rated by 0 users
This post has 5,485 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,134
Points 42,605
Diane replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 6:11 PM

Robin:
  People in general don't trust each other anymore so it's a sign of the times.

I had to have performance evaluations every 6 months as a nurse.  My supervisor was watching all the time.  I think the quality is better with evaluations in general.  You know people take advantage of the system when they can.  I graduated from HS in 1971 and I can remember a lot of bad teachers who just didn't teach.  It's a necessary tool to maintain standards.  As a nurse, I went through loads of changes through out the years of them "trying" things.  It's all part of trying to improve and lots of it is trial and error.

Well, it's a pain but overall it's necessary.

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,134
Points 42,605
Diane replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 6:22 PM

I started nursing in 1971---graduated from HS in 1968.  I remember asking to transfer out of one English teacher's class because he was so bad.  And my homeroom teacher was so lame. It was psychology and he must have been working on further education because he just read and never taught unless the speaker got turned on by the office and they listened in.

I know that you are a good teach Robin because you care about your job just like I did.  The evaluations are not for people like you.

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,074
Points 66,420
Robin replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 4:51 AM

Oh Diane, I agree there are bad teachers and some days some of my students think I'm one of them.  (I'm sure).

My senior English teacher was constantly out of the room, nickname my brother Jeff the Jerk and actually said it to my face.   I guess that's why I never had a lot of sympathy for her when they would take her keys and hide them from her in high places.  She was really short.  I don't remember much my class actually did that year.  Last I knew she was either still teaching or had recently retired.

And I agree with evaluations, they make me a little nervous but I understand they are necessary to avoid people who truly don't belong in the classroom.   Not just because their bad but because it's not a good fit for them.   Evaluations help us grow stronger if they don't kill us first.  :)   Like I said I get a little nervous.

I just think that overall the world is less trusting than it was when I started teaching and really properly less than when I started breathing.  

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,074
Points 66,420
Robin replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 5:05 AM

Well,  it was a Topsy Turvy night in my world and I'm anticipating it being that way for a few weeks.  

Unfortunately, I received a jury summons yesterday in the mail.   Now I don't mind jury duty.  I've had in plenty of times, I've even set on a jury once, but the particular trial that is coming up is going to put me in a awkward place that I don''t want to be.  The case involves the parents of one of my students.   I don't even want to have to appear in court because I do not want the student to associate me with something that has the potential to totally change her life in such a negative way.    And yes I understand that if they did the crime then they should be punished but I need to maintain a relationship with this child and children, particularly teenagers, do not always judge the situation on the facts in evidence.  I probably just worrying over nothing but it did take up a fair portion of my brain last night before bed time.

But when I woke up my brain was on to a new topic and I just couldn't get to sleep.  So I was up with the chickens and wishing I had got up when I first woke up as I now have laid in the bed and fought sleep feeling.    I should listen to Stephanie and get up.

Anyway it's club day, so they kids have been planning and getting ready.  They have several upcoming events for chapter activities.   I'm proud of the work their doing and I hope that they can keep the momentum up.  

Have a Frolicking Friday.  

Robin

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,134
Points 42,605
Diane replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 10:28 AM

Robin:
The case involves the parents of one of my students.

As soon as you tell them that--you won't get picked.  You may want to call and tell them in advance and you may not have to go.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,134
Points 42,605
Diane replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 10:34 AM

Robin:

I just think that overall the world is less trusting than it was when I started teaching and really properly less than when I started breathing.  

Robin

That may be true but I think people are also more aware and therefore defensive.  I heard recently on HLN that crime has decreased.  Maybe it's all the cameras everywhere.  I like that kind of mistrust.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,254
Points 112,665
Linny t replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 10:49 AM

Robin:
Unfortunately, I received a jury summons yesterday in the mail.   Now I don't mind jury duty.  I've had in plenty of times, I've even set on a jury once, but the particular trial that is coming up is going to put me in a awkward place that I don''t want to be.  The case involves the parents of one of my students.   I don't even want to have to appear in court because I do not want the student to associate me with something that has the potential to totally change her life in such a negative way.

Robin, if you tell them you know the girl, they won't let you serve on that jury. 

I hope you have a Frolicking Friday, too, Robin.  Should be easier to do with it being club day.  Sounds like you enjoy your students and your job for the most part.  I think Diane is right that the evaluations are not meant for people like you.  They are neccesary evils because of teachers who aren't fit for the position. 

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,074
Points 66,420
Robin replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 4:26 PM

Well as usual all my worrying was for nothing, and I am so thankful.   It's a murder trial for a couple of our former students.   One of which I think I thought and the other I'm sure I taught some of his relatives.   Anyway it's not a student I'm currently serving so I'm not as concerned.  

Today was pretty smooth for the most part but I'm really glad it's over and I'm home.   Time to take off my shoes and work clothes and spend the evening with needle, thread, DH and the grand dog.

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,254
Points 112,665
Linny t replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 4:42 PM

Robin, glad you're feeling better about the whole thing.  Your evening plan sounds really great.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,074
Points 66,420
Robin replied on Fri, Oct 12 2012 4:55 PM

Linny t:

Robin, glad you're feeling better about the whole thing.  Your evening plan sounds really great.

Thanks Linny

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 348
Points 27,200

Stephanie:
a disaster happened.

Stephanie, as Linny said, thank goodness you did not pull that blue tape off.

Hopefully by now, you have been successful in repairing the frame and the owner was happy with the results.

Hope that your work on Lillie's block is coming along well and that you have recovered from your work on this home.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 348
Points 27,200

It has been an absolutely crazy week.  I am so glad that it is over.

Tuesday was Tim's spinal MRI.  Long day at the hospital and he was exhausted when we left.

Wednesday we met the new oncologist.  She is a very nice woman and was very thorough in her exam.  There was the initial visit with the nurse, then we saw the physician's assistant and finally the doctor.  Many times to discuss 10 years of history. 

The results of the discussion is concern that the newest tumor found in April has grown.  The amount of growth is up for debate and the plan for treatment is still not determined.  We go back to see the doctor next Wednesday to find out what the tumor board has recommended as course of action.

Now we wait.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,074
Points 66,420
Robin replied on Sat, Oct 13 2012 6:04 AM

Darlene,

I'm so sorry I know that is not the best news.   I will certainly be praying for you and Tim.  Hang in there girl and remember who walks with you and will cover you with His wing so that you can take refuge.

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,254
Points 112,665
Linny t replied on Sat, Oct 13 2012 8:13 AM

Darlene, I don't think I could say it better than Robin did.  I know you are a family filled with faith and have seen many miracles throughout Tim's illness.  Trust in the Lord and all this might!  You're in my prayers, dear.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Sat, Oct 13 2012 8:56 AM

Darlene,

You and Tim will be in my prayers as well.

Page 224 of 366 (5486 items) «Prev222223224225226Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use