New Beginnings - A Wall Hanging - Our First CQ Project!

rated by 0 users
This post has 750 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,340
Claudette replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 4:55 PM

Thanks, Nana and Linny.  I had gone to that site before, but my connection was sloooooooow that night and I got impatient.  Hadn't had a chance to go back yet.

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,340
Claudette replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 4:57 PM

Mark Harmon is awesome, but I really like Friday nights and Supernatural.  Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki are a great way to start off the weekend!  (Of course I don't get much stitching done because I'm glued to the screen)

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,340
Claudette replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 5:29 PM

Is there anyone besides me that is overwhelmed at this point?  All I've gotten done so far is cut manageable strips from my yardage (4" or so) and I've sifted through my charm packs.  I think it's because I have just so many colors to choose from that it's like looking at a brand-new box of crayons and trying to figure out which one to use first.  I know I need to hurry up and get started.  I'm still deciding between flip-and-sew or antique - I'm really drawn to the antique style but I'm intimidated by all of that basting and pressing all of the seams under and such.  It seems sort of like applique to me, and I've never done that other than by machine, and the machine finished all of the edges for me on that.  I'm looking through motifs and trying to decide which ones I might like to use... maybe that will help me figure out patch sizing.  Maybe i better start by paring down my color palette a bit... Wish me luck, I'll need it!

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 5:44 PM

Claudette

Pick out your favorite fabrics and then your motifs and then the rest will flow much easier.  I actually did mine the antique way and it went together very quickly and very easily.   Now I am ready to start with the embroidery.  Just have fun with the project.  That is what is important.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,340
Claudette replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 5:52 PM

Nana, I have it narrowed down to about 50 of my favorite fabrics!  :)  This is harder than I thought.  I'm sure I'll get there.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,340
Points 113,590
Linny t replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 6:11 PM

Claudette, look in the blogs section.  I wrote 2 blogs; 1 about starting a CQ and a 2nd on how to do the patches.  There are some tips in there.  I let my motifs determine the size of most of the patches and I had too many to fit on this small project.  I just kept thinking, "Well, that'll have to go on the next CQ."  The process is overwhealming at this point because we want to use everything, try everything.  Once you pick it gets easier because next is the fun stuff.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,340
Points 113,590
Linny t replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 6:13 PM

I've read where one CQ artist machine bastes her pieces.  I can't see where that would be easier because of all the pins, but it's an option.

Linny T

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,340
Claudette replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 10:00 PM

Linny, I did read your blogs when you posted them, but tonight I went back for a review.  I have to say, setting my fabrics out in a color wheel really helped.  I also re-read everyone else's posts and that inspired me to pick a "focus" fabric - I'm not sure it's really a focal point, but it had a lot of colors that expressed the feeling I'm trying to get with my block, so I used that as a starting point to weed out some of my fabrics.  Like you, I figure I can just use the the others in a different project - it's not like they will go to waste.  This helped me cut my color selection to about half of what I started with, and it's not so overwhelming now!  I still probably might make a few changes/omissions, but I'm more confident that I can pull this off now.  I have started to pick my motifs as well.  Thanks to everyone for your advice and patience!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 35
Points 730
Cathy K replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 1:07 AM

Stephanie,

I tried to post last night, but kept getting error messages.  I thought I might come back today and find multiple posts, but luckily there were none.  Just FYI...The  Boucle floss is made by EdMar Co.  and the silk floss is a product of YLI Corp.  Both have sites on the web, but are wholesalers.  EdMar has a beautiful embroidery on the home page and YLI has numerous threads to look at.  They list a few retailers that carry their products.

I bought mine at The Shibori Dragon in Lakewood WA.  They have a website that you can order from.  They are a great source for Asian fabrics.  That is where I started crazy quilting.  We meet once a month to work on a new technique or design and discuss new finds.  Check out their site...

http://www.shiboridragon.com/

Be Sew Happy...Cathy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 5:10 AM

Claudette:
Is there anyone besides me that is overwhelmed at this point?

Claudette,

I was right there with you last week. I am a visual person and it was very difficult for me to have a plan. I laid my fabrics out as if they were a CQ overlapping each other and took pics of the ones I liked, but it wasn't until I did a sketch on freezer paper that it really started coming together. Then my mind had a "plan". I was surprised at how a lot of my fabrics knocked themselves off the grid because they just didn't fit into the big picture. So I did an Eleanor Burns and pulled them out and tossed them over my shoulder. 

The basting goes very quickly. Large stitches and basically a tack down as your embellishments and decorative stitches will be the real sew down.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,579
Points 139,858
Stephanie replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 5:13 AM

Cathy,

Thanks for the link. I'll pop over there when I get home from work. 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,340
Claudette replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 6:36 AM

Stephanie:
So I did an Eleanor Burns and pulled them out and tossed them over my shoulder. 

{Grin}  I'm picturing you with a pile o' fabric... "Just get rid of that!" and over your shoulder it goes!  I love Eleanor Burns videos!

I plan to start sketching during lunch today.  Now that I've got a more precise palette, I think it will be much easier.  The only serious problem I'm having now is these fabrics keep telling me they want to be made into a new purse... but I'll make them fall into line somehow! 

• Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 811
Points 12,464
Joan L. replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 9:28 AM

I was planning on making the wall hanging with the group but my fabric choices have already turned into a spring handbag. Oh well, it's still a qc

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,340
Points 113,590
Linny t replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 11:10 AM

Cathy, thanks for the link.  I will enjoy it with my lunch, lol.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,340
Points 113,590
Linny t replied on Wed, Mar 23 2011 11:11 AM

Joan, pleae don't let that stop you from sharing pictures with us.

Linny T

Page 11 of 51 (751 items) «Prev910111213Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use