Canadiana blocks

rated by 0 users
This post has 57 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,900

Ok guys to get your creative juices flowing I am posting my work in progress.  Because Brantford is known as the telephone city and the first long distance call that Bell made was to Paris where I live, I thought the phone would be the way to go.  I still need to do telephone wires which I will couche(hope I spelled that right) yarn on between the poles and the house and phone and the handset which I have not figured out whether to do one dimentional in fabric or do with buttons as well.  The blue at the bottom is the Grand River and the road and house brick is made of the maple leaves.  Looking at the pic I realized I forgot the chimney on the house, I will add that too.

Effie, would you prefer us to not add the embelishments before you quilt?  I think maybe if I add the buttons on after it will be easier for you.  If that is the case then we take a pictures of how you want your add ons to be placed and we will get them on after.

Paris, Ontario

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 40
Points 580
Louise replied on Sun, Apr 3 2011 5:38 PM

Marilyn

That is a beautiful block!  My husband said that he found it to be quite elaborate.  I will start to work on my blocks tomorrow.  Did you want me to make 2 different blocks, or 2 blocks the same?  2 blocks with potatoes or 1 block with a potato or 2 and the other with the Confederation Bridge?  Just to use as examples.

Louise

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,900

Thanks Louise.  Do whatever you want to do, it is totally up to you.  I am sure they will be beautiful.  Thank you for offering to do two blocks, Hopefully we can end up with at least 9 blocks so we can do a 3x3 hanging.  If I get a chance I will try to come up with an idea for a second block as well.

Paris, Ontario

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 40
Points 580
Louise replied on Sun, Apr 3 2011 7:44 PM

Marilyn

I would love to have a photo of the completed quilts as well as the wall hanging when they are completed!  They will be so beautiful! 

Louise

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 26
Points 525
Effie replied on Tue, Apr 5 2011 5:58 AM

I love your block Marilyn. Wish I could find the time to make one from Niagara but it's probably not going to happen.

It would be best if the embellishments aren't added until after the quilting is done.

Have a great day everyone.

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,900
Marilyn B replied on Tue, Apr 5 2011 12:33 PM

Louise:

Marilyn

I would love to have a photo of the completed quilts as well as the wall hanging when they are completed!  They will be so beautiful! 

Louise

Absolutely, they will be posted

Paris, Ontario

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,900

How are you guys doing with your blocks?  How many do we think we will have before the middle of May?  Just trying to see if we will be able to do Canada Day this year or if we need to work on it and leave the delivery until next year.  We only have about 4 weeks left to give the blocks time to get to me.

Paris, Ontario

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 40
Points 580
Louise replied on Sun, Apr 10 2011 10:46 AM

Hello fellow quilters

I will definitely have my 2 blocks done and shipped out on time.  As I said before, it is my honor to have this done for an individual who was injured while serving for Canada.

Louise

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 3,675
Laura replied on Sun, Apr 10 2011 11:16 PM

Ok, count me in. I am wondering are there any Prairie girls out there that are doing a block? I see there are some BC gals here, so I can do a block for the Prairies. I've already got some ideas.

Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,900
Marilyn B replied on Mon, Apr 11 2011 10:22 AM

That is wonderful Laura, welcome aboard.  Louise is doing 2 blocks, I have one laid out and am thinking of another and Effie has said she will quilt it for us.  I think I am missing a couple of people, sorry bout that.  Laura, do whatever turns your crank, even if there are other Prairie girls, the more the merrier.

Paris, Ontario

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 3,675
Laura replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 11:11 PM

I've been playing with my blocks and I have a question. Are we going to post pictures of them and then send them to you or just send them to you and you will post a picture of the finished quilt?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,900
Marilyn B replied on Fri, Apr 15 2011 5:17 AM

LauraBC:

I've been playing with my blocks and I have a question. Are we going to post pictures of them and then send them to you or just send them to you and you will post a picture of the finished quilt?

Laura definitely post pictures so we can cheer you on.  I will post the finished work.  Just remember that if you are adding embelishments like mine will have buttons, mark the placements and we will add them after Effie has quilted it.  If it is small like I am using string for the phone lines, that can be added prior but it is easier for the quilting if big stuff is added at the end.  Can't wait to see your pic.  I have sewn all but the telephone poles and then went oh dear for got to leave openings for them so that is what I am working on today.  Here is the repost of what my block will look like.  I want to add some birds to sky but may try to do that with embroidery and maybe some flowers in the garden of the house.  My design drawing had trees and all kiinds of stuff but pencil lines are easy, fabric is not so much. LOL.

Paris, Ontario

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 3,675
Laura replied on Sat, Apr 16 2011 11:16 PM

Well, I have one block almost done today, and one that I thought was finished, but now it is in pieces again on my cutting table, it just wasn't what I had envisioned, so tomorrow I will get back to it.  I think I will have 3 blocks to send you sometime this week.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,900
Marilyn B replied on Sun, Apr 17 2011 7:51 AM

That is fantastic Laura.  I know what you mean by not quite what you envisioned.  I had to make some of my pieces bigger just to be able to sew them which threw off some of my design but oh well.  I still have to cut out the phone receiver and put on the wires but am not sure I will use these buttons.  I may see if I can find better silver for the bells.  I also want to do up a couple of just maple leaf squares.  my phone almost looks like a smiey face in the pic. LOL.

Paris, Ontario

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 3,675
Laura replied on Sun, Apr 17 2011 11:48 PM

So I'm ready to send my blocks. How do I get your address?

Page 2 of 4 (58 items) Prev1234Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.