Crazy Quilt BOM

rated by 0 users
This post has 392 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,339
Points 113,570
Linny t Posted: Sun, Jun 5 2011 8:43 AM

A Crazy Quilt Block of the Month (BOM) is different from most quilt BOMs.  That's because Crazy Quilts are very subjective things by nature.  All of the decisions of the block are totally up to the maker, including fabrics and placement of the patches.  

For this BOM, the theme will be the months.  We're starting with July.  Everyone is encouraged to decide how big they want their blocks to be.  They should be of a size that can be completed monthly, so not too large if you intend to work a lot by hand. 

In order to somewhat unify our BOM group, I will post a monthly blog with theme suggestions for each month.  I've posted a blog for June inspirations, but I think it will take folks time to gather their supplies and think about it.  So our BOM won't officially start until July 1.  This will give everyone time to gather things, get organized and ask questions.  This is a place to draw inspirations from, but no one is limited to these ideas and everyone is welcome to comment on the blog posts and expand on the ideas there. 

To start your BOM, first consider what size quilt you want to end up with and what layout you want also.  By layout, I mean 3 blocks by 4 or a larger central block surrounded by smaller ones, with sashing or without, with a border or without, etc.  I suggest doing a sketch of your layout, or if you have EQ software, do your layout that way.  Once you have your layout, you will know what size your blocks need to be.

Next, decide what type of fabrics you want to use.  This is a good point to start thinking about how you intend to use your finished quilt.  Everything made of fabric will need to be cleaned eventually.  Cottons are easy to work with and launder.  If you are looking for a more traditional CQ, then dry cleaning will most likely be required.  Once you know what fabric you are going to use, you can start gathering that.  Remember that you will need muslin for the backing fabric on the blocks, as well as a backing fabric for the whole quilt.  Batting is optional. 

Next consider how you want to embellish your seams and how much embellishment you want to put on your patches.  Start a collection of things you want to put on your CQ.  Crazy quilts are great places to put little memorabilia, like cherished doilies and hankies, pieces of clothing from your children, pieces of old jewelry, just to name a few.

There are a couple of blog entries that may be helpful in this process.  They are the entries we used for the New Beginnings project

Starting A Crazy Quilt

Cutting and Basting the Patches

These instructions are for hand piecing.  This is the traditional method.  One popular machine method is commonly referred to as Sew and Flip.  In the blog section on this site there is a wonderful tutorial for machine piecing.  Just click on the Blogs and page down until you see the 3 tutorials.

There are no hard and fast rules to this BOM.  Feel free to do all the blocks or pick and choose which months you want to do.  Remember, we're all in this for the love of it, not for the have-to of it.  I think we all have enough have-to's in our lives.  Our beloved craft doesn't have to be one of them. 

As always your comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Linny T

• Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 35
Points 730
Cathy K replied on Tue, Jun 7 2011 3:46 PM

I'll start planning my BOM.   It will probably take all month to plan how to relate the blocks to one another. 

I have the Piecemakers calendars for 2001, 2002, and 2009.  They all feature crazy quilting with different themes.  Very inspiring if you can get look at them.  The calendar includes a quilting book with instructions for construction and patterns for many of the motifs used.  The Shibori Dragon was lucky enough to display the 2009 quilt for a month.  It was outstanding and even though the calendar is photographed beautifully, it does't capture the closeup in person inspection. 

The older calendars are occasionally available on the web site... www.piecemakers.com

Off to making plans.....Be Sew Happy...Cathy

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,339
Points 113,570
Linny t replied on Tue, Jun 7 2011 3:52 PM

Thanks for the link, Cathy.  What a treat to look through the gallery!

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Points 2,005

I don't understand why each block would have muslin. Are you saying the background is muslin and these blocks are applique? Also does each month have the same theme so when finished the quilt will be like all stars? I have never done a crazy quilt-I think you guessed that part-but I like the idea. I have a large supply of 5" Batiks that could make a wonderful design for the hot days of summer. I will look at your blog and get more information. Thanks

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,339
Points 113,570
Linny t replied on Fri, Jun 10 2011 8:00 AM

Bettie:

I don't understand why each block would have muslin. Are you saying the background is muslin and these blocks are applique? Also does each month have the same theme so when finished the quilt will be like all stars? I have never done a crazy quilt-I think you guessed that part-but I like the idea. I have a large supply of 5" Batiks that could make a wonderful design for the hot days of summer. I will look at your blog and get more information. Thanks

Hi, Bettie.  The blocks all have a muslin foundation.  In other words, they are constructed on top of muslin.  Since all the pieces are odd shaped, this is how you control the bias.  Each block will have the theme of the month you are creating it.  In other words, it can be all your memories of July, or Just what July means to you or really whatever you want it to be.  It can be as simple or complex as you like.  Take a look at the New Beginnings thread.  We all did a block with the theme of "Spring". 

I thinks batiks make wonderful CQs.  Check out Claudette's work in Media.  She did hers in batiks and it is really beautiful.

Linny T

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 27,260
Darlene replied on Fri, Jun 10 2011 11:54 AM

Bettie:

Bettie, I think Linny answered the muslin portion of your question well but I wanted to throw in the fact that I frequently use old sheets or pillowcases as my foundation rather than muslin.  This reduces my expense and helps me recycle.  Biggest thing to think about when recycling fabric for your foundation is the thread count--will you struggle to get the needle through when you start your embellishing?  Some sheets are miserable to embroider thru and this will spoil your joy in the project.

As Linny stated, the main purpose of the foundation is to control the bias of your pieces and help you to square everything up when you are finished.  I usually do all my primary piecing in the stitch and flip method (all on machine) to speed up the process and get me to the embellishing portion faster.  I feel this makes my piece slightly more stable when I am embellishing.  The down side to stitch and flip is that it reduces the odd shapes some because you are always sewing a straight line.  There are wonderful tuitorials about all methods of construction. 

In regards to the batiks, I use batiks frequently for my CQ projects.  I love the gradation in colors which makes it look like you have used more fabrics than you did.  They take to embellishing well--almost like an enhancement to the fabric design, but don't neccessarily need to be embellished as heavily based on the fabric design.  I do take short cuts and minimize my additions to the fabric frequently.  When using batiks or novelty/themed fabrics, I feel that they do not need to be enhanced.  In this scenario, I may incorporate my ribbons or lace into the seams when stitching to my foundation. 

Good luck.  Don't be intimidated by the process.  My favorite part of CQing is that there are no rules and you can do whatever makes you happy.  Start small and tackle something you will not be overwhelmed with.

Darlene

Darlene

from Western New York

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 55
Points 1,260
Marsha replied on Mon, Jun 13 2011 8:14 PM

I think I'll start working on this one, though instead of one block per month I'm going to plan on one per season.  The first will be my favorite things about summer.  That gives me more time to finish it and more ideas too.  How does that sound?

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,339
Points 113,570
Linny t replied on Mon, Jun 13 2011 8:32 PM

Well, then Marsha, there's 2 of us.  That's exactly the idea I have in my mind.  Instead of a BOM, for us it's a BOS :)  

Linny T

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 55
Points 1,260
Marsha replied on Wed, Jun 15 2011 8:39 PM

Linny t:

Well, then Marsha, there's 2 of us.  That's exactly the idea I have in my mind.  Instead of a BOM, for us it's a BOS :)  

Oh, that's nice.  I'll be looking forward to seeing what you come up with.  I think I'll try to make mine a size that I can make into a tote bag.  I could use something new for taking projects back and forth to work.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 870
Nancy replied on Fri, Jun 17 2011 3:34 PM

I like your ideas, Linny and Marsha,I have a new pattern for a tote that I got yesterday at Joann's. (only $1.99 on their sale!) I was trying to figure out how to fit everything on a monthly block, this is much better.  Thanks for the new idea!

Nancy

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,339
Points 113,570
Linny t replied on Fri, Jun 17 2011 8:13 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing your tote, Nancy.  This is going to be so much fun!

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,117
Points 67,345
Robin replied on Tue, Jun 21 2011 8:00 PM

Linny,

I'm going to try this group.  I've got a plan 10" blocks one for each month reflecting the events of the month for our family.   June will be including my birthday and the symbols of the my birth month,  it will also include children representing me and my daughters mission trip to Mississippi and a new kitten,  of course June's not over yet.   Oh I forgot the I wanted to ask if I make the squares from cottons would I be able to use a lightweigh velvet for my sashing.   I want to use some black I've got.   I think it will make the colors pop and give it a little more vintage?

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,339
Points 113,570
Linny t replied on Tue, Jun 21 2011 8:43 PM

Robin:

Linny,

I'm going to try this group.  I've got a plan 10" blocks one for each month reflecting the events of the month for our family.   June will be including my birthday and the symbols of the my birth month,  it will also include children representing me and my daughters mission trip to Mississippi and a new kitten,  of course June's not over yet.   Oh I forgot the I wanted to ask if I make the squares from cottons would I be able to use a lightweigh velvet for my sashing.   I want to use some black I've got.   I think it will make the colors pop and give it a little more vintage?

Robin

I don't see why not, Robin.  CQ is anything your heart desires.  Your ideas sound great and I love the sweet little bits about you and your daughters and the kitten.  I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,339
Points 113,570
Linny t replied on Wed, Jun 22 2011 6:04 PM

In honor of starting my Summer block along with everyone doing the BOM, I've gotten some supplies from Evening Star Designs.  I got a jewel tone combo fabric pack, some silk ribbon, Wildflower threads and lace appliques.  The package came today and tickled me pink.  I won't post a picture just yet as some of the fabric won't work for Summer, but when I get it paired with what I have in my stash, I'll post a picture.  Besides, I want to play with and pet it first, lol.  I'm looking forward to getting started. 

Linny T

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Wed, Jun 22 2011 8:24 PM

Sounds Luscious! ESD has such beautiful combo packs. Look forward to seeing your collection. 

Page 1 of 27 (393 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use