This post has 5,485 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,987
Points 64,310
Robin replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 3:30 PM

Stephanie:

Robin:

Stephanie,  any idea when you are mailing Lillie's block?????

I was going to mail it out this past Monday and time seems to have slipped away.  So much happening. I'll get it in tomorrow.

Happy Friday to you too. Enjoy your weekend. I'll check back in after company leaves on Sat afternoon.

No rush I just wanted to make sure that I knew when to expect it, so I could keep an eye out for it.  Have fun with your company.

Robin

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,987
Points 64,310
Robin replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 3:35 PM

Hi Everyone,

Hat day is over and it went well.  We raised about 100.00 for Hats Off.   Hopefully that will allow them to buy several hats that the  kids would like.  

The day went a lot smoother than I thought and a lot faster thanks goodness.   I've got to head out in a minute to an elementary school's fall festival.  We're supplying a little help.  So I want to go out and make sure the kids are settled in before I call it a day. 

Linny don't get blown away by the wind. 

Norma Jo,

Isn't funny how we feel about this group?   I referred to yall as my quilting friends too!   I'm so happy to have some people to talk to about things, including quilting.  No one in my age group in my home town quilts they all think it's a granny thing.

Robin

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,113
Points 110,370
Linny t replied on Fri, Oct 26 2012 4:54 PM

Robin, glad to hear you had a pretty good day.  Fall festivals with little ones are fun.  I love those little excited faces.  Yes, it's really windy here.  Is it by you?

I don't know how I would get through some stuff without all you ladies.  It's such an honor to have you all as friends.  I have the same thing in my area Robin - no one my age quilts around here either.  It's more than quilting, though.  It's kind of a permission to explore my creative inclinations.  I don't think I'd push my creative edge as much if it weren't for knowing all of you and that's something that gives me a great deal of joy.  That and support for life's ups and downs and being able to lend an ear and a prayer...makes me feel needed, truly.

We're all such an awesome bunch of women!

Linny T

• Post Points: 65
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 286
Points 26,315

Robin:
We raised about 100.00 for Hats Off

Robin, great job for Hats Off.  What a wonderful opportunity for the students to learn about helping those with needs.

Glad the day went smoothly and fast.

Hope that the fall festival was also a success.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,987
Points 64,310
Robin replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 5:46 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

Are we ready for the weekend?

As always plenty to do.  Mulching the flower beds, wash, school work, FSU plays today and of course quilting.   But I'm glad to be up and already on my way.   I love days when I can actually be in control of what I get going, as compared to those days when I can't think straight and focus on a task until it is done.  

I hope you all have a super day.

Robin

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 7:53 AM

Linny t:

I don't know how I would get through some stuff without all you ladies.  It's such an honor to have you all as friends.  I have the same thing in my area Robin - no one my age quilts around here either.  It's more than quilting, though.  It's kind of a permission to explore my creative inclinations.  I don't think I'd push my creative edge as much if it weren't for knowing all of you and that's something that gives me a great deal of joy.  That and support for life's ups and downs and being able to lend an ear and a prayer...makes me feel needed, truly.

This is exactly how I feel. Ya'll encourage me to explore and challenge myself, and forgive my missteps. I talk about all of you with my husband and my quilt group.

I actually belong to 2 quilt groups. The first group generally meets in the evenings and they are kinda stodgy. They don't want to do anything that has a time frame attached to it. And are rather click-ish. I've been a member of that group for over 3 years, and rarely ever hear from them unless it's at one of our meetings. I sorta hang on the fringe of the group and learn as much as I can. They have been quilting for over 150 years. They are great teachers and don't mind sharing.

The other group meets in the afternoons and is a total blast. Fun, challenging, always doing something. I've only been in this group for 10 months. This year, they did a RR, which I missed because I had not joined the group at that time. Now we are in discussions of what the group project will be for 2013. One of the participants has a professional long arm business. 

northern colorado

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 8:02 AM

Congrats Robin! That was your goal wasn't it? $100 for Hats Off?

northern colorado

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,113
Points 110,370
Linny t replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 12:55 PM

Lillie:

Linny t:

This is exactly how I feel. Ya'll encourage me to explore and challenge myself, and forgive my missteps. I talk about all of you with my husband and my quilt group.

I actually belong to 2 quilt groups. The first group generally meets in the evenings and they are kinda stodgy. They don't want to do anything that has a time frame attached to it. And are rather click-ish. I've been a member of that group for over 3 years, and rarely ever hear from them unless it's at one of our meetings. I sorta hang on the fringe of the group and learn as much as I can. They have been quilting for over 150 years. They are great teachers and don't mind sharing.

The other group meets in the afternoons and is a total blast. Fun, challenging, always doing something. I've only been in this group for 10 months. This year, they did a RR, which I missed because I had not joined the group at that time. Now we are in discussions of what the group project will be for 2013. One of the participants has a professional long arm business. 

Lillie, you are lucky to have those quilt groups.  We have one around here and they have all their meetings and projects going on during the days.  I work so that doesn't work for me.  They have one meeting a month that's after hours, but that's the one they talk about what projects they have going on and  try to recruit new memebers to, so no hands on stuff.  Not much a point of joining if you can't participate in the work.  

Some day I won't have to work and maybe then I'll join - or maybe start one that works for working folks - a CQ one - my dream guild....Who knows what the future holds.

Today I haven't done much.  Swept the floor and ordered even more stuff online.  Thanks to Lillie I did order from Ribbonsmyth and also from Artbeads.com. I haven't ordered beads since I made the little turtle thing.  "Note I said I haven't ordered."  I have become of the mind that stash building should be a hobby of it's own right, lol.  

Later I'm going out to supper with my DS.  She has chemo again next week, so eating out is out of the question for her next week.  She's doing so well it's amazing to me.  She has one down week after chemo and then 2 good weeks.  Even when she's recovering from chemo she's mainly just tired.

It's so windy here, it's exhilarating.  I'm on the west central side of Florida near the coast.  I bet everyone on the eastern seaboard is tensing up for Ms. Sandy.  My prayers are going up that it deflects and heads out to sea without landing on the US.

Happy Saturday to all!

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,488
Points 138,318
Stephanie replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 12:58 PM

I ditto what everyone is saying about our friendships. I'm so happy to have all of you in my life.

Companies gone now. Makes me a little sad always. But they've promised we'd see each other again at least next year. We just had a great visit and Mike's brothers girlfriend and I exchanged email and phone numbers to stay in touch, so I'll make an effort to do that.

Lillie's block is in the mail, and I think a quick nap is on order. I've been trying to stay up and see if I get any goodies in the mail to share, but not sure I can hold out.

Hope you are all enjoying your weekend! 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 1:07 PM

ARTBEADS!  woo hoo something else for me to check out. Thanks!

Hoping the Sandy is kinds to ya'll Floridians. 

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 1:09 PM

Don't take a quick nap. At least 1-2 hours is a good nap. I usually sleep for 1-1/2 hours every day. And I still sleep for 7-8 hours at night. 

northern colorado

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,488
Points 138,318
Stephanie replied on Sat, Oct 27 2012 7:10 PM

Lillie:
Don't take a quick nap.

It turned out to be 4 hours. LOL. I love naps. Like you, any day I'm off I look forward to having one for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I think it's my most peaceful sleep. I have a deal with Mike that it's ok not to answer the phone if it rings and if it's an emergency he'll call my cell. Perfect.

I can't wait until I'm retired and can join in on quilting groups. I think it would be a great experience to be in a guild and have the hustle and bustle of the shows and time set aside just for that. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,113
Points 110,370
Linny t replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 7:49 PM

I posted this once and it never showed up, so I'll try again.

I can't wait until I retire and have time to set aside to anything.  Most of the time I feel like I'm steeling time to sew.  Today I felt like taking a nap and talked myself out of it because I didn't want to waste daylight.  Pitiful, right?

Today was such a lovely day here.   Breezy, sunny and cool.  The breeze just swept across my bed and after cleaning house and dealing with the cable guy I just sewed all day.  Near perfect day, really.

Hope all of you had a delightful Sunday, too.

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,060
Points 41,290
Diane replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 10:14 PM

Hi Everyone---We are here waiting for hurricane---for got the name off hand--it's been raining on and off and is int the 50's now.   I've been having a quiet day and wondering if anyone is having problems with the weather.  Ocean City, Md is about 100 mi away and the city is being evacuated.   Sounds like you had a nice day Linny with the weather at least and got some stitching done.  

I have been making bracelets and matching earrings today.  A friend in the building is selling them on her job and then I give her free jewelry.  It gives me money in the middle of the month when it is sorely needed.  So I didn't do any sewing.  Next I'll do the block in the other RR I am in and then work on Robin's block.  It is so fun!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,987
Points 64,310
Robin replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 5:42 AM

Good Morning Friends,

I'm up and going !  School ways for no teacher to start.  

Pretty productive weekend for the most part.  I didn't get to sew as much as I would have likes and what I did is not really worth showing so I'll have to wait until I get somewhere with the blocks for Bryan's quilt before I show and tell.  Anyway,  should be an interesting week.  I'm letting culinary in the lab for the first time this week.  They really have had all the training I would like but I hate to keep them sitting in chairs all the time.  We're going to give this a twirl and see what happens.   We're going to mass produce 100 cupcakes for Halloween.  These will go to the teachers and of course one for each student.  Nothing to fancy just chocolate cupcakes with green icing (butter cream) and fall sprinkles.  But it will give them a chance to practice some basic skills demonstrate their abilities and hand washing which is what I'm going to great on.  Appropriate personal hygiene, so will see how it goes.   Friday I'm taking three of them to Jacksonville for a culinary workshop at The Art Institute.  They get to play in the kitchens which should be interesting for kids with basically no skills.   I will be doing something else with adults.   It would be way more fun to watch them.  Oh well!  I'm sure I'll hear all about it on the way hope from the workshop. 

Also we have downtown trick or treating this week.  We do a booth with a lot of business and such down town and the kids parade around and collect candy.   It's a great way to see all the kids in their costumes and it's way safer for the kids than having them run around various neighborhoods.

Anyway that's my week with a measure of teaching going on in the middle.  I hope you all have a great Monday.  Diane you and Darlene stay out of what's her names way.  

Robin

Page 239 of 366 (5486 items) «Prev237238239240241Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use