rated by 0 users
This post has 5,485 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,261
Points 112,790
Linny t replied on Wed, Oct 10 2012 11:38 AM

Robin:
  Also my department is under a microscope again so we've got someone end to watch us do what we do, then make suggestions for what we do.   My class was doing lecture and fill in the blank notes when she was in my room yesterday, so I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of questions about teaching strategies like group work and such.   It's all good there are a collection of artifacts all over my room that the kids did so it's just life.

This would drive me nuts.  How is it determined that this person has qualifications to make such judgements?  Do they do more than 1 visit to your classroom or is their determination based on 1 observation?

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,078
Points 66,545
Robin replied on Wed, Oct 10 2012 6:10 PM

Linny,

It's gotten so common I'm  beginning to get use to it.  She observed me teaching yesterday for about 30 minute.  Came by today to discuss what her role.  She is from an organization called the Southern Regional Education Board.  She is coming in to help us incorporate the standards for Math, Reading and Science into our classroom.  She was very nice and very complimentary of what she saw in my classroom yesterday.   Left me a long list of things that she needs before she comes back on the 5th.  I'll but her list in line with everything else and get to it when I get to it.   She was very nice seem to be genuine about helping us become more inline with the academic subject, which is not a bad thing I just wish once in a while the academic teachers would have to study up on what I do in a day.

As for their qualifications it varies from group to group, this lady has a master's degree and taught CTE for years before moving into this position.   My actual evaluator for my job is an administrator who works at my school.   Comes by regularly and sits in for my class for 30 to 45 minutes.  He will do my main evaluation which decides by overall rating.

Robin

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,078
Points 66,545
Robin replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 5:48 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

I hope that you are awake, feeling good and on your way to a great day.

I don't think I've ever posted back to back like this.  

Thursday is the first part of the slide enjoy the ride.

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 6:04 AM

Robin:
She was very nice seem to be genuine about helping us become more inline with the academic subject, which is not a bad thing I just wish once in a while the academic teachers would have to study up on what I do in a day.

Robin,

I admire your attitude about beginning to get used to it, and putting her list in line with everything. I think programs like this in all phases of work have lost touch with the reality of how much can be done on a day. They seem simple enough on paper, but don't account for any everyday problems that arise. For instance, the economists for Publix developed a computerized scheduling to have an exact number of people working the hours based on sales of the prior year. Sounds like a great idea, but if one person, two called in sick there were lines at the registers. They started training stock people to run registers, and then the shelves were short stocked and the management had to step in and either run registers or stock shelves. Now if there was a customer that wanted to speak to a manager, they are either having to wait until one was available or talk over another customer trying to be checked out. In the end everyone is under pressure and now the manager can't finish their job because they are picking up the slack of being short staffed. So the supervisor walks in, the stores busy, shelves short stocked, carts all over the lot and the manager is running a register. Who catches the blame for the store being run improperly? The manager. In essence it should fall back on the economist and a program that isn't working. There has to be a realistic approach in a program and how much one person can accomplish in a day.  And for you a mindset just like you have. I am only one person, and do the best I can with what I have to work with.....

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 6:41 AM

Yesterday was busy trying to wrap up everything. Just as I thought one more quick trip to putty some holes and put a clear protective coat on a disaster happened.

The builder made the mistake of putting blue painters tape along the edge of a museum framed large peice of art. He had covered the expensive paintings with plastic and this one was so close to the wall he ran the tape on it. I was going to give him a helping hand and almost pulled the tape, but hesitated. Thank God! The frame had been gold leafed and when he pulled the tape every bit of the finish pulled off with it. I thought he was going to have a heart attack. He became so distracted by it, he was taking a load of plastic out to the garage and missed the steps and fell down. I felt so bad for him. Needless to say I'm going to try to fix it. Gold leaf is very difficult to work with as it is a foil so thin that it literally powders off at the slightest touch, and I have forewarned him that I don't know if I can. He's stiil going to tell the homeowner, and if it works out, fine. If not he'll have to replace it. I still have some gold leaf here somewhere, and hope it has patinaed enough to match. I just have to keep the mindset that this isn't my problem and just do what I can.

For today all I really want to think about is working on Lillie's block and put everything else on the back burner.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 6:55 AM

Lillie,

You're welcome about the thread weights. CQ opens a whole new world in threads and embellishments, doesn't it? I have this tendency with thread to want all of the colors and sizes in the world. I thought I was bad enough collecting embroidery thread, but now I want it all.

Lillie:
I trudge up and down all the stairs at least 8 times a day. Our stairs are pretty steep too. They have to be right at the code limit for rise and run. In the last year I've notice that I hold onto the banister when going down the stairs. When I use the basement stairs,

You certainly get your exercise going up and down. I don't manage stairs so well any more. Bifocals changed my world for that. I have to be so careful even on ladders. I have totally missed the last step so often and wrenched my knee that I hold onto the sides and rails all the way down now.  I hate it, but what can you do. I'm with you on the driving thing too. My perspective is off and I get totally freaked out driving if a car comes up from the side too fast. It looks liek they're going to hit me and often I'll find myself gasping for air. I have to read a magazine when I ride with Mike so I don't panic him. LOL. I'll be one of these little old ladies driving 35 on the highway before long, and never at night.

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 8:12 AM

Hello everyone,

Yesterday, I took a 2-1/2 hour nappie. Last night I slept for 9 hours. Amazing that I slept that long last night. I figured I would wake up at 2 am. But slept until 6:30!!!  Woo hoo. IDK what messed me up and why I'm not sleeping well. Hopefully I'm back in my normal sleep pattern. 

Have a Thrilling Thursday, ya'll.

northern colorado

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,261
Points 112,790
Linny t replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 11:30 AM

Robin:
She was very nice seem to be genuine about helping us become more inline with the academic subject, which is not a bad thing I just wish once in a while the academic teachers would have to study up on what I do in a day.

Why don't they have to?  I'm glad you feel free enough about the whole thing to put it in line with your already esablished priorities of the children.

Robin:
My actual evaluator for my job is an administrator who works at my school.   Comes by regularly and sits in for my class for 30 to 45 minutes.  He will do my main evaluation which decides by overall rating.
  Does the whole process seem fair to you?  I bet it's way different than it was when you first started teaching.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,261
Points 112,790
Linny t replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 11:36 AM

Stephanie:

The builder made the mistake of putting blue painters tape along the edge of a museum framed large peice of art. He had covered the expensive paintings with plastic and this one was so close to the wall he ran the tape on it. I was going to give him a helping hand and almost pulled the tape, but hesitated. Thank God! The frame had been gold leafed and when he pulled the tape every bit of the finish pulled off with it. I thought he was going to have a heart attack. He became so distracted by it, he was taking a load of plastic out to the garage and missed the steps and fell down. I felt so bad for him. Needless to say I'm going to try to fix it. Gold leaf is very difficult to work with as it is a foil so thin that it literally powders off at the slightest touch, and I have forewarned him that I don't know if I can. He's stiil going to tell the homeowner, and if it works out, fine. If not he'll have to replace it. I still have some gold leaf here somewhere, and hope it has patinaed enough to match. I just have to keep the mindset that this isn't my problem and just do what I can.

What a blessing you didn't pull that tape off.  This way he has to pay you for the extra time/expenses.  I can imagine how he must have felt at that moment.  His stomach must have been in his feet, poor guy.  I've worked with gold foil before and hear you about how hard it is to control.  Good luck.  I hope the homeowner lets him try to fix it instead of just insisting he buy a new one.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,261
Points 112,790
Linny t replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 11:59 AM

Lillie:

Hello everyone,

Yesterday, I took a 2-1/2 hour nappie. Last night I slept for 9 hours. Amazing that I slept that long last night. I figured I would wake up at 2 am. But slept until 6:30!!!  Woo hoo. IDK what messed me up and why I'm not sleeping well. Hopefully I'm back in my normal sleep pattern. 

Have a Thrilling Thursday, ya'll.

Glad to hear you got some quality sleep.  Maybe it's the change of weather or something. 

I"ve been having sleep troubles, too.  Mine is can't get sleepy and I think the back thing started it because I had some nights where I stayed awake with it.  I am not worth much without my sleeps.  I'm ready for the time to change back.  Only 3 weeks to go.  I love getting that hour back.  I know it's mostly psychological, but still it's something to look forward to.

I hope you have a Thrilling Thursday also, Lillie.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,261
Points 112,790
Linny t replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 12:09 PM

Stephanie:
In essence it should fall back on the economist and a program that isn't working.

That's right.  I bet they had a lot higher turn over with that going on.  Higher prices for groceries all over because of some genius trying to automate human beings. 

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 12:44 PM

Linny t:
I bet they had a lot higher turn over with that going on. 

They do! Who wants to work 12-3 or 5-7 because that's when they need extra help? That's the way they schedule things. I don't know about anyone else, but that's not worth my time or the time it takes to get dressed unless they paid about $25 an hour. LOL

I have been playing around with making some silk flowers today. Actually, I should say satin flowers. Just for the learning part of it, satin is much more difficult to fashion than silk. It wants to bounce back out and be straight. Kind of like my hair when I curl it. LOL It does have a pretty shine to it though, and I had some success with what I was trying to do. They'll most likely show up on someone's block so I shouldn't go into any more detail now.      

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 12:50 PM

Lillie:
Hopefully I'm back in my normal sleep pattern. 

Hope so too Lillie. I did a 12 hour stint yesterday myself, only all at once. I just go through spells that I don't need more than 5 hours to where I need much more.

Hope you have a thrilling Thursday too.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,261
Points 112,790
Linny t replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 3:42 PM

Stephanie:

I have been playing around with making some silk flowers today. Actually, I should say satin flowers. Just for the learning part of it, satin is much more difficult to fashion than silk. It wants to bounce back out and be straight. Kind of like my hair when I curl it. LOL It does have a pretty shine to it though, and I had some success with what I was trying to do. They'll most likely show up on someone's block so I shouldn't go into any more detail now.      

They may be fussy to make but I bet they are stunning.  Can't wait to see.  I hope one shows up on my block :)

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,078
Points 66,545
Robin replied on Thu, Oct 11 2012 5:06 PM

Linny t:

Robin:

Why don't they have to?  I'm glad you feel free enough about the whole thing to put it in line with your already esablished priorities of the children.

Robin:
My actual evaluator for my job is an administrator who works at my school.   Comes by regularly and sits in for my class for 30 to 45 minutes.  He will do my main evaluation which decides by overall rating.
  Does the whole process seem fair to you?  I bet it's way different than it was when you first started teaching.

Linny,

To answer your first questions it is basically because what I teach is an elective therefore not truly important in the grand scheme of things.   Where as Reading and Writing and Arithmetic are the foundation for everyone in an educated society.

The second question is that the evaluation process has always been a deep dark mystery to me.  I've never had a truly bad one so I've always been ok with my score. As for it changing in the last 25 years in education change is like in increments of 25 minutes.   Ok maybe not that bad but it seems like it.  I was just thinking the other day about how much it's changed since I started.  I use to write my lesson plans in a little 3" X 3" block usually just for me.  Now I write a two page form and have to email it to my admin supposedly by Wednesday.  That rarely happens.   I usually do them on the weekend so their there on Monday.   I use to keep a paper gradebook.  Now my grades are online so parents' can check them anytime.   It's almost like I'm not trustworthy.  But that's not just my world and I know that.  People in general don't trust each other anymore so it's a sign of the times.

Robin

Page 223 of 366 (5486 items) «Prev221222223224225Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use