Spiders and Spider Webs.

rated by 0 users
This post has 86 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,755
Points 120,620
Linny t Posted: Sat, Sep 17 2011 1:25 PM

I decided to start a post just for Spiders and Spider Webs since they are such an elemental part of Crazy Quilting.  This way, if anyone decides to put one on their CQ they can just find this discussion

I did a little reasearch this afternoon and found some good information.

Carolyn Phillips Spiders and Spider Webs (This is the same link I posted in CQ Close Ups)

Kitty and Me Designs Tutorial

Sharon Boggons In a Minutes Ago Whiped Spiders Wheel

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,694
Points 141,583
Stephanie replied on Sun, Sep 18 2011 8:06 AM

Did you see the eye candy close ups on Kitty and Me. OMG!   Thanks for the links. I do like the beaded spiders.

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,755
Points 120,620
Linny t replied on Sun, Sep 18 2011 8:20 AM

Yes.  I wish she sold materials, but only completed items.  What a tallented CQr!

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,225
Points 70,075
Robin replied on Sun, Sep 18 2011 3:52 PM

Linny,

Great resources.   I appreciate your research skills.

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,755
Points 120,620
Linny t replied on Sun, Sep 18 2011 5:48 PM

Research is something I like to do and I'm glad you find it useful.  I had my own way of doing spiders webs, but it's iteresting to see that there are other ways to go about it. 

How's your Sunday going, Robin?

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,225
Points 70,075
Robin replied on Sun, Sep 18 2011 7:01 PM

Well, it's been busy with family which is always good but not productive.   I need to stop playing on the internet and get my lesson plans finished.    But I need advice.   I got my bday present from my inlaws today and I wanted to purchase silk ribbons.  I went to ESD and now I don't know what colors to buy.   I basically have very little mostly left overs from the set at school.  So where do I start????

Robin

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,755
Points 120,620
Linny t replied on Sun, Sep 18 2011 7:12 PM

Robin:
I got my bday present from my inlaws today and I wanted to purchase silk ribbons.  I went to ESD and now I don't know what colors to buy.   I basically have very little mostly left overs from the set at school.  So where do I start????

You should think of what you'll be making the most and get colors that'll work for that.  For me that is flowers so I always start with flower colors and greens.

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,225
Points 70,075
Robin replied on Mon, Sep 19 2011 5:23 PM

Thanks for the advice.  I wanted to catch the sale at ESD before it ends.

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,694
Points 141,583
Stephanie replied on Mon, Sep 19 2011 6:54 PM

Robin:
I got my bday present from my inlaws today and I wanted to purchase silk ribbons. 

Happy Birthday? Have fun shopping!!!!   

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,755
Points 120,620
Linny t replied on Mon, Sep 19 2011 8:06 PM

You are welcome, Robin.  You made me remember that I have a gift card I got from my sister for my birthday that I haven't spent yet....lookout ESD!

Linny T

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,271
Points 45,375
Diane replied on Mon, Sep 19 2011 10:18 PM

Happy Birthday Robin!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 56
Points 1,795
susandf replied on Mon, Sep 19 2011 10:42 PM

I always thought it odd that spider and spider webs - things that make most of us go "Eeeeeeeuuuuuuuuwwwwww" were considered good luck and added to crazy quilts - made at a time when "ladylike behavior" had little to do with little crawly insects!

But they do make very nice embellishment options!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,694
Points 141,583
Stephanie replied on Tue, Sep 20 2011 4:12 AM

I have wondered about this myself. Even though I am afraid of them, I see beauty in them. Maybe not the spiders themselves but their intricate webs with dew drops sparkiling in the sun remind me of strings of diamonds. And I like that their webs capture unwanted insects like flies and garden pests. 

So many wonders we have in nature, and everything has a reason for being here. I need another lifetime to really appreciate the details and history of it all.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,225
Points 70,075
Robin replied on Tue, Sep 20 2011 5:20 AM

I agree with you ladies about the spiders.  However, why is that the ones that jump out at you in and make you jump and go eeeek! are not love jeweled encrusted works of art, but brown furry things that may or may not be poisonous.   And why do they have to appear in the middle of class and make even 17 year boys become alarmed.

Oh the funny things that happen at school!

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,694
Points 141,583
Stephanie replied on Tue, Sep 20 2011 5:38 AM

Robin:
why is that the ones that jump out at you in and make you jump and go eeeek!

LOL, Everyone respects the fear of the spider.

I think they are secretly  laughing at us. (Look at little "me" scaring that big human.) LOL. And they're so darned fast! They seem to read your mind if you leave to get the Raid can. They know! And you go back and can't find them, and are left wondering where they're going to pop out next.  If it wasn't for the poisonous factor, I'd laugh right along with them for getting one over on me....

Page 1 of 6 (87 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2016 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.