E Reader Cover: Perfect for CQ

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 56
Points 1,795
susandf Posted: Sun, Jun 12 2011 11:59 AM

My wonderful children gave me an E-Reader for Christmas this year.  It was the perfect gift as I am a voracious reader!

E-readers are relatively small and need protective covers.  Perfect for Crazy Quilting!

This is from the cover I made for mine.  It is "purse proof" - as my purse can be a dangerous place!    As a newbie to QCA, media loading still has me a bit weary.  Photos of the complete front and back can be found here.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,603
Points 117,915
Linny t replied on Sun, Jun 12 2011 1:39 PM

susandf:

My wonderful children gave me an E-Reader for Christmas this year.  It was the perfect gift as I am a voracious reader!

E-readers are relatively small and need protective covers.  Perfect for Crazy Quilting!

This is from the cover I made for mine.  It is "purse proof" - as my purse can be a dangerous place!    As a newbie to QCA, media loading still has me a bit weary.  Photos of the complete front and back can be found here.

Susan, welcome to the CQ group.  This is really beautiful!  I don't have an e-reader yet, but I'm doing comparative shopping.  I bet lots of people on this site need one of these.  I love the little beaded goddess faces.  Lot's of good ideas on the site.  I have subscribed to the blog.  Thanks for sharing it.  If enough people are interested, we'll make it one of our current projects.

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 56
Points 1,795
susandf replied on Sun, Jun 12 2011 9:30 PM

Thanks! 

I love doing CQ.  It never gets monotonous or tedious because of the constantly changing stitches and colors!  I doubt I will ever get through my Stash with it though - one 3 - 4" piece at a time!

Thanks also for subscribing to The Destashification Project website.  I am really enjoying creating and posting.  I have to start sewing some curtains for my son, so it looks like a tutorial on lined curtains may be the next posting!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Mon, Jun 13 2011 8:18 AM

Susan

Your kindle cover is beautiful.  I love the beaded goddess.  I made a cover for my kindle that is trifold.  May have to make one with CQ in the future.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 56
Points 1,795
susandf replied on Mon, Jun 13 2011 4:19 PM

The engineer in me is intrigued by the idea of a tri-fold. 

Does it stand on its own? 

I used batting in mine, but was thinking a tri-fold with plastic canvas (wrapped in flannel) would provide sufficient structural support that it might stand on its own (so I could read and quilt/knit/sew)!

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,603
Points 117,915
Linny t replied on Mon, Jun 13 2011 6:59 PM

susandf:

The engineer in me is intrigued by the idea of a tri-fold. 

Does it stand on its own? 

I used batting in mine, but was thinking a tri-fold with plastic canvas (wrapped in flannel) would provide sufficient structural support that it might stand on its own (so I could read and quilt/knit/sew)!

Now there's an idea!  I'd like one of those so when I finally get and e-reader I could read while I eat my lunch with 2 hands when necessary.  That plastic canvas comes in more than one thickness, if I remember correctly.  The plastic would make it still washable, although a little thicker in your purse. The trifold "wings" would also keep light from streaming across the screen, not that I know from experience that this is a common problem.

I bet you could do the same thing with a notebook style, if  it was top folding.   When the top cover is backward folded back, to keep it from collapsing altogether, maybe a strap that would fasten with hook and loop tape to the bottom of the e-reader side of the piece.  The strap would keep it standing like an upside down "V" and look from the side like a triangle. Gravty against the resistance of the strap would keep it standing.   It would be kind of like one of those little travel alarm clocks they used to have before LCD and digital...I may be dating myself here, LOL. 

Confusing, huh?  Maybe I should leave the thinking to an engineer like yourself, Susan :)  I will watch for one to pop up sometime on your blog.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,693
Points 141,563
Stephanie replied on Tue, Jun 14 2011 6:09 AM

Welcome Susan,

Love what you did with the ereader cover. Great idea. I was thinking of making my hussif so it would stand. A trifold design with possibly a small flap with snaps or velcro so that when you open it into a triangle the center would be face down for support and the front and back brought up and the flap could be snapped to hold the front and back in place. might work for the ereader as well. You could place it in your lap and it would be angled for viewing and hands free. When your finished it would fold into a trifold notebook and the flap would hold it closed for travel. 

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Tue, Jun 14 2011 8:19 AM

Susan

I feel sure that it would be possible to make the trifold stiff.  I put a pocket on the middle trifold to hold the power cord so that I would have it with me anytime I might need it.  I used the magnetic pocket book snap closure to make a closure for the trifold.  I would change the pocket to hold the kindle if I make another.  I placed the pocket at the bottom of the fold.  The kindle will slide out of the pocket when it is closed if it gets turned upside down.  If I make another I will put the pocket on the side of the fold so that the kindle is completely enclosed when the trifold is closed.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,693
Points 141,563
Stephanie replied on Tue, Jun 14 2011 2:22 PM

Nana:
I used the magnetic pocket book snap closure to make a closure for the trifold.

Great idea Nana.

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 56
Points 1,795
susandf replied on Tue, Jun 14 2011 4:30 PM

OK...now the engineer in me is too intrigued to let this go....

I am going to try some ideas and see if I can up with a proto-type.

While we are on the subject...does anyone have/use the voice option on their e-reader?  Although I love to read (heading to the pool with my e-reader after I finish this), it would be nice to not have to stop sewing to start reading.

I guess that would be the ultimate in multi-tasking!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Tue, Jun 14 2011 6:14 PM

Susan

I haven't tried the voice option yet.  Let me know if you try it.  Do you have the kindle or something else.  Amazon has a book called Still life with Muder for free right now.  The book is awesome.  I started it this morning and couldn't put it down until I finished it.  The book is by P. B. Ryan.   I recommend it to anyone that likes a mystery and history.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 56
Points 1,795
susandf replied on Tue, Jun 14 2011 11:17 PM

Found an existing "hard cover" trifold - stand up e-reader holder pattern/tutorial at this site:

It is a nice start toward what I think we want..

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,603
Points 117,915
Linny t replied on Wed, Jun 15 2011 11:08 AM

susandf:

Found an existing "hard cover" trifold - stand up e-reader holder pattern/tutorial at this site:

It is a nice start toward what I think we want..

That's what I was trying to describe sort of.  It looked like they just set it on itself to stand.  I wonder if it falls if you bump it or something. 

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Fri, Jul 22 2011 1:20 AM

I have started the CQ part of my e reader cover.  Still early in the process but I think it will turn out well.  If I ever get a new camera that works I will post pics.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,603
Points 117,915
Linny t replied on Fri, Jul 22 2011 8:20 AM

Hey, Nana.  Long time no see :)  One day I'll get an e-reader and have to make one of these, too.  I'll have those that have done it before me to learn from.

Linny T

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.