rated by 0 users
This post has 5,485 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,341
Points 113,610
Linny t replied on Tue, Mar 20 2012 11:17 AM

Diane:
For all the hours we put into our little masterpieces, we would never get what they are worth.

This is true, Diane.  Hopefully you can get time to stitch in between making earings, right?  Stitching satisfies something in me the way nothing else does.  I can understand the concept about selling earings and sewing for yourself, definately.  Especially if you have a lot of free time. 

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,118
Points 67,365
Robin replied on Tue, Mar 20 2012 4:26 PM

Diane:

Linny t:
Diane, your Etsy store sounds like about as much fun as doing CQ to me. 

It is fun but I do love to hand sew.   And when no one is buying......it's wait and see.   It's just good to have something to make that does't  take hours that I can sell and maybe see a profit.  For all the hours we put into our little masterpieces, we would never get what they are worth.   Making earrings does use some artistic ability which is what we need.

Diane,

I wouldn't even know where to start pricing at.  I guess that's why I always shutter when someone ask if they can get me to make something for them.  I know that eventually we'll have to talk price and I just don't know where I would begin.   My daughter at FSU had a sorority sister ask if I would make her a tshirt quilt, she would gladly pay me.  I just couldn't even begin to figure out how to explain that was just not something I knew how to do.   I think for now I stick to doing it for the ones I love.  You have really impressed me with your go get them attitude.   It seems like just  last week you were talking about making some earrings for friends and now your an entrepreneur.  It shows a lot of courage.  You go girl!

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Tue, Mar 20 2012 6:08 PM

Diane:
For all the hours we put into our little masterpieces, we would never get what they are worth.

So true! This made me consider what it would cost to buy all the materials to make a even a king size quilt. At todays prices of $10.00 a yard you'd need a  minimum of 16 yards for front and back, another yard to bind, thread and batting. That's in excess of $200.00 just for materials. What a scream!!! That is usually enough to dissuade even the most persistent of inquirers that want quilts made for them.    

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,341
Points 113,610
Linny t replied on Tue, Mar 20 2012 7:30 PM

Stephanie:

Diane:

So true! This made me consider what it would cost to buy all the materials to make a even a king size quilt. At todays prices of $10.00 a yard you'd need a  minimum of 16 yards for front and back, another yard to bind, thread and batting. That's in excess of $200.00 just for materials. What a scream!!! That is usually enough to dissuade even the most persistent of inquirers that want quilts made for them.    

You know it Stephanie.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,118
Points 67,365
Robin replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 6:24 AM

Good morning Everyone!

I pray that today you find the joy that fills you all the way to the seams of your fingers. 

Robin

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 357
Points 9,640

Diane.....I gave my friend the butterfly earrings last night and she was sooooo happy with them.  I told her they were and original and she would be the only one with them.  She came back later to play dominoes and she had them on. They look so nice on her. She said she had been wanting to get some danglie (sp?) ones.  I was very happy with my selection for her. They look really beautiful!!    normajo1030

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,341
Points 113,610
Linny t replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 8:58 AM

Robin:

Good morning Everyone!

I pray that today you find the joy that fills you all the way to the seams of your fingers. 

Robin

I like that, Robin...seams of your fingers....makes me remember that I was Knit together in my mother's womb.  Same right back to you, dear!

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,159
Points 43,045
Diane replied on Wed, Mar 21 2012 1:33 PM

normajo1030:
  I was very happy with my selection for her. They look really beautiful!!

Thank you Norma for the encouragement!  I love the color of the stones---I call it raspberry--they are natural polished stones.  I like the butterfly theme and am now making some chandelier butterfly earrings.    They do make nice gifts.   Thank you for your business too.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,341
Points 113,610
Linny t replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 3:10 PM

How's everyone doing today? 

Diane, I have to say that my Etsy experience was a very plesant one. 

Linny T

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,159
Points 43,045
Diane replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 3:38 PM

Linny t:
Diane, I have to say that my Etsy experience was a very plesant one. 

That makes me very happy Linny!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 3:56 PM

I really like Etsy too. It could be addicitng. LOL. Like I need another addiciton!

Linny t:

How's everyone doing today? 

Pretty good actually. Finished the woodgrain on the garage and front door and was home in time to keep from being out in the heat of the day. Did my weigh in for the first week. Six pounds gone. Probably would have been 10 if I was actually eating more veg's and fruits and less cake and ice cream. I know it'll slow down after this but I'm determined to keep that scale moving  down .

Mike took the day off to work in the garage. He got half of it done. Enough to put the riding mower back where it belongs. I know he must just wish back for the days that I used to go out there and take care of all of his mess.  Maybe if he has to clean up his own mess for a while, he'll stop bringing so much stuff home and leave touch up on the jobs where it belongs. Probably not, but I can dream, can't I?

Paul is in the clouds. He has two girls vieing for his attention. He said one is really sweet, and the other is a bombshell. Which one do you suppose will win out? Sigh! He is destined to keep making the same mistakes. I'm not saying a word.....They just need to learn on their own.

I'm getting ready to pull my project out and do some stitching and relax for the evening. Hope you can find some time to do the same. : ) 

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,159
Points 43,045
Diane replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 4:23 PM

Stephanie:
I really like Etsy too. It could be addicitng. LOL. Like I need another addiciton!

It is interesting to see what other people do with their artistic ability.  I spend time just looking.  Sometimes the stuff is crazy.  Like large balsa wood stamped earrings.  And other things are just beautiful!  It's fun to browse.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,341
Points 113,610
Linny t replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 6:51 PM

Stephanie, I hear that about additctions.  I'm glad you had a good day.  Paul must be handsom to have 2 girls to woo.  It's hard to keep quiet about their choices, isn't it.  Now that Audra is living with me I find I am saying nothing a lot more than is normal for me.  I don't want her to think I'm trying to run her life.  It's hard when you see them headed for another lesson, isn't it? 

I hope you got some quality stitching time in tonight.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,341
Points 113,610
Linny t replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 6:54 PM

Diane:
It is interesting to see what other people do with their artistic ability.  I spend time just looking.  Sometimes the stuff is crazy.  Like large balsa wood stamped earrings.  And other things are just beautiful!

There is a lot of interesting stuff on Etsy, Diane.  Some of it is just wild.  It's fun just to browse around.

Linny T

Not Ranked
Posts 28
Points 665
Joyce A replied on Thu, Mar 22 2012 9:39 PM

Hi! I've been sick (Hospital 9 day) since in Jan. I have kidney disease but it is treatable and eventually I will be OK. In the meantime it just zaps all my energy. Yesterday I did make some progress in the house and got some Easter stuff out. Today I went to a cousin's funeral and tomorrow will volunteer again at the thrift store. I think I will get strength back faster if I push myself. Washing the kitchen floor this a.m. took every ounce of energy I could muster up. I want to get back to CQ—have two gifts I want to do. If I can just get the machine work done I can sit with hubby Bob (handicapped with brain injury after a ruptured brain aneurysm 5 yrs ago) and do the embellishments.

I've been reading your posts and I'd like to get back in the loop!

Joyce

Page 43 of 366 (5486 items) «Prev4142434445Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use