New Beginnings - A Wall Hanging - Our First CQ Project!

rated by 0 users
This post has 750 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,805
Nana replied on Mon, Mar 21 2011 9:07 PM

Well I have everything pinned and pressed and ready to start basting.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,694
Points 141,583
Stephanie replied on Mon, Mar 21 2011 9:18 PM

Cathy,

Thanks for posting about the spiderweb roses and all of the wonderful different flosses and ribbons. I have never heard of some of these and will google them to check them out. That doggone work sure does get in the way of our fun. Please post a pic of your fabrics for us.

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,694
Points 141,583
Stephanie replied on Mon, Mar 21 2011 9:29 PM

Nana,

Your fabrics are gorgeous, the silks and brocades just sparkle,  and I love your layout and focal embroidery and the motifs you have chosen.It's going to be Beautiful. 

I have a question or two for anyone.

1. In general is the basting usually done on top of the fabrics catching the seam allowance?

2. If we add laces or trims, are they added before basting so that the edges are tucked under, or just laid on top of the fabrics and overlapped by other trims or stitches?    

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,805
Nana replied on Mon, Mar 21 2011 10:30 PM

Stephanie

I baste before I do anything else.  I lay my laces and trims over the seams after they are basted.  It makes it easier for me to keep everything where it belongs.   Also in the pics I posted of my CQ the ribbon roses are examples of spider roses.  These were done with floss "spiders" and then basic "satin" ribbon woven around the "spider".

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 35
Points 730
Cathy K replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 4:10 AM

Just FYI '''

The boucle floss is by Edmar Co out of Idaho and the ribbon floss is made by YLI.  Both seem to be wholesaler.  The links have info on retailers.  I bought mine at The Shibori Dragon in Lakewood, WA.  This is where I started crazy quilting.  We meet once a month and work on a new design or technique. They have a website you can order from...check it out.  More places to spend....time.

http://www.edmar-co.com/     http://www.ylicorp.com/     http://wwwshiboridragon.com/

Be Sew Happy...Cathy

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 35
Points 730
Cathy K replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 4:23 AM

Stephanie,

Just to save some time I checked the sites.   The boucle floss is made by Edmar Co out of Idaho.  The ribbom floss is made by YLi.  Both appear to be wholesalers.  I bought mine at The Shibori Dragon in Lakewood WA.  The have a website you can order from. Check them out.  Oh boy another place to spend...time.

http://www.edmar-co.com/  They have a beautiful embroidery on the home page.

http://www.ylicorp.com/  They have a huge selection of threads to look at.

http://www.shiboridragon.com/  Great source fo Asian fabrics

Be Sew Happy...Cathy

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 524
Points 13,340
Claudette replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 6:32 AM

Nana, where did you find the graphics for lily of the valley?  I have been trying to locate some but haven't had much luck.  They are my favorite flower and when I think Spring, lily of the valley and apple blossoms are what come to mind.  Everything you've done looks great!

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,694
Points 141,583
Stephanie replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 7:11 AM

Nana:
These were done with floss "spiders" and then basic "satin" ribbon woven around the "spider".

Nana,

Thanks for the info on basting. You did a great job on your spider roses, and thanks for posting the info on using the floss and satin ribbon when you did them, 

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,694
Points 141,583
Stephanie replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 7:23 AM

It's so nice to be back on my "normal" schedule. Today I have the house to myself and going to finish my basting. I'm so anxious to start the embroideries and embellishments that I can hardly stand it.LOL. I'll have to set a timer or something to hold myself back and remember that there is housework to be done. Hmmm. Maybe I'll set the timer for the housework and not the CQ. Two hours and that's enough of that. 12 to 2. That's the plan.  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,722
Points 120,130
Linny t replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 8:49 AM

Stephanie:

I have a question or two for anyone.

1. In general is the basting usually done on top of the fabrics catching the seam allowance?

2. If we add laces or trims, are they added before basting so that the edges are tucked under, or just laid on top of the fabrics and overlapped by other trims or stitches?    

1. Yes, the basting is done on top catching the seam allowances.

2. Laces & trims are usually added on top of the seams.  There are exceptions to every rule, though.  Especially in CQ, lol.  It can be done either way, but if the trim is thick it'd be hard to baste through everything.

Linny T

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,722
Points 120,130
Linny t replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 10:51 AM

It's going to be a beauty, Nana.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,805
Nana replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 11:11 AM

Claudette

I found them on the French site that Linny posted.  They have several really nice motifs.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,722
Points 120,130
Linny t replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 11:30 AM

It's Broiderie d'Antan, Claudette. 

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,805
Nana replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 2:15 PM

I have all my basting done.  I will be ready to work on the motifs tonight while I watch TV.   This should be NCIS night.  Got to get my Mark Harmon fix....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,694
Points 141,583
Stephanie replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 4:05 PM

WTG Nana. And a big yes maam to NCIS and Mark Harmon.

Page 10 of 51 (751 items) «Prev89101112Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2016 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.