rated by 0 users
This post has 5,485 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 8:19 AM

Robin:
I think the hardest part was sewing up the squares and putting the border on it just so you could cut it apart again.   But once I got over the fact I was fixing to cut apart something that I liked it's seemed fairly easy.  

I'm going to have to check this one out. Sounds like fun.  

What  a nice surprise it was going out this morning and seeing the largest group of dargonflies I have ever seen. I'm so happy to see them! They were out in full force to take out the mosquito population we have bombarding us with all the rain. We used to call them "helicopters" when we were young. That's what they looked like to us.

I finished the little saw tooth border in stitches yesterday on my wool project. There were 40 of them and with the negative space made 80 little seams of triple lazy daisy in the positive space, and  triple straight stitch in the negative. I used a variegated perle silk and it looks so pretty against the drab ochre yellow wool. I have three pumpkins to stitch around and a few small buds and decorative stitches to add and it will be ready for a backing and border. If I give this away in a moment of whimsy, I'm going to kick myself. LOL 

Having a big Sunday brunch right now would make me so happy.  Who wouldn't love to go in and see a huge buffet of fresh fruit, eggs, bacon, potatoes, and anything else edible. LOL

Time to get gonig, all this talk about food and sewing has inspired me to get up and go for it. Have fun today!

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,925
Linny t replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 9:13 AM

So far this morning I've been cleaning up the pet areas.  Stinky cats!  I love them though.  Next I'm going to get things ready to try to send to Diane tomorrow.  This time I'm going to make sure I get some track-ability and take it to the post office myself.  

Stephanie, if you find that buffet, please tell me.  Can't wait to see a picture of your wool project!

I hope everyone has a lovely Sunday.  

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,101
Points 42,050
Diane replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 9:29 AM

Good morning everyone,

I am trying to get rid of muscle pain so I can go to church.  Took Motrin, on the heating pad.

Wow Steph---so many dragonflies!!!!  You are always seeing such interesting wildlife in your backyard!

I'll be glad to see your new block Linny!  

Have a great Sunday!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,101
Points 42,050
Diane replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 9:40 AM

I don't think that I showed you this----it's not much---a beaded butterfly that I added to the RR block. Just some inspiration.

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,925
Linny t replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 10:02 AM

That's pretty Diane.  I like embellishing lace motifs.  Where do you get your motifs from?  I can't wait until there is a picture of my naked block in the designated thread.

I went to Ringling Art Museum yesterday.  Such and beautiful and elegant place spread out on something like 65 acres right on Sarasota Bay.  It was free Museum day, so the whole thing, except a cup of lemon aid was free.  My sister went with me.  My favorite things were the costumes in the Circus museum part.  What fun it must have been to design them and embellish them.  Actually, I'm sure it took a team of seamstresses to keep up with everything.  There were some really old ones from back when they did all the embellishment by hand.  I was so tempted to touch them and look on the back, but this was not allowed.  We also got to see Mable Ringling's private collection.  There was this purse that was embellished with fine embroidery and beads, etc. that was so beautiful.  It gave me some ideas for bead work.  There was also this black velvet evening dress that was embellished with real silver beads along with bangles & sequins and embroidery in silver thread.  It was still beautiful even though it was nearly 100 years old.  It must have weighted 20 lbs.  Imagine getting a work out while you are out on the town, lol.  Another thing that was very interesting was a wig made entirely of real silver thread.  It was styled in long braids that were coiled into large circles at the ear area.  Kind of like princess Leia from Star Wars.  Imagine wearing that!  Anyways, we had fun, took it slow and sat often.  So many beautiful paintings!   She felt good to get out and about.  With her treatments she's been a bit home bound.  They had hand sanitizer dispensers at every door and she made good use of them.  The chemo treatments weaken her immune system, so she's careful in public.  After we went to my LQS because they sent me a 1 day only coupon.  She actually said, "Oh I'd have to do so much to get back into sewing."  I thought to myself, "There's hope for her yet."  I so want her to join me in quilting.  Or at least fiber arts...something where she'll like to get fabric again, lol.  Then we went for a nice dinner and then home.  It was already getting dark, so we were out and about all day long.  I was totally whooped when I got home and slept like a baby. 

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,101
Points 42,050
Diane replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 11:26 AM

Wow Linny.  What a nice day that you had with your sister.  I love to do that sort of thing.  I don't do it often enough now.

I got the lace in a "lace and charm" buy that Leslie did for the other group a couple of years ago.  I dyed a lot of it with dye ne flow ( I think that's it) I tea dye lace too.

I can't believe the silver wig.  How do they polish it?.  Did you get any pics?

Glad to hear your sister is getting out and enjoying herself.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,101
Points 42,050
Diane replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 12:19 PM

Thanks everyone for the nice comments about my work in the other RR.

Linny---I think it's a matter of getting to know this iguana and how to work with him.  He is naturally "feisty" and doesn't want me to hold him or rock him.  When I did, he pooped.  A reptile's way of getting back at you.  He would probably generally be an animal that isn't touched unless forced.  It would take a while to get him to the point where I could just pet his head.  I think he would be ok here.  I would have to work around him, that's for sure.  I will be deciding what to do with him this week.  He may still go back.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 4:01 PM

Diane, 

Your  lace butterfly looks real pretty. I hope the motrin and heating pad did the trick for you this morning. I do seem to see a lot of creatures around here. Probably because it hasn't been overdeveloped like a lot of places yet. And then, maybe a lot of people aren't as touched by them as I am to pay much attention.  

Linny t:
I went to Ringling Art Museum yesterday.

Your view of the museum costumes and finery sound heavenly. Next time I go I will look at it through new eyes I'm sure. They must have made huge money traveling around to afford such luxury. So happy to hear that Barb made the trip with you and had a spark thinking of sewing. It has to be good for her to think along those lines and get out and see some beauty. Sounds like a fun day.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,925
Linny t replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 7:23 PM

Diane, I didn't get any pictures.  They wouldn't have turned out well because they didn't allow flash photography or any lighting of any kind.  I'm not sure it would have worked with a flash anyways, seeing as it was in a glass case..  I forgot to bring my camera.  It does really well in dim light, but my cell phone, not so good. The wig was silver wrapped thread, like is used in real metal embroidery.  It didn't look like anyone had polished it in a very long time.  Imagine how it must have looked when it was brand new!

I love dying stuff with dye-na-flow.  The colors are so brilliant.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,925
Linny t replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 7:34 PM

Stephanie:
They must have made huge money traveling around to afford such luxury.
 They lived in magnificent opulence - like royalty, really.  Everything was so ornate and finely worked in the Ca' d'Zan mansion. (There's a link for anyone who's interested.)  This was only their winter quarters.  

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,037
Points 65,575
Robin replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 7:47 PM

Linny,

My husband went there for the day when we were down their this summer.  He was like you very impressed with the over all stature of the place.  He also loved the art, which is what he went for.   Unfortunately that was the day I was in meetings, but I was glad he went on his own, he rarely gets to go and appreciate art like that.

I'm glad to hear that Barb was able to go with you and that she was extra cautious about her exposure to germs.  I sure that right now she can't be to careful.   But it sounds like she is talking on a upswing note which is always good.

I got in a lot of needle time today and made a lot of progress on Stephanie's block.   I need some direction.  I am suppose to take a picture of what I've done to post before I mail it forward.  I know we're not mailing them ahead for awhile but I'm forgetful so I like to double check myself from time to time.

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 7:48 PM

Linny,

Thanks for the link. Only their winter quarters!!!! I had forgotten how beautiful that place was. Isn't it interesting that the Ballroom had black and white checked floors?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 7:50 PM

Robin:
I got in a lot of needle time today and made a lot of progress on Stephanie's block.   I need some direction.  I am suppose to take a picture of what I've done to post before I mail it forward.

Woohoo Robin! I'm so anxious to see what you've done. It is my understanding too that we are to post a pic when we finish and ready to mail.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 7:55 PM

I was looking through images on Bing search site and I came across this really beautiful picture of a Halloween Crazy Quilt that won a blue ribbon. I wish I could tell you more details about who did it, but the pic was taken by someone that admired it at the show. Anyway, hope you enjoy it, and if the owner/winner pops in and sees it I hope she/he will tell us more.

Here's the link:

http://quilting.craftgossip.com/files/2011/10/halloween-crazy-quilt-blue-ribbon.jpg

I also decided to check out : http://craftgossip.com/?s=crazy+quilt Lots of eye candy there too.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,925
Linny t replied on Sun, Sep 30 2012 7:59 PM

Stephanie:
Woohoo Robin! I'm so anxious to see what you've done. It is my understanding too that we are to post a pic when we finish and ready to mail.

Me, too, Robin (about seeing what you've done to Stephanie's block).  I think Stephanie is right.  I believe that we take a picture just before we mail them...that way if they get lost in the mail we'll at least have a picture of what we did, lol.  I sure wish my block had turned up.  I liked it better than the new one.  I'm going to ask about it when I go to the post office tomorrow.  I'm sure it will look a lot better when it returns to me :)

Linny T

Page 210 of 366 (5486 items) «Prev208209210211212Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use