Welcome

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B Posted: Fri, Feb 7 2014 6:20 PM

Wow it is great to see so many new people.  I am sorry I have been absent for most of the last month but I think things have calmed down.  Since just before Christmas my mother-in-law passed away, my son returned from Afghanistan and my daughter gave me my first grandchild, a boy.  Needless to say I have been kept hopping.

One of the things we discussed doing this year was doing up blocks for Quilts of Valour.  Effie has graciously offer to quilt it up for us.  Northcott fabric had sponsored Quilts of Valour and produced a line of fabric specifically for this purpose called the "OH CANADA" collection. Here is a link to see the fabric and the challenge. http://www.quiltsofvalour.ca/ 

We thought if we did at least 1 block with the Northcott fabric and perhaps if you want to do 1 block of your choice, or more if you choose, then we can put them together and send them off.  Sometimes we want to participate in a project like Quilts of Valour but don't have the time to do a full quilt so this can be your opportunity. I will post some block ideas and dimensions that QofV prefer in the next couple of weeks.

If there is anything else you would like to see us, the Canadian group, do such as a fabric swap, please let me know and I would be happy to arrange it.

Paris, Ontario

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 46
Points 675

Sorry to hear about the passing of your mother-in-law, but the rest of your news is great.  A first grand baby.  That is wonderful.  And you son home safely from Afghanistan must help you to sleep peacefully these nights.   

I was in Ontario for Christmas and New Years and the cold snowy weather we experienced reminded us why we moved here.  I came  home to a deadline for 3 lap quilts for our Guild quilt bee.  One top was pieced and sandwiched-another top was pieced and the third was partly pieced.  Managed to get them done and quilted before the deadline.  9 members of our local quilting group made 53 lap quilts for the bee.  Then I had signed up for a two session One Block Wonder workshop with the homework to finish the hexagons and cubes for the second session and that is next Sunday.  My husband shared his cold with me and it is a doozie.  Just say, that we each lost 4 days to being sick (fortunately not the same 4 days) so now I am frantically working on the cubes.  I'm glad I bought a 12 inch repeat fabric or I would have twice as many blocks to do.  

Anyway, I just remembered that I had planned to be involved in the QOV that we are making in this group so here I am checking out where we are at. with the project  

Can you give me a little more information about the blocks, please?  Is there a specific size of block we need to make? Is is a formal block pattern, or are we designing our own?    And colours other than coordinating with the "OH CANADA"  fabrics.  

Bye for now from warm and green Vancouver Island.  Leslie

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Fri, Feb 21 2014 5:47 AM

Oh Leslie I want so much to be with you right now lol.  We have about 2 feet of snow and last night had a 2 hour thunderstorm so things are melting with no where to go and it is supposed to freeze up again tomorrow, can we say skating rink. 

We really have not done anything with the plans yet.  I did post a link to the Canadian QoV site with the fabric.  We have several choices and whichever the majority wants to do is what we can do.

1. On the site is sample blocks so we can each do one block of your choice (don't care if we have more than one the same)  from the QoV site with the Northcott fabric and I will put them together for 1 quilt top.

2. We can each do one block of any fabric and I will put them together for 1 quilt top.

or

3. We can do #1 plus #2 and I will again put them together and we will have 2 quilt tops.

The Maple Leaf block they have posted finishes 8 inches and the finished size of quilt will be minimum 50x70 and maximum of 72x96 so we have room to play.

Here is the website again with lots of pics and info. http://www.quiltsofvalour.ca/

Paris, Ontario

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 46
Points 675

Well Marilyn, didn't we get about 20 inches of snow on Sunday, Monday.  Most things were cancelled and we were snowed in for a day.  They really don't know how to plow the streets here.  I think it's because they don't do it often enough  We still have about 10 inches, and I am waiting for the rain that has been forecasted to actually materialize.  Then the snow will disappear in a day.  It's 7:30 pm and the temperature outside our door is 4 degrees.  Probably won't freeze overnight.  Just hope that the robins who came back in January made out OK.  We put out suet cakes, but the starlings were piggies and scared the other birds away.  They also ate it up in part of a day.  I keep telling my husband that they need to eat too, but they are mean to the other birds so they may get shoed away when we see them.

Thanks for posting the site again and I will have another look and then maybe have an inkling of what I would like to do.  I saw the fabric in a LQS so should buy some.  

Hope your winter becomes mild  very soon.  

Leslie

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930

Our winter is either on the way out or just joshing with us.  It was about 3 yesterday and I even popped the sun roof on my car on the way home from work.  We are supposed to hit 4 with rain by tuesday but then back into the minus double digits by the end of the week.  I have this week off for March break so hope to get organized and post a couple of block patterns.  I know people have had problems getting on to the site during the turn over as I have and all our last discussions were lost it appears but hopefully we get back to having a viable group here.  Perhaps we should start our own Canadian quilt club site lol.  If you know of one can you post it.

Paris, Ontario

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Mon, Apr 21 2014 3:26 AM

Well guys spring has sprung.  I have not heard much in the way of chatter on this group and wonder if we should keep it going.  I spent most of March not well and have not spent any time at my sewing machine but am on the mend and hope for a rainy weekend so that I stay indoors and sew LOL. 

How are you guys doing?  What are you guys doing?  and What would you guys like to do?

I am still open for doing a QoV but I did not hear from many people.  How would you guys like to do a fabric swap?

Paris, Ontario

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 46
Points 675

Hello.  I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been well, Marilyn.  Hope that is in the past now.  

It's early in the morning here on Vancouver Island so I will have to think about a fabric swap.  Right now, I'm not looking for more fabric as I can hardly house what I have right now, so am not really drawn to that idea yet.  I may warm to it as I wake up.  I think that maybe our members are not checking this site that often.  I know that I haven't been very faithful myself.  

I like the idea of a doing a QofV but I was a military wife and have a son-in-law who is a long serving military pilot.  

Right now, I am trying to finish some of my UFO's.    I recently attended two workshops and have one of the quilts ready to sandwich when I find some backing and the other just needs to have the border completed (but it's not a straight forward border and will require some imagination to work it out).  I think I will have that one quilted as it is a one block wonder and I'm not a good enough at FMQing to do it justice.  Then, I started another quilt while I was waiting for the workshops and the blocks are about 3/4's completed.  And of course there are a few more that need to be completed before Christmas.  We have had gardening weather for 6 weeks or more and that gets in the way of quilting time.  

It's truly beautiful here right now.  The daff's are pretty well finished, but the tulips are bright and beautiful.  Some of the rhododendron's are in full bloom and the azaelea's are close behind them.  The flowering trees have lost the flower pedals, but are leafing out.  I see buds on the clematis so they will be flowering soon.  After spending winter time in the Ottawa area, we decided that we are very lucky to live in this area.  

I haven't been much help in deciding on a project.  Hope more members respond.  

Leslie 

• Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use