New Beginnings - A Wall Hanging - Our First CQ Project!

rated by 0 users
This post has 750 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613

Robin:
I especially love all of the butterflies.  They have become a special symbol of promise in my life over the last year so I look for them everywhere. 

Robin and Linny,

I subscribe to F&P Quilting and love to read Gerald Roy's columns. He is a historian collector and has recently posted a series of quilts that I quote " were made to celebrate significant milestones and various life experiences. His segment focuses on quilts, needlework, and other arts made to celebrate the lives of lost loved ones."

Anyway I was dying to share this because this month pgs 14 thru 18 he was focused on the Victorian Age and has several pic's of hand sewn parts of a quit and the meanings of what the areas represent one of which was butterflies and moths. I am going to quote once again. "The moth and the butterfly represent the immortality of the soul as it evolves from a mundane catepillar into a celestrial creature. pretty cool! The next was a beetle which is a symbol of resurrection and eternal life. And lastly the bees. (One of my fav's as I watch them pollinating my jasmine in bloom) Bees symbolize immortality and rebirth, and were regarded as messengers that carried news to the next world. the skep (beehive) was a symbol of hope and an ordered community." 

I hope you have enjoyed this insight to a little bit of history that Gerald Roy has dedicated part of his lifes work to share. I have found his articles and collections fascinating. One of these days, I will send him a thank you note.   

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,227
Points 112,230
Linny t replied on Fri, Sep 2 2011 6:28 PM

Yes, thanks for bumping my block Escapefreesow.  Is it Shirley?  Feel free to join in on the discussions. 

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,227
Points 112,230
Linny t replied on Fri, Sep 2 2011 6:32 PM

That was fascinating, Stephanie.  Thanks for sharing it.  I like the bees part especially. 

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613

Linny t:
See, I love all that jewelry stuff, but I'm not crazy about jewelry.

Linny, sometime I would love to have a chat about this. I too am the same way. If I lived in my grandmothers day, I would have been ok with the jewelry and Jumped for joy at the fur coats,linens. china, or beautiful wood furniture. She had a baby seal fur coat that was the softest thing I have ever felt I my life!!! Even baby bunnies. I could have locked myself in a room with that coat and never been seen again. Of course, now I have plenty of "live" fur babies to share that passion with, and the velvet ears of my Rottie's have long since replaced that desire to collect baby seals, along with a friendly lick or twenty along the way. LOL   

I am glad your Spring Block got bumped back to here. It is truly gorgeous, and so much detail, beautiful fabrics and stitching. You are truly blessed as an artist and I  am in awe of your talent.

Today is the end of the work week and the first of your vacation. Hope it starts off with a Bang of good things and is a great time off for you!!!!!!     

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,227
Points 112,230
Linny t replied on Fri, Sep 2 2011 7:12 PM

Stephanie:
Of course, now I have plenty of "live" fur babies to share that passion with, and the velvet ears of my Rottie's have long since replaced that desire to collect baby seals, along with a friendly lick or twenty along the way. LOL   

What a wonderful thing!  A friendy lick or twenty...that's just how I feel about my doggie.  I have a kitty, too.  Whenever he wants to he finds me bending over to put something on the table or something and he just gets up on my shoulder and nuzzles me like he really, really loves me.  It's just great.  Where would we be without our fur babies? 

Stephanie:
Today is the end of the work week and the first of your vacation. Hope it starts off with a Bang of good things and is a great time off for you!!!!!! 

Thanks for this, Stephanie.  Actually it was a day from you know where.  It's always this way before vacation time though...had to get my boss prepared to do without me for a week...and as per usual, he waited until 3:00 PM to realize that he indeed needed stuff before I started my vacation.  Now I'm home and I"ve had enough bang for the day.  I'm exhausted and hitting the sack early.  I like to get up early when I'm on vacation.  Tomorrow I'll work on the September CQ blog some.  Then when it's light enough, I'll start painting the ceiling.  There is a ton of cutting in to do before rolling.  I know you know what I'm talking about.   When I take a break, I'll go to Home Depot and figure out the wall paint and get it....or maybe I'll just take a nice nap....  :)

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613

Linny t:

That was fascinating, Stephanie.  Thanks for sharing it.  I like the bees part especially. 

You have shared so many of these meanings and thoughts with us, I have found myself really looking into the history of quilts. Everything we do is for a reason, and to be able to look back and feel a part of why the people that made these, is so  incredible to me as well as sharing and carrying on some of the tradition.    

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,114
Points 42,205
Diane replied on Fri, Sep 2 2011 8:45 PM

Linny---this is just beautiful.  Where do you display it?

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,052
Points 65,830
Robin replied on Fri, Sep 2 2011 9:55 PM

Linny,

I hope that you have a great week.  You have certainly earned a break. 

Stephanie,

Thank you for educating me about insect meanings.  I love that article in Fon and Porter's but I haven't read it in a while.  Now you have my curiosity peek again.

Robin

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,227
Points 112,230
Linny t replied on Sat, Sep 3 2011 7:37 AM

Diane:

Linny---this is just beautiful.  Where do you display it?

Thanks, Diane.  It's on my design wall in my sewing room.  I had intended on doing the other 3 seasons, but summer got to me this year.  I'm glad we're into September now.  Just a few more weeks of summer heat and then it should start cooling down.  I always get so much more sewing done when the grass stops growing so fast.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,052
Points 65,830
Robin replied on Mon, Sep 5 2011 8:19 AM

What happen to finding someone to mow your grass?  

Robin

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 75
remareis replied on Mon, Nov 28 2011 5:24 PM

I am a newbie, but would love to give this a try. I just finished my first  mystery quilt. I am ready for a new challenge.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Mon, Nov 28 2011 6:37 PM

Welcome to the group Remareis. isn't the mystery quilt fun. Hope you enjoy the adventure of Crazy Quilting.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,227
Points 112,230
Linny t replied on Mon, Nov 28 2011 8:05 PM

remareis:

I am a newbie, but would love to give this a try. I just finished my first  mystery quilt. I am ready for a new challenge.

Welcome to the group, Ramareis.  CQ is a liberating challenge.  Can't wait to see what you do with it.  There are some tutorial posts in the blog section and in pages there is a list of links for supplies and other CQ sites.  If you need any help, just ask.  There are lots of folks in this group that are happy to answer questions.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,227
Points 112,230
Linny t replied on Mon, Nov 28 2011 8:12 PM

Robin:

What happen to finding someone to mow your grass?  

Robin

I was telling my DD today that with the money she chips in I will be able to afford to have someone mow.  When I told her that she just smiled.  She hears me gripe about it more than you all do in the summer.  It will be nice to just have the gardening part again.  I'll be able to teach Nate about growing things.  He is 4, so he just loves to play in the dirt, lol.  Maybe we can do this while Mommy does her homework sometimes.   

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,052
Points 65,830
Robin replied on Tue, Nov 29 2011 4:38 PM

Isn't it amazing how the Lord provides for our needs.

Robin

Page 50 of 51 (751 items) «Prev4748495051Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use