rated by 0 users
This post has 143 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 153
Points 3,410
Pat replied on Sat, Jan 14 2012 10:26 PM

Thank you, Kim.

It's funny - Mom couldn't sew a stitch, but bought herself a sewing machine a number of years ago. My step-dad passed it on to me knowing that I sew. I'm going to treasure it as my "going to quilt class" machine and think of Mom every time I use it. It's about half the weight of mine, and even better - it's the same brand, so all my feet fit!

I'm actually finishing off a couple of Christmas presents - hopefully they'll be done for Monday so I can mail them :)

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Sun, Jan 15 2012 12:16 PM

Hey Pat!!  Good Sunday morning to you.  I just received this response to sent me today - and it's January 15th!  How's it working with your Mom's sewing machine?  That's very good all your "feet" fit.

I'm away from home - in Victoria, B.C. this weekend and loving every minute of it.  From my hotel window, we look out at Victoria's Inner Harbour and the ferries going back and forth from Victoria to the U.S. and back again.  Even though it's January, yesterday there were three seals playing near the shore in Fisherman's Wharf and they were so adorable.  Today it snowed - which is very unusual for Victoria, but it's still not as cold as Calgary.  Unparalleled beautiy for sure.

Kim

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Sun, Jan 15 2012 5:43 PM

Kim Hanson:
in Victoria, B.C.
Kim I envy you.  It has been a couple years since we were there and we keep saying we are going back.  Not sure what it is like in January but July is wonderful. and I agree about the unparalleled beauty.

Paris, Ontario

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 153
Points 3,410
Pat replied on Mon, Jan 16 2012 11:18 PM

Hopefully you're not getting dumped on with snow, Kim!

Victoria is so beautiful. The inner harbour with all the lights on the water, the boats, the Empress (and there is a Keg just up the street from the inner harbour :) )

Enjoy!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

Hi Pat.   Victoria is an amazing little City.  I did quite a bit exploring while I was there and loved every minute of it.  We did not eat at the Keg, but I did see it.  I can't wait to go back there...the weather was a little unseasonably cold, but compared to the weather in Calgary, it was really, really mild.  Everything was very green and almost spring-like.

So beautiful.

Kim

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 153
Points 3,410
Pat replied on Fri, Jan 20 2012 11:09 PM

That's one thing about Victoria and Vancouver - while the rest of us are still dealing with cold, snow, and more snow, their tulips and daffodils are blooming.

Great pics, Kim! Glad you had a great trip, and also that you made it home safely.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Sat, Jan 21 2012 12:36 PM

Thank you Pat.   You're very sweet.

Kim

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

Marilyn - I wonder if I could ask you a question?  Recently, I've tried to "start a conversation" with another QCA member, but it looks like the note never gets through to them.  Can I try and "start a conversation" with you - and will you let me know if you get my message?

Thanks!

Kim

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930

Here she be guys.  I have posted it in the media section as well.  Do we have a volunteer to deliver it to Ottawa?  Is there someone in Ottawa that would like to do the honors? Effie, I will pick up the backing and batting on tues.  What kind of batting would you like?

Paris, Ontario

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 26
Points 525
Effie replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 7:59 AM

Hi. sorry I didn't check in for a few days and so didn't get your message. Since it's now Wednesday, I'll assume you've picked up the batting and backing. It doesn't matter what kind of batting and I'm sure whatever you picked out for the backing will be great.

Effie

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 46
Points 675

Sorry, but I couldn't figure out how to post without replying.  I loved the Canadian quilt and wondered what happened after this post.  I'm sorry that I joined too late to contribute.  

I live on the beautiful west coast about half-way between Victoria and Nanaimo.  It's gardening season right now so I am torn between being outside in the garden and playing with my new sewing machine.  So many projects both in and outdoors.  

Leslie in sunny Chemainus, BC

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

Hi Lesie.  So nice that you joined us here on QCA!  I live in Calgary and am very excited to be travelling to Victoria early next month.  You are so fortunate to live in such a beautiful place.  Gardening already?  In Calgary, not so much.

I did an Alberta block for the Canadiana quilt - Marilyn has done so much work on the quilt.

Kim in Calgary

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 46
Points 675

Guess where I was born and guess where I moved to Vancouver Island from.  Moved away from Calgary as a young woman but moved back to Calgary and lived there for 15 years before moving here.  I don't miss the weather in Calgary very much-except I wouldn't be worried about the weeds going to seed yet if I still lived there.Victoria is a beautiful city and if you get a chance, visit Glendale Gardens (also called the Horticulture Centre of the Pacific).  It is a west coast garden with west coast plants, not so formal as Butchart Gardens , and the little restaurant there is excellent.   The last time I was there was a 3 weeks ago and they are doing some construction so it wasn't at it's best. Hopefully that is done now.  Spend some time in the Japanese Garden as it is so peaceful and beautiful.  

Bib and Tucker is a great shop that is crammed with batiks.  You won't believe it unless you see it.  She has sale prices each month.  Check out her web site for hours ( not open Fridays) and address.  Otherwise, I don't shop for fabrics in Victoria as we have a wonderful quilting shop in Duncan called Creative Quilting.

I thought the Canadiana quilt was great and loved your block. 

Leslie in Sunny Chemainus, Vancouver Island

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

Well, I'm so NOT surprised to hear that you moved to Vancouver Island from Calgary!  I do love Calgary - born and raised here - but I must say that Vancouver Island seems like a peaceful oasis to this City for sure. 

Thanks so much for the suggestions on where to visit.  Leslie, if you have any more suggestions on what to see, etc., I would LOVE to hear them from you.  We will likely head to Tofino for at least one night and will take your suggestions to heart.

Kim

P.S.  Thanks for your kind words about the Alberta block!  You're sweet.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930

Hi Leslie and Kim.  Thanks for the compliments on the Canada quilt. It is now with Effie being quilted and hopefully it will come back to me soon to have the embelishements and binding done.  We will then look into presenting it in Ottawa. 

I am coming to Edmonton in July, I have not set a date yet.  Is there anything special going on in July that I can work my trip around like a show?  My son is there on the army base and will be working thru the week so I will hang with him on the weekend.  If my husband can get away we will weekend in Edmonton and then spend the week in Victoria, one of our favorite cities in the world, then head back to Edmonton for the weekend before coming home to Ontario.  I still have a driftwood stick that I used as a walking stick from Wiffen Spit, my DH was so embaressed when I asked to take it on the plane, they put it with the canes and baby strollers and there was no problem.  We loved walking in the pits at the Sooke.  I tried to get one of those giant Rhubarbs here to plant in my garden but what they had label as them was not the same even though it did grow 6 feet it was not the leaves that grew that tall. 

Anyway I plan to hit some fabric stores either place.

Paris, Ontario

• Post Points: 50
Page 6 of 10 (144 items) «Prev45678Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use