gini replied on Tue, Jun 7 2011 3:01 PM

stephanie, your laces are amazing.  

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,340

I love your lace, Stephanie.  Those look like they will be perfect for CQ.  I really like how your bird came out... the fact that the lines didn't all stitch out kind of gives it a hand-stamped look.  Very striking.  Can't wait to see you do more!

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,176
Points 111,405
Linny t replied on Wed, Jun 8 2011 11:41 AM

I just wanted to share this site.  It is called Tinsel Trading Co.  They sell vintage and reproduction trims, embellishments and other things.  Some of the vintage trims are like $75.00 per yard and are said to be authentic antique trims.  It's fun to look at.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Wed, Jun 8 2011 2:40 PM

http://friedaquilter.blogspot.com/

look at the linear crazy quiting that is on the edges of this blog. 

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,176
Points 111,405
Linny t replied on Wed, Jun 8 2011 2:49 PM

I love it!.. She's an art quilter.   Looks like mixed media.  Do you see the type print on the fabric?

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,176
Points 111,405
Linny t replied on Wed, Jun 8 2011 2:51 PM

Thanks for the link, Gini.  What a treat!

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,551
Points 139,378

Thank for the links Linny and Gini, I have never heard of a journal quilt Gini. With your gift for telling stories and applique, etc, these would be perfect heirlooms. I saw in Dec. 2010 F&P where Gerald Roy had featured a quilt the the lady hand embroidered the Lords Prayer for her son to bless him during the Civil War.  There is so much inspiration out there. Thanks for the comp's on lace.

Claudette,

Thank you for the compliments. Not near as special as the  hand tatting that you and Kat do . I have since been able to link the laces together in emb. program and can do longer segments now instead of haveing to piece the small ones together, and have started filling in the motif with hand embroidery. Tiny little flowers and leaves. I can see now why the Japanese split threads on some of theirs.  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,176
Points 111,405
Linny t replied on Fri, Feb 15 2013 3:05 PM

I found this blog today and it has some really nice CQ Eye Candy in it.  Thought I'd resurrect this thread.  It's called "Plays with Needles".  Excellent CQ.  

Linny T

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,090
Points 41,770
Diane replied on Fri, Feb 15 2013 3:50 PM

Wow Linny---Her work is so beautiful---I joined her newsletter.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,551
Points 139,378
Stephanie replied on Fri, Feb 15 2013 4:06 PM

She is so talented. I was thinking of her "Breakfast at Tiffany's" the other day. She writes very well too. Thanks for the resurrection. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Fri, Feb 15 2013 4:33 PM

Linny t:

I found this blog today and it has some really nice CQ Eye Candy in it.  Thought I'd resurrect this thread.  It's called "Plays with Needles".  Excellent CQ.  

That was really inspirational. Thanks for sending us the link Linny. Gave me more ideas. And, of course, more ways to spend $$$.

northern colorado

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 311
Points 26,665

Somehow, I think I missed this thread when it was originally posted.  Wow!!

Thanks Linny for resurrecting it and thanks for the links.

I have saved a couple to my favorites so that I can revisit.

Stephanie, thanks for the idea of saving to a Word doc and printing.  Great idea.

I have been inclined to sit and do some hand embroidery lately and have been fascinated with trees.  Both sites I saved had wonderful examples of trees.

The quilt blocks I am doing embroidery on are shades of greens and therefore, I thought a tree would be a nice addition.  I free handed a tree the day after Tim was supposed to have his repair surgery while he was in and out of testing.  That silly tree took me all day to do and ended up slighly misshaped.  I had nothing else that day to do and the distraction was good therapy while sitting and waiting.  The doctors, nurses and techs which watched it progress were surprised and it was a good conversation starter.  I love to start conversations.

In retro spect it should have been taller with less bulk to the trunk and more branches under the "leaves".  My leaves ended up being all french knots using all the various scraps of green floss I had with me.  It gave a wonderful affect to the coloring but was challenging because I only got two or three knots from some of the pieces.   I will post a picture when my camera comes out of hiding.  I enjoyed the process and may do another tree on another block.  I liked the seasonal feeling in the one blog where she had multiple trees in different seasons.  This would work well for the quilt I am doing.  Maybe can end up with four trees and cluster the blocks together in the center of the quilt.  Will have to think about that.

Thanks again for bringing this thread back to light and for the inspiration.

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,018
Points 65,045
Robin replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 7:11 AM

Linny,

Wow!  What a great site.   I of course loved the butterflies can wait to try it.   I also saw several elements on her beach that made me rethink my May block.  I'll have to take out some stitches to add those elements but it will be worth it.   Thanks for the inspiration.

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,551
Points 139,378
Stephanie replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 7:13 AM

Darlene,

I'm so excited to hear you have been doing some hand embroidery, and enjoying it. The tree idea sounds wonderful and I can't wait to see pic's.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,176
Points 111,405
Linny t replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 11:29 AM

Darlene, your embroidered tree sounds pretty.  I hope your camera comes out of hiding so we can see it.  I think we all need to stitch publicly more often to keep the art alive in our communities as well as to keep inspiring conversations happening.  When we have casual conversations with people we don't know, it often validates our humanity.   It gives people an opportunity to practice courtesy and share something of themselves that might not be appreciated by people in their inner circle.  Don't you think?       

Linny T

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) Prev12
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use