rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 594
Points 24,155
Liz S. (AKA QCA Liz) Posted: Mon, May 16 2011 1:07 PM

Hi all you quilters up North,

I happened to be browsing the McCall's website and noticed that they have a free pattern posted for a Canadian flag. You can find it here:

Enjoy!
QCA Liz S.

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 125
Joanne replied on Mon, May 16 2011 4:07 PM

I just tried that link but it says it is gone or moved?  Is there another way to see that pattern?

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 55
Points 1,700
Laurie replied on Mon, May 16 2011 4:42 PM

See if this link works.

http://www.mccallsquilting.com/mccallsquilting/articles/America_the_Beautiful___Canadian_Flag_Bonus

If not, I've saved the pdf of it and can add it to the files section.

Laurie

Ottawa, Ontario

Ottawa, ON Canada

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 125
Joanne replied on Mon, May 16 2011 5:41 PM

It worked!  Thanks.

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,900
Marilyn B replied on Tue, May 17 2011 4:28 AM

That is great Liz thank you.  Sorry I have been absent for a bit, summer cold? allergies? anyway am better and hope to get some sewing done this week. 

Laurie did you see our section on the Canadiana Blocks?  We were hoping to get enough blocks to make a quilt to present in Ottawa on Canada Day but so far only have 5 blocks from across the country.  We are holding off so that we can get a few more blocks  from people who want to participate.  Here is what we have so far. We are also planning on doing Quilts of Valor and the McCalls block would be a great one to do.

Paris, Ontario

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 55
Points 1,700
Laurie replied on Tue, May 17 2011 7:54 AM

Hi Marilyn,

Yes I did see the Canadiana Blocks thread.  You ladies are amazing coming up with those designs!  It looks fabulous!

I had given some thought to what I could create to add to it.  London, Ontario is my home town, I only moved up here about 7 years ago.  Unfortunately, I haven't done much applique work, but had envisioned a block with the parliament buildings on it.  Or... considering London is known as the "Forest City" and Ottawa is well known for it's "greenbelt" areas... something with lots of trees and rolling hills would make sense too.  So many ideas.. LOL

Ottawa, ON Canada

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 40
Points 580
Louise replied on Tue, May 17 2011 8:54 AM

Marilyn

So far the quilt looks great, perhaps it can be a wall hanging, or a lap quilt for an injured  vet?  My machine is STILL NOT back from the repair shop and I am going crazy!  Hopefully I will have it this week or next.

Keep up the GREAT work everyone, if my machine comes back in time, I will send off my blocks.

Louise

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,900
Marilyn B replied on Tue, May 17 2011 9:05 AM

Oh dear Louise, you must be going crazy, no sewing.  We shall wait for your block. Canadians are a patient bunch.

Laurie, my son lives in London and I go there often to the farmer's market.  The block does not have to be appliqued, it can be anything you choose to do. 

Paris, Ontario

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 3,675
Laura replied on Sat, May 21 2011 10:54 PM

Oh my gosh Louise! That would be totally frustrating. Are you sure they are doing something on your machine?? I had mine in at a shop for over a month, and when I called the service guys says, ' Oh, I kind of looked at it but I wasn't comfortable trying to figure out what was wrong with it, you should take it to your dealer.' , He said he looked at it over 2 weeks earlier and it had just been sitting there. Well, if you don't call me to tell me you aren't going to do anything with it, how am I supposed to know that???I went a bit ballistic on him, I was so mad. And when I went to pick it up another lady was there bringing in her machine and he says, I'll look at it right now for you. It's a good thing that I didn't hit him on the head with my machine!  I took it to another service guy who fixed it in a day, turns out it had a dust bunny stuck in the feed dogs! I will never go back to the first business again.

Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 164
Points 3,630
Pat replied on Sun, May 22 2011 2:09 AM

How frustrating, for you, Laura! Although from the sounds of it, you would have damaged your machine more if you'd hit him with it. Sounds like his head is rather solid

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 40
Points 580
Louise replied on Sun, May 22 2011 7:56 PM

Laura

It's been yet another 2 weeks, and there has not been a call from the person who is repairing my machine.  I will call them on Tuesday, as I am starting to get a little frustrated now.  I was told 2 weeks, and it is now coming on 5 weeks!

I would much rather have this person work on my machine as opposed to the other person, as I left my other machine in the hands of the other individual, and it ended up costing me more to have it repaired the second time than it did to have them break it more when I brought it to them in the beginning.  You see the story goes like this, I purchased my original sewing machine in the early 90's.  It worked great, then it needed to be serviced so we brought it to person A to have it serviced, and cleaned.  When my husband picked it up, the machine never worked the same ever again and that cost me about $60 to $75 and that was 1997 to 1998.  So  sometime after Y2K, there was this big sale on Singer machines, so I bought a CG550.  A great deal, an all metal machine with all metal outside and a 25 year warranty plus a bunch of different attachments ie; walking foot, ruffle foot and so on with a reasonable price.  Last year I found this person B and brought my first machine in to get it serviced, and well she had to make all kinds of repairs to it, plus service and clean to the tune of close to $100, and it NOW sews, however it is not a machine that is strong enough to do any quilting!  So even though it is taking so long, I know that it will work in the long run!  It is just frustrating that I am at a standstill on ALL my projects!

Sorry for the "rant" Laura, however I just now realized how frustrated I am!

Louise

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 40
Points 580
Louise replied on Sun, May 22 2011 7:59 PM

Marilyn

OK, Thank you for your patience!  I will call the shop on Tuesday, it is now coming on 5 weeks!

Louise

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 3,675
Laura replied on Mon, May 23 2011 12:25 AM

Rant away Louise! I'll be watching to see your post after you talk to the repair people on Tuesday. Hope it's good news for you and it's ready to come home!

Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 40
Points 580
Louise replied on Mon, May 23 2011 1:28 PM

I am sure that I have been WAY too patient for my own good!  I have a quilt that HAS to be ready by June 19th, otherwise I have to pay shipping!  I am going to tell them that!  I will also tell them that I was in the process of making a gift for my sick niece, as well as my friend who has just had a baby boy AND most importantly the blocks for the Quilts of Valour!  They are all cut, however I am STUCK between a needle and a broken machine! lol

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 164
Points 3,630
Pat replied on Mon, May 23 2011 5:03 PM

If I lived closer, I've got my good old Kenmore that I'd loan you. I know what it's like to have your machine at the Dr  :(

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.