My Day.......

rated by 0 users
This post has 5,485 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,049
Points 41,055
Diane replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 1:26 PM

I wanted to let you know that this morning I went to DC and met a man who was looking for a good home for 2 iguanas he has at work.  He is a carpenter for a Catholic girls school and had them in his office.  One was young and feisty.  The other one was beautiful and calmer.  The problem with the calmer one is that she or he---I haven't been able to sex her yet------has a healing  spot on one knee that the man has been nursing for months and is slowly getting better.  There are some other issues.

I decided to take the calmer on---Tito.  This iguana was obtained in Panama by a US soldier who came back to the US and kept the iguana for a year before he got transferred.  Somehow in his care the animal's knee got infected.  I will have to take her to the vet to get more treatment for her problems.  The reason I took her is that I made a connection with her and she enjoyed me petting her face and under her chin.  She is a beautiful iguana and I will show pictures of her to you all.  

Right now she is getting used to this place and she doesn't want me to touch her---she runs away.  I had her in her habitat and she wanted out and is now on my sofa looking out of the window and getting sun.   But I am sure we will become great friends as time goes on.  I am so happy!!!

• Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,095
Points 110,085
Linny t replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 1:30 PM

I am so happy for you Diane.  Tito!  I'm sure you'll soon nurse Tito back to health and he/she & you will become great friends.

Linny T

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,971
Points 63,920
Robin replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 1:46 PM

Hooray Diane,

I am so happy you found Tito!  Sounds like he or she needed a new home were she is bound to get plenty of TLC.   Looking forward to seeing pictures of her.

Thanks for all the well wishes with my test.  I've just got to buckle down and study.  I didn't pull weeds today.  I'm kinda in an off kilter mode.  Can seem to focus on anything to long.   I hope it will past soon.   I don't like being like this.   I have made some progress on thinking through Stephanie's block but that's about it.   Hope you all are having a good a day as Diane.   Can't wait to hear about Lillie's trip.

Robin

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,460
Points 137,893
Stephanie replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 3:43 PM

Robin,

Sorry to hear you're off kilter. Maybe more rest is all you need. We can't be on our game 24/7 and sometimes need to allow ourselves a guilt free "chill" day. I can hardly stay awake today, and I'm tired of fighting it, so I'm going for a nap and I don't care if I wake up at midnight and I'm up the rest of the night. 

Diane,

Welcome Tito! Did you have a good time going into DC? Anytime to go around, or was it just out to see the iguana's and back? I hope that Tito's wound heals. Can you use Neosporin on Lizards?  

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 282
Points 26,280

Stephanie, so sorry that Mike's brother was not able to visit but as others have said, it is better timing to have him come at a later date.  This week would have been exhausting for you.

Hope that you get some rest soon and get back to a "normal" schedule.  How much longer on this restaraunt job?

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 282
Points 26,280

Robin:
Slept so hard I didn't know when he came in or when he came to bed. 

Robin, you would not have slept like that if you did not need it.  Glad you were able to get the rest and that your body woke up and was ready to go this morning.

Hope that you took Linny's advice and didn't overdo the weed pulling. 

Good luck on the test for culinary.  I am sure that you will do fine.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 282
Points 26,280

Diane:
I decided to take the calmer on---Tito

Diane, congrats on bringing Tito home.  I am sure that you two will adjust to each other soon and the great friends you are anticipating.

Great that you were able to connect with her owner so soon.

Diane:
I am so happy

I bet you are!!

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 282
Points 26,280

Sorry to be absent all week.  Market had very little traffic this week again.  The vegetable vendors have all pulled out for the season and the lack of veggies reduces the traffic.  We watched cars pull in, scan the lot and pull back out.  There were people who got out of the car and looked, realized there were no veggies and got back in the car. 

Still had good sales.  Nothing big but enough little stuff that it was okay.  The soap lady next to me was busy knitting.  She had time to finish two dish cloths she had started and made two from start to finish.  That was how few customers she had.  She is like me and stops whatever she is doing to talk to any person who walks by her display.  She was the end of the row and not everyone went that far down.  I was fortunate to be in the middle and straight across from the access from the parking lot so I got a good amount of traffic.  Had one customer who wanted to use her credit card.  It was declined so she said she would come back with cash.  No surprise that she didn't.  I held the items she was looking at aside and will put them back up for sale next week if I do not hear from her.

I spent the majority of my creative time before market working on seasonal table runners.  It was what was holding my attention so I ran with it.  I believe I have sufficient Halloween and Fall table runners now.  I have one more market and the Oktoberfest next Saturday.  Oktoberfest last year was a good event for the fall themed items, so I wanted to be prepared.  I should do some more Christmas table runners but have had no interest yesterday or today.

I puddered around with my yarn yesterday afternoon.  Spent way too much time "sorting" and organizing.  Just wasn't interested in working on anything at that time.  I finally got some work done on a quilt I am using the scraps from the string star wedding quilt I made in August.  I had sufficient left from that quilt that I will probably end up with a full size quilt when done.

Today was shopping with Mom.  I also needed to pick up a few items that I had not gotten when I shopped earlier this week.  I ended up spending more than Mom.  She had papers for me to review when we got back to her apartment.  She is becoming more dependent on me for certain things but pushing her independence envelope in other things.  The quick trip to the store ended up being all morning.

When I got home and put my groceries away, I was inspired to make a pot of chili.  I also put some squash in the oven to bake.  Had planned to make meat loaf and scalloped potatoes because the weather was good for having the oven on.  Got the chili made and the squash cooked and that was the end of my cooking for the day.  We will have the meat loaf tomorrow if Tim is still interested.  He was actually willing to eat chili tonight so we will see about meat loaf tomorrow.  Chili is not his favorite but he said it smelled interesting today.  Didn't have seconds but he did eat a good size serving.

Fall has arrived in WNY.  We have had a lot of rain [which we needed] and temps have dropped.  It has been great sleeping weather.  We have the windows closed now and I am looking at putting flannel sheets back on the bed.  I wore full length jeans and started the day with a sweatshirt on at the Market Thursday.  Seemed strange to not have shorts on but also was good to get some of the warmer clothes out of the closet.  Curious what the winter will be for us in this area of the country.  We had such a mild winter last year and the summer was so extreme that it will be interesting.  Last weekend Lake Erie was still 72 degrees.  Last winter the lake never froze so it was a good thing that we had so little snow or the lake effects would have been unbearable.Hoping to do some sewing this evening.  I am feeling the pull toward working on a CQ Christmas tree skirt.  I think I have told you about the muslin templates I inherited for tree skirts.  There were muslin pieces for 8 skirts cut out and the batting also cut.  I found the batting but cannot remember where I put the muslin

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,049
Points 41,055
Diane replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 7:01 PM

Darlene:
Fall has arrived in WNY.

I'll bet it's beautiful Darlene.  I used to love to go to Connecticut in the fall to visit my Nana.  Fantastic!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,049
Points 41,055
Diane replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 7:08 PM

Robin, it sounds like your'e making up for lost sleep time.  Good for you!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,049
Points 41,055
Diane replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 7:22 PM

Stephanie:
Welcome Tito! Did you have a good time going into DC? Anytime to go around, or was it just out to see the iguana's and back? I hope that Tito's wound heals. Can you use Neosporin on Lizards?

I took the subway down to near Georgetown University.  The owner picked me up at the station.  It's a beautiful area of town.  When he saw how well Tito was taking to me he packed him up with his food dish in a large collapsable carrier and gave me a ride home.  

From what I read, this 'blister' disease needs to be excised by a vet then washed with anitibotics and then the iguana is given strong systemic antibiotics.  When it's in the early stages, a betadine bath 2x a day would help but this guy was neglected and it's not good.  Antibiotic ointment would work early on.

If you and Mike ever want to come for a couple of days, let me know.  You could rent a studio here for $35 a night or you could sleep in my living room.  The african couple seemed very comfortable there.  I am 2 blocks from the subway that will take you where you want to go in DC.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,095
Points 110,085
Linny t replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 7:55 PM

Darlene, you've been busy as usual.  So good to hear the cool weather is somewhere.  A pot of chili is always the first thing I want to make when it starts getting cool.  It won't be too long before we're all saying we're cold.  Isn't that wonderful?  Of course you get colder that we do down here.  It will be interesting to see what this winter is.  Last year it was like we didn't have one.  

I bet your seasonal runners are beautiful.  I hope you find the muslin pieces for the tree skirts.  That would be right up your alley - a CQ tree skirt.  I bet they'd sell like hotcakes too.  Especially in the north.

I hope you got some good sewing done this evening.  It's good to hear your mom is doing well and still trying to maintain her independence.  That's a very healthy thing.  I could see how it could be scary to you if she is pushing the envelope, though.

Linny T

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 282
Points 26,280

Yes Diane, the weather is wonderful.  Fall is actually my favorite season.  I love the chance/reason to wear sweatshirts and sweaters.  I don't do well with the heat and this summer was definitely warm here.  Since my inner child plays with matches most days, I don't even wear warm clothes most days in the winter.

On an aside, the site was being very cranky for me for over an hour.  Finally shut down and rebooted my computer.  Adobe Flash Player wanted to update.  I did the update and now I can post.  I got kicked out during my last post.  Wasn't even sure it posted.  Couldn't type anything.  New tabs were opening for every page when i was trying to read the forums.  Very frustrating.  And the more frustrated I became, the more determined I got about getting to the bottom of this.

I was talking about the CQ Christmas skirts I want to do.  I envision the muslin as the foundation and filled with CQ done in the holiday prints I have.  Not sure how much embellishing I would do but thought some machine seam enhancement done with decorative stitches would look nice.  Biggest problem is figuring out the backing.  If I use the muslin as foundation and stitch the wedges together, I will need to make a backing, sandwich and quilt and then bind.  Other option is to make backing and sandwich WST.  Sew together leaving a turning spot along the seam where the ties would be.  If I sew WST and turn, do I make the back wedges and sew together like the front?

I have had these pieces for the skirts for a couple years and it looks like it will be another year before i figure out how to do this.  Of course, I need to find the muslin before I can do anything.  LOL.  I have put them someplace very safe.  Maybe too safe.

Well I fought this silly computer long enough that I better just cancel any ideas about being creative tonight.  If I go to the dungeon now, I will become engrossed in something and not go to bed in a reasonable time frame.  I have to talk to both services at church tomorrow about financial status which means a long day at church.  First sevice is 8:30 and I will be there until at least 1 PM.  Should get my clothes laid out and relax.  Now that I have gotten to the bottom of the QCA dilemma, I can sleep.

Peaceful dreams for all.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,460
Points 137,893
Stephanie replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 8:21 PM

Diane:
I took the subway down to near Georgetown University.  The owner picked me up at the station.  It's a beautiful area of town.  When he saw how well Tito was taking to me he packed him up with his food dish in a large collapsable carrier and gave me a ride home.

It was an adventure. That was really nice of the owner to pick you up from the station and take you both home.

I went through a photostream of Georgetown University after you said how beautiful it was. The interior of Gaston Hall is incredible as well as the thousands of tulips planted on the grounds in spring. Looks like a big piece of history in those buildings. When my brother was stationed in the Pentagon he kept trying to get me to come up and take me on a tour around. Mike's Dad became ill early on in our marriage and for over twenty years we went up to Michighan on vacation expecting it  to be his last. Always had a good visit, but missed lots of time and adventures with my family. Thank you so much for the invite. One day we just may take you up on that! $35.00 a night is very reasonable.

Thanks for the info on the blister disease. You certainly have done your homework on keeping these fascinating creatures well. Hope the vet can start him back on the right track.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,460
Points 137,893
Stephanie replied on Sat, Sep 22 2012 8:28 PM

Darlene:
How much longer on this restaraunt job?

I think we have about another week, depending on the owners. They are inclined to change their minds midstream. One has contemporary tastes while the other likes the old boathouse look. I usually have to come up with something to meet in the middle. They're willing to pay time and material, so we are compensated for anything they decide which is great. They just want what they want, no matter how many times they change their minds.  

Page 199 of 366 (5486 items) «Prev197198199200201Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use