New Beginnings - A Wall Hanging - Our First CQ Project!

rated by 0 users
This post has 750 Replies | 16 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 870
Nancy replied on Mon, May 23 2011 1:47 PM

Stephanie,

That sounds like a perfect idea!  Then each person could choose what best fit her life at the moment.  Especially since a lot of our lives change so quickly!  Right now, I could do a small project but would love a BOM too. (Maybe not this week though!)  An idea would be an ongoing BOM that you could jump in next month or the next etc?  Just a thought.

Nancy

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 441
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Mon, May 23 2011 4:11 PM

Linny,

What about a project that would also be similar to a small landscape quilt? A tree with grass all around it with maybe some buildings in the background. Nothing too detailed, easy enough for us beginners. 

Toledo, OH

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 35
Points 730
Cathy K replied on Mon, May 23 2011 6:10 PM

Have You missed me?? LOL   I've been otherwise occupied lately.  It sounds to me that others are in the same situation.  I'm working away on my block and hope to have it finished by the deadline.

I think block of the month (or bi-monthly) is a good idea.  Maybe the block for June, finished by August instead of July, with a new  idea for July or August.  BOM could be alternated with small projects.  I started to make my spring block a little smaller.  Maybe the BOM could be 12 inchers or whatever size the maker is comfortable with.  A dozen smaller blocks make a workable size wall hanging.  I still have in my mind to do a seasonal hanging for myself.  After I get my Halloween hanging done (or shoud i say started)  I designed the pattern, now I just have to get it enlarged and get started.  I 'll show it off if I ever get it done.

I take my designs to the copy center and have them blown up to the size I plan to finish.  I did this with my sons business logo and was able to machine applique it to a quilt.  He was surprised and pleased I was able to do this for him. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,101
Points 42,050
Diane replied on Mon, May 23 2011 9:46 PM

I learned how to make a CQ needle case from a Fons and Porter show.  I think it's a nice thing to make and is useful and can be personalized.  I made about 10 of them for gifts one Christmas and everyone loved them.  I put the person's first name initial on each.  It took awhile to make them and embellish them but it was fun for me.

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,925
Linny t replied on Tue, May 24 2011 5:18 AM

Darlene:
God is slowing me down more than I would prefer but I trust that He has good reasons for the slow down and that His plans will be for my best.

His plans are always for our best, although I have to admit, I always have my own version of what my life should be.  He knows it takes me a minute to get it, lol.  Going back to work after surgery is hard, so give yourself lots of breaks, Darlene.  Why do we always feel like we don't get enough accomplished?  I heard someone say once that we have to realize we are human "beings", not human "doings".  We don't just "be" enough because we're always trying to "do".  Even God rested after working all week yet I have problems finding enough time rest on Sunday, feeling like I'm waisting time if I do.

Darlene:
When I am able, I will jump in (if you let me) and contribute what I can.

You just jump in when & where you want.  We love your contributions and enjoy your company, Darlene.

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,925
Linny t replied on Tue, May 24 2011 6:42 AM

Cathy K:
Have You missed me?? LOL  

Yes we have missed you, Cathy .  I know what you mean by saying you've been "otherwise occupied".  The thing with me is that Spring calls me outside to the garden and yard where everything starts growing again (including the weeds).  The older I get, the better the phrase "Condo" sounds to me, lol.  Oh, I would miss having a yard, though.  I don't think of it taking my time, but it just does.  You think there will be more time with daylight savings time, but really there's just more daylight.  More light time to get stuff done.  More light to see what needs to get done.  There I go with the human "doing" thing again.

I was thinking, (my husband always cringed when I started a sentance with this phrase, lol)  if we did a BOM we could sort of work ahead on it.  By this I mean that since it's so labor intensive, maybe we could work on an August theme in June and September in July, etc.  That is, if we're going to utilize the months and all that goes with them as inspiration.  We could even start with Christmas in July, although I have to tell you, I have never been able to get into this concept.  I see it every year, though, with quilting.  I just know that I can't seem to manage to get into Christmas until at least September and then the end of Sept. or even the beginning of October.  The thing is that if we work ahead, we'd be able to have future events driving our work instead of current or past.  Does this make sense? 

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,925
Linny t replied on Tue, May 24 2011 6:51 AM

Stephanie:

Hmmm Linny,

Maybe we "could" put up a couple options in discussions and everyone could choose which one (or more) they would like to do.  

The more I think of this, the more I like it. 

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,925
Linny t replied on Tue, May 24 2011 6:56 AM

Diane:

I learned how to make a CQ needle case from a Fons and Porter show.  I think it's a nice thing to make and is useful and can be personalized.  I made about 10 of them for gifts one Christmas and everyone loved them.  I put the person's first name initial on each.  It took awhile to make them and embellish them but it was fun for me.

Do you have photos of any of them, Diane?  We'd love to see.  I personally want to make a needle case or hussif for myself. 

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,925
Linny t replied on Tue, May 24 2011 7:00 AM

Sharon, I also want to explore CQ with my sewing machine more.  I have done some, but I always end up going over the stitches with hand work.  I want to try other techniques along with the stitches, like different fibers and couching and other free motion work, maybe on a smaller project.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,925
Linny t replied on Tue, May 24 2011 7:04 AM

Sharon:

Linny,

What about a project that would also be similar to a small landscape quilt? A tree with grass all around it with maybe some buildings in the background. Nothing too detailed, easy enough for us beginners. 

This would be fun.  I've seen some CQs done in landscape style and they are beautiful.  Sometimes they are less "crazy", too.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,037
Points 65,575
Robin replied on Tue, May 24 2011 6:02 PM

One thing about the BOM is it would allow us to practice a variety of stitches in a some what organized fashion.  We could also work on all of the special elements that are characteristic to the history of crazy quilts, like fans, spider webs and monograms. 

Smaller projects scare me some what because it requires little tiny work and I am not sure I'm skilled enough for that.

Robin

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Wed, May 25 2011 4:11 AM

Cathy K,

Yes, we missed you. Neat idea about about a seasonal wall hanging. Your block has shrunk to 12 inches and mine has grown to 18.LOL. And that's without a border. But I have a plan for it . I'm going to turn it into a small wall hanging for my my bathroom.   

Your Halloween pattern  sounds intriguing, and I look forward to seeing what you have designed.  Good idea taking the designs to the copy center to have them enlarged.    

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Wed, May 25 2011 4:43 AM

Diane:
I made about 10 of them for gifts one Christmas and everyone loved them.  I put the person's first name initial on each.  It took awhile to make them and embellish them but it was fun for me.

So thoughtful of you to do this. I miss making gifts. When I was younger and had life by the tail I used to make gifts. My MIL always reminds me that she has her set of ornaments on her tree that I made for her now 30 years ago.  Thanks for sharing this.   

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Wed, May 25 2011 5:05 AM

Linny t:
I always end up going over the stitches with hand work.  I want to try other techniques along with the stitches, like different fibers and couching and other free motion work, maybe on a smaller project.

Linny,

I'm finding that I really have to restrain myself from sewing over my machine stitches. They are beautiful, but when I have used the heavier perle cotton and multiple strands of floss that really stand out, my machine stitches seem almost non existant in comparison. It might be the colors I used too though. I haven't tried them in bobbinwork yet. Couching is fun and I love free motion. I still have a little anxiety in free motion with this project as it's one that will be looked at closely. It's very forgiving on a larger project, but I'm not sure I'm experienced enough for a small one.  I'm just impulsive enough to dive in one day.   

I definitely want to do a hussif. I already have the instructions printed and feel that this is not only usefful, but carries on a piece of CQ history as well.    

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563
Stephanie replied on Wed, May 25 2011 5:31 AM

Robin:

One thing about the BOM is it would allow us to practice a variety of stitches in a some what organized fashion.  We could also work on all of the special elements that are characteristic to the history of crazy quilts, like fans, spider webs and monograms. 

Smaller projects scare me some what because it requires little tiny work and I am not sure I'm skilled enough for that.

Robin

So true Robin. i'd like to know how to do a fan, web and do some monograms. I have a very old pillowcase that a very special lady gave me. It had a tear or so around the beautiful  monogram and I could see that underneath the bold area of the letter in the monogram was filled with thread. Almost like a trapunto. It created a raised effect and made the letter itself so outstanding. She said she knew I could appreciate it, and I do. I rarely have the opportunity to see things like this, especially to touch them and see how they were made.      

Page 44 of 51 (751 items) «Prev4243444546Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use