Linny, I agree that working the day before a holiday is never fun.  I hated that about being in the service work environment.  Your work is unfortunately neccessary and thus requires that someone work tomorrow.

I will be hoping that the office is slow and that your boss takes mercy on you and sends you home early.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 355
Points 27,285
Darlene replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 12:08 PM

Robin, I am so thankful that the stress of the test is behind you.  Now just the waiting for the results. 

I am sure that you did your best and that all will be fine.

What a blessing to be a certified instructor.  This is something to be proud of.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 355
Points 27,285
Darlene replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 12:10 PM

Lillie, belated well wishes for your travels.  Hope that you have arrived safely and will enjoy your time together with your sista.

If you are able, please post and keep us updated on your adventures.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 355
Points 27,285
Darlene replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 12:15 PM

Diane:
Families make you emotional.

How true Diane.  Unfortunately, it seems that the emotions just become amplified during the holiday seasons.

Wishing all my CQ friends a calm and stress free holiday.

I have learned that the best way to deal with this is to seperate myself from whatever stress is avoidable.  There are some things that I must participate in and so I pray to God for strength and wisdom to deal with what comes my way in the best manner.  There will be somethings during the next few days which will cause stress but God is in control and I am trusting that He knows best. 

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,159
Points 43,045
Diane replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 12:16 PM

I can't tell you how many Thanksgivings, Christmases, New Years and all other holidays I worked being a nurse.  Darlene is right.  It's a wonderful thing to work Mon-Fri and have holidays off.  I even went to check on a patient at home once Christmas day because of her blood pressure.  Sorry to be unsympathetic but it wasn't easy.  I guess I am so happy that I am now retired and can do what I want and enjoy the holidays.  I always thought I would work until retirement age but God had other plans for me. 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 355
Points 27,285

Wishing you all a blessed Thanksgiving. 

I feel blessed this year to have Tim home.  He continues to regain his strength and is slowly healing.  His swallowing is still not as good as the therapists would like.  He remains on a soft food diet with thickened liquids.  He is not fond of the thickened liquids and is not drinking as much as he should be the visiting nurse today said that he is meeting minimum requirements.  This is a start.  He has been upgraded to soft fruits and veggies.  He can now have canned fruits and veggies which gives him texture and some more variety.  His meats all need to be ground and covered in sauces or gravy.  He is getting tired of the same thing all the time and I will have to either borrow my mother's meat grinder or see if the butcher will grind some pork to give another option.

Kyle will be working on Thanksgiving and so we will not be seeing him on the holiday.  MIL, my mom and I are going to a local church who is offering Thanksgiving dinner to those who wish to join them.  We will bring home a dinner for Tim in case there is something on the plate which appeals to him.  He will have ground turkey in place of the sliced.  Mom also wants to get one for Kyle.  I haven't heard from him whether he wants one.

Kyle works for Walmart and is concerned with the threats of striking in front of the store.  He is non-confrontational and would struggle to cross a picket line if one happens in front of our local store.  My thoughts are if you believe that strongly that Walmart should not make their employees work [be open], don't shop and next year maybe they will be closed.  These stores only open because there are people who will shop.  If they didn't meet their expenses for being open, they would reconsider repeating the practice on future holidays.

Okay I am off my soap box.

Wishing all of you a thoughtful Thanksgiving with blessings abound.  Don't eat too much turkey or spend too much time watching football. We are looking forward to the dog show.  This has become a family tradition and Tim is especially glad that he will be able to watch this year.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,103
Points 66,975
Robin replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 3:23 PM

Darlene,

I am so glad to hear that Tim is showing signs of improvement.   I know that is some relief for you.

Sorry to hear that Kyle will not be with you on Thanksgiving.  I know it will be hard not having your entire family together.   Also hate hearing that he is in such an uncomfortable position.   I hate confrontation myself so I would be stuck between a rock and a hard place too.   Maybe he can go in the back door.   I agree that it would be nice if people would learn to solve their problems without involving the entire population. 

Funny you mention the dog show that's one of our traditions.  Donn's grandma loves it.  Like you are thankful for Tim, we're thankful for another holiday with her  she's 97 years old.  And is such a hoot.

Enjoy your day and here's hoping to many more Thanksgivings  for you and Tim.

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 4:51 PM

Darlene,

Happy to hear that Tim is home and improving. Can't say I blame him not liking to eat that kind of diet. Bless his heart. At least he's progressed to canned fruits and veggies. I don't envy you trying to find some kind of variety in that either. I know you do what you need to.

Poor Kyle being so young and caught up in threats of a strike. And a shame that he won't be there for Thanksgiving. We've shifted our Thanksgiving and Christmas around to accomodate Paul's duty days with the Fire Dept., and many times taken in dishes. It's different of course than a retail establishment just being open to make a buck.

Darlene:
Wishing all of you a thoughtful Thanksgiving with blessings abound.  Don't eat too much turkey or spend too much time watching football. 

Right back at ya! It'll be football in our house I'm sure. I'll be so busy in the kitchen I won't notice.

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,159
Points 43,045
Diane replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 4:58 PM

Darlene--it's nice to hear that Tim is making progress.  It's so hard to be a caregiver and see your loved ones have a hard time.  Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

I will be visiting with my best girlfriend and her family.  My contribution will be a chocolate silk cake from Marie Callender.  It's a good addition to pumpkin pie.  

I hope everyone has a happy Thanksgiving.  Looking forward to turkey and dressing!!!

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 5:04 PM

Hope everyone is having a good day.

I've been paring down a grocery list for Thursday. The temptation to cook a months worth of food in a day  always seems to take over. LOL. Good thing I have a huge dining room table.  I'm looking so forward to the day. Haven't seen Paul in several weeks, and it'll be nice to have his new girl here and have some real visiting time. She's a sweetie.

Robin,

Hope you had a great day, in your travels as the Madhatter. LOL. You do so much. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 5:07 PM

Diane,

Hope you have a great time! I love chocolate silk pie. You just had to mention that! LOL Definitely a good addition. Happy Thanksgiving to you. Yay for turkey and stuffing. Wish I had some already.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,313
Points 113,595
Linny t replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 6:22 PM

Darlene, I'm happy to hear Tim is progressing.  Your plans for Thanksgiving sound so appropriate considering Tim not being able to eat regular and Kyle not being there.  The point of the day is give thanks, so I know there's no shortage of that going on at your house.  I've never watched the dog show, but I like to watch them sometimes, so maybe I'll look for it.  Sounds like a nice restful day for Tim and no big meals to prepare for you.  Also, your mom won't be left out of the mix.

I'm with you on the Wal-Mart thing.  I would think there will be police there to control it because it's against the law to block access to the store.  I hope Kyle doesn't have any troubles.  He probably wishes they were closed on Thanksgiving, too, but what choice does he have about it?  I'm sure he needs his job, so, I hope they leave him alone.  Wal-Mart being open on Thanksgiving is not the worse thing that's going on in the world.  The protesters would spend their energy better if they protested some real travesty.  Our world is full of them.

I can tell you I won't be watching football, but on the subject of turkey, I was wondering if you knew what "too much" was like.  I haven't encountered that yet, lol.  

I hope you have a blessed Thanksgiving.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,313
Points 113,595
Linny t replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 6:24 PM

Diane:
I will be visiting with my best girlfriend and her family.  My contribution will be a chocolate silk cake from Marie Callender.  It's a good addition to pumpkin pie.  
  Mmmmm, that sounds yummy.  Maybe I need to get one of those, too, lol.  I hope you have a really nice time with your friend and her family, Diane.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,313
Points 113,595
Linny t replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 6:29 PM

Stephanie:

Hope everyone is having a good day.

I've been paring down a grocery list for Thursday. The temptation to cook a months worth of food in a day  always seems to take over. LOL. Good thing I have a huge dining room table.  I'm looking so forward to the day. Haven't seen Paul in several weeks, and it'll be nice to have his new girl here and have some real visiting time. She's a sweetie.

It sounds like you're preparing a grand meal, Stephanie.  It's going to be a wonderful day for your family.  I bet Paul's dreaming about the food already, lol.  Mike, too, for that matter.  What dishes to you make traditionally?

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,313
Points 113,595
Linny t replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 6:31 PM

Darlene:
I will be hoping that the office is slow and that your boss takes mercy on you and sends you home early
 Thanks, Darlene.

Linny T

Page 267 of 366 (5486 items) «Prev265266267268269Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use