My Day.......

rated by 0 users
This post has 5,485 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,141
Points 42,670
Diane replied on Tue, Oct 2 2012 5:04 PM

I just saw a Dr Oz show about sleep.  They called Melatonin a "sleep regulator"  They said take only 1mg about an hour before you want to go to sleep and no more since it is a hormone.  Also they advocated a "stress release" technique where you tense and release you muscles starting with you head, then neck etc.  It's on the website.  It's an old technique that I used in the past.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613

Diane:
.  When I worked that year of nights, I started suffering memory loss.

That enough in your position should have been enough to get you switched back to days.

Thinking of this made me remember that when I was working at Publix I started having bouts of memory loss. I had taken on so much responsibility that it was causing me to have blurs of memory. I couldn't remember the combination to the lock on my locker that I had used everyday for 5 years, or I'd be driving and suddenly forget where I was. When I went to the doctor she asked me about my work and I told her the responsibilities I had and the pressure I put on myself to get it all done. She told me my memory loss was surely stress related and put me on Paxil. It did the trick. Broke the chain of overthinking and made things clearer for me. I retired from there shortly after that. It was good to go back to visit and have the manager tell me that after I left it took three people to replace me. Sometimes these companies get the impression that they are overpaying you and can hire two people for the wage they pay you. In my case 1 1/2. But if it took three what have they gained? LOL. The sad thing in this line of thinking is that IMO "our" generation cared deeply and took pride in the job they were doing no matter what the wage. I worked as hard when I started at $3.50 an hour as I did at $12.00. I would venture to guess that about 75% of  minimum wage people could really care less about their job today.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613

Diane:

I just saw a Dr Oz show about sleep.  They called Melatonin a "sleep regulator"  They said take only 1mg about an hour before you want to go to sleep and no more since it is a hormone.  Also they advocated a "stress release" technique where you tense and release you muscles starting with you head, then neck etc.  It's on the website.  It's an old technique that I used in the past.

That's pretty cool Diane.

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,256
Points 112,705
Linny t replied on Tue, Oct 2 2012 5:18 PM

Stephanie:
I would venture to guess that about 75% of  minimum wage people could really care less about their job today.
 If that many, sadly.  Some still work hard, but not many.  I used to be an HR person for a large construction co.  I wouldn't want to be one now because I'd fire half the people working with me.  They work really hard while being watched, but as soon as the boss is gone they goof off.  They leave early and come in late all the time.  I used to make me nuts, but it's not my job to mind the shop any more.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613

It's been a good day, even though it rained most of the day. The temps were cool enough to pull open the heavy drapes and get some natural light in here. I worked on Lillie's block putting down some tiny secret things.  Can't give too much away.LOL

I got Mary Corbetts email and it had a stitch called the guilloche stitch that I want to give a try. Here's a link: http://www.needlenthread.com/ . I think this is a beauty, and her tutorials are always amazing.

Mike brought the dogs McD's cheeseburgers for dinner. No wonder they're getting fat as butterball turkies. LOL. It's just once in a while, but they do love people food. Otis likes the chicken selects himself. He hasn't been eating much again lately so I'm happy when he eats anything. At 16 he has lost most of his teeth so I've had to switch him to softer fare.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613

Linny t:
I used to be an HR person for a large construction co.  I wouldn't want to be one now because I'd fire half the people working with me.  They work really hard while being watched, but as soon as the boss is gone they goof off.  They leave early and come in late all the time.  I used to make me nuts, but it's not my job to mind the shop any more.

You hit that nail on the head. That's why we've stayed small. This business is so tight for what you can charge, employees like that can take you down in a heartbeat. We've had more than one guy like this. I remember Mike blasting one. He was standing there watching me carry an eight foot ladder. Mike looked at him and said, "What the bleeps the matter with you watching a woman that's old enough to be your mother carry that heavy ladder. Get your bleep over there and take that in for her." LOL. Mike tried really hard to work with him and bring him up to speed, but at 32 years old he was still more interested in playing video games than working.  Oh my, I just thought of his poor wife, and what he must have been like at home.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,256
Points 112,705
Linny t replied on Tue, Oct 2 2012 7:07 PM

Stephanie:

It's been a good day, even though it rained most of the day. The temps were cool enough to pull open the heavy drapes and get some natural light in here. I worked on Lillie's block putting down some tiny secret things.  Can't give too much away.LOL

I got Mary Corbetts email and it had a stitch called the guilloche stitch that I want to give a try. Here's a link: http://www.needlenthread.com/ . I think this is a beauty, and her tutorials are always amazing.

Mike brought the dogs McD's cheeseburgers for dinner. No wonder they're getting fat as butterball turkies. LOL. It's just once in a while, but they do love people food. Otis likes the chicken selects himself. He hasn't been eating much again lately so I'm happy when he eats anything. At 16 he has lost most of his teeth so I've had to switch him to softer fare.

I saw that, too.  I have learned so much from Mary I almost feel guilty for not paying her money, lol.  She is a gem!

That's funny about your little butterballs.  My kitty has lost some of his teeth on top and he gets this funny little smirk on his face and his tongue slides out.  It's cute.  Our boys are getting old, Stephanie.  

Can't wait for the big reveal on everyone's blocks. 

Linny T

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 348
Points 27,220

Linny t:
Sounds like October will be less challenging for you,

I have decided to take things really slow this month  This should reduce the

Linny t:
My sister had her first test to check the progress of her treatments on Tuesday.  She finds out next Monday.  I can understand about the waiting part. 
challenges, if nothing else, I will catch up on my rest

Linny t:
Too bad you can't just take that neighbor aside

Sad thing is that she wouldn't get it.  Mom has taken to turning off all the lights, and going in her bedroom with the tv on low.  If she closes the bedroom door, you can't hear anything and then Mom can plead that she didn't hear the neighbor at the door.  I feel bad that she has to resort to going to bed after dinner to have peace and quiet but she says she doesn't mind.

Linny t:
Hope her transfusion does the trick again

Well, I was off the mark and Mom did not require a transfusion today.  Her blood count is down slightly from what the doctor told us it was last week but still above the threshold.  Next week we don't go to the hospital for her bllod work until Thursday because of the holiday and Tim's appointments.  I am praying she will not drop too much in the next week because a transfusion of Friday is almost impossible.  Oh well, I need to let go and let God.  He has this all planned out and knows best.  I am trying to control things again.  This week would have been a better week for a transfusion for me.  Unfortunately for me, this is not about what is better for me.

Hope that Barb's results as positive.  You are so right.  The waiting is the hardest part.

I had to laugh when you said you sometimes checked the weather up here on Thursdays.  I agree that we are the best kind of pen pals.  This group has been a wonderful support for me.

So I pushed the envelope today and did something I have not done in years.  I ran out of gas while taking Mom to the grocery store after her blood work.  We were so lucky that the car stalled after getting thru a very busy intersection.  I had enough power to coast around a quick turn and get off the road,.  I called AAA and told them I was out of gas.  We were about 1/4 mile from a gas station but I wasn't sure I wanted to leave Mom.  We ended up waiting 1.5 hours for them to bring us gas.  It started to rain and then I knew I didn't want to walk anywhere.  We had a real nice chance to talk about all kinds of things.  I knew I needed to get gas this morning but was running late and decided we would have enough to get to the gas station after blood work.  Won't be doing that again soon.  When the low fuel light comes on again, I will make sure I go to the nearest gas station.  Of course, it is getting to the time of year when I don't let it get that low.  Like I said, I pushed the envelope.

After getting gas and groceries, Mom decided she was hungry so we went out for lunch.  My sandwich did not agree with me and I came home, put my roast into the oven and went to bed.  Kyle finished dinner and came up to ask me if I wanted to eat.  I decided to go on line instead.  Just having a good glass of water for now.  It was almost 2:00 when we ate lunch.  That was probably part of things.  Oh well, I won't waste away to nothingness if I skip dinner.

I feel like I should go to the dungeon but i think I will just stay in bed and watch some TV.  Laying low.

Hoping that all of you are having a great evening.  Wishing I was part of the RR.  Maybe next time.  [I hope there is a next time]

Wishing you all Wonderful Wednesdays tomorrow.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613

Darlene,

You poor dear lady. An hour and a half wait for gas is a long time. I'm happy that you and your mom made the best of it by being able to have a nice long chat. I hope your tummy's feeling better by now and that you have been able to relax. That was real sweet of Kyle to take over dinner and going the extra to come up and check on you. You have raised him well, and he's going to make some special lady a fine husband one day.

I'm sure we'll do another RR, and I can't wait for you to be a part of it.

Hope you have a wonderful Wednesday yourself tomorrow.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613

Linny t:
My kitty has lost some of his teeth on top and he gets this funny little smirk on his face and his tongue slides out.  It's cute.  Our boys are getting old, Stephanie.

LOL. A kitty with a toothless grin. I hate to see them getting old. We've been together sooo many blessed years, and I'm thankful for that. Otis has started losing his balance on the arm of my chair. He'll be sound asleep and roll right off like a stuffed toy. The worst part is the fall wakes him up and he shakes himself off and looks at me like I must have pushed him. I've gotten to where I'm on guard to try to catch him if he starts to slide. Poor little fellow. He still has that bright eyed wonder when I talk to him. It's those little looks that will stay in our memories.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,075
Points 66,425
Robin replied on Wed, Oct 3 2012 3:59 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

This is take two.

I just wrote my entire post about this being the last day of the work week with kids since it was homecoming week to realize it's not Thursday. ugh!

Today should be interesting it's Dress UP day.  The emphasis on dress up is that students are suppose to wear they're best but the kids  are in revolt.  This is usually Whacky Wednesday but the powers that be thought this would be a better choice.  So I'm guessing that the kids will be pushing the limits of the school dress code as much as possible today.   Oh well, we'll just have to deal the best way we can.

Doctor's suggest for my sleeping problem is less caffeine before bed.  More of the things you do to ensure good sleep like no naps during the day, temperature appropriate sleep environment etc.   So that's the plan.  I may go back to having a cup of tea before bed time and see if that helps.  

I hope that everyone has a Wear Something that makes you feel Wonderful Wednesday.

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613

Robin:

I just wrote my entire post about this being the last day of the work week with kids since it was homecoming week to realize it's not Thursday. ugh!

Thursday would be wishful thinking for me too.LOL

Robin:
but the powers that be thought this would be a better choice.  So I'm guessing that the kids will be pushing the limits of the school dress code as much as possible today. 

The powers that be sure know how to take the fun out of a good thing. I can't say I'd have wanted to  get up and "dress up" for school. That would require make up, hose, fixing your hair, and with the weekend being Homecoming it seems like overkill. Not exactly the self expressive fun of wacky wednesday. Can't wait to hear about the envelope pushers. LOL  

Maybe some hot chocolate before bed will help too. Have you tried Sleepytime tea?

Robin:

I hope that everyone has a Wear Something that makes you feel Wonderful Wednesday.

I got a new red flowered visor cap to keep my hair back while I paint. I'll wear it in your honor today. Red is a power color and fills you with energy. Hope you have a wonderful wednesday too.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Wed, Oct 3 2012 6:48 AM

Diane:

I just saw a Dr Oz show about sleep.  They called Melatonin a "sleep regulator"  

I've tried melatonin before. It made me feel weird and I didn't get a good night's sleep using it. I bought a really good brand, but it didn't work for me. Now I take Trazadone (Rx) and sleep soundly for at least 7 hours per night.

northern colorado

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Wed, Oct 3 2012 6:58 AM

Stephanie:

woo hoo for Lillie's block!!!  lol

OMGosh her website is great. So many tips and tutorials. Her work is so beautiful. I could spend hours looking at her work. Thanks for the link.

Our old doggie had lost most of his teeth as well. It was amazing to me to see him chewing on a bone, with just his gums. He's been gone for years and I still miss him very much.

northern colorado

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,256
Points 112,705
Linny t replied on Wed, Oct 3 2012 11:16 AM

Darlene, it's good she doesn't need a transfusion yet, but if she's having symptoms of needing one it doesn't help her that much, right?  Sorry to hear you ran out of gas.  I haven't done that in a very long time, thank goodness.  I have AAA also.  At my age I wouldn't go without it.  At least you got some one-on-one time with your mom....that was God's plan, I bet...isn't it fun to know He incorporates our every willingness to push the envelope into His plans?  I hope it didn't stress your mom out too much.

Hope you're feeling better today, all back to normal.  Kyle is a great guy, taking care of his mom like that.  Some would just whine about where dinner was or just dissappear to find food elsewhere. 

Linny T

Page 213 of 366 (5486 items) «Prev211212213214215Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use