Spiders and Spider Webs.

rated by 0 users
This post has 86 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,100
Points 110,185
Linny t replied on Wed, Sep 21 2011 7:28 PM

Diane, I think it's so cool that you had a gramma with quail who pecked at your feet.  What a great memory!  I like your Charlotte, too.  She is beautiful!

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,467
Points 138,003
Stephanie replied on Wed, Sep 21 2011 8:46 PM

Diane:

I got this love of animals from my French grandmother who had birds, dogs, a lizard, and hatched a quail egg once that she ordered in the mail.  That quail ran around her apartment for years and when I came to visit her in sandals, she would peck my feet--or try to...LOL

What a neat story. Your grandmother must have had a gift to hatch that quail from an egg and have it live for years. Made me smile to think of all the pets and that little bird coming after you and trying to peck your feet and making you do the shuffle . What a character. LOL

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,052
Points 41,100
Diane replied on Thu, Sep 22 2011 12:27 AM

Linny--that quail pecking at my feet was frightening!  Other memories are good though!   LOL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,467
Points 138,003
Stephanie replied on Thu, Sep 22 2011 5:18 AM

Diane:
that quail pecking at my feet was frightening!

Sorry for making light of it when it was frightening to you Diane. It reminded me of a cockatiel we had that flew into a guests plate at Christmas. He just started pecking and eating the guests potatoes. He'd take a time out and look up at my guest and go back down and start eating some more. He was funny, yours was not.  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,052
Points 41,100
Diane replied on Thu, Sep 22 2011 11:32 AM

Stephanie:
Sorry for making light of it when it was frightening to you Diane
[quote user="Stephanie" 

No problem Stephanie---it happened 45 years ago but somehow I remember those pecks!  I have had cockatiels which were hand fed as babies.  They would wake me up in the morning by coming onto the bed and talking to me!  Those birds are very intelligent and if they weren't such a mess to keep I would have one.

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 56
Points 1,795
susandf replied on Thu, Sep 22 2011 12:09 PM

Here in Arizona we have several poisonous spiders and of course, the way too common scorpions!  (although I haven't encountered a tarantula yet)

...and when I was teaching, the sudden appearance of one these arachnids could, as Robin points out, make even 17 year old manboys squirm!  However, it was the girl's screeching that caused me to calmly walk over and step on the "bugger". (screeching gives me a headache!)

Then....unbelievably, the girls would start to tear up...."How could you kill it?" "It is just a little creature trying to live out its life...." and my all time favorite:  "Couldn't you just catch it and take it outside and release it?"

...another reason why those that continue to teach have my vote for most understanding humans on the planet!

And as a result, I tend to include more butterflies than spiders in my CQ'ing. 

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,100
Points 110,185
Linny t replied on Thu, Sep 22 2011 6:35 PM

susandf:

...another reason why those that continue to teach have my vote for most understanding humans on the planet!

I ditto this, Susan.

Now I have a rule about critters like this.  They can live out their lives outside.  If they come in my home uninvited, their life will be shortened.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,974
Points 63,980
Robin replied on Sun, Sep 25 2011 3:05 PM

susandf:

And as a result, I tend to include more butterflies than spiders in my CQ'ing. 

Susan,

I'm with you.   Butterflies any day!   What did you teach?

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,467
Points 138,003
Stephanie replied on Sun, Sep 25 2011 5:16 PM

Linny t:
If they come in my home uninvited, their life will be shortened.

Plinking away on the computer in the wee hours last night, I hear Otis doing the "yowl" meow that he does when he really wants to draw my attention. All of a sudden one of those wolf monster spiders makes a beeline across the carpet and stops right in front of me. The race was on. I didn't know I still had it in me to do the Spider Stomp.  LOL.   

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,100
Points 110,185
Linny t replied on Sun, Sep 25 2011 7:19 PM

This is too funny!  I wonder if I could still do the spider stomp.  I usually don't have to because I have a bug eating dog.  Lucky has bat ears when it comes to bugs.  She will sit there with her ears pointed at the floor under a piece of furniture just waiting patiently until the little creature ventures out where she can get it.  Even the little daddy long legs can't escape her bionic hearing.  It's a trip to watch.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,467
Points 138,003
Stephanie replied on Mon, Sep 26 2011 5:21 AM

Linny t:
.  I usually don't have to because I have a bug eating dog.

LOL. What breed of dog is Lucky? I don't recall you mentioning having a dog? Shiloh used to go on bug patrol, even in the yard. I had to watch her with the bees though. I bet she is a trip to watch. LOL

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,100
Points 110,185
Linny t replied on Mon, Sep 26 2011 10:49 AM

Stephanie:

Linny t:
.  I usually don't have to because I have a bug eating dog.

LOL. What breed of dog is Lucky? I don't recall you mentioning having a dog? Shiloh used to go on bug patrol, even in the yard. I had to watch her with the bees though. I bet she is a trip to watch. LOL

Lucky is a mut.  Ricky was driving down a back road near work one day and stopped to move a dead dog off the road.  When he got up close, he notice that the dog was female and nursing.  He whistled into the woods next to the road and out comes this little bat eared, curly tailed black puppy, so he brought it home.  There were others but they wouldn't come out, so we called the authorities to come get them so they wouldn't starve to death.  We kept Lucky and she quickly became a part of the family.  My grand daughter named her Lucky be cause she was lucky that Ricky came along.   

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,467
Points 138,003
Stephanie replied on Mon, Sep 26 2011 6:01 PM

Sweet story Linny. : )

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,974
Points 63,980
Robin replied on Tue, Sep 27 2011 5:13 PM

Sounds like Lucky was lucky Ricky found him and your lucky you have him.

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,100
Points 110,185
Linny t replied on Tue, Sep 27 2011 6:50 PM

Robin:

Sounds like Lucky was lucky Ricky found him and your lucky you have him.

Robin

She was and I was, Robin.  Lucky was a huge comfort to me after Ricky passed.  She was almost as sad as I was, poor thing.  She's a great doggie friend to me.

Linny T

Page 4 of 6 (87 items) «Prev23456Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use