rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B Posted: Thu, Jun 13 2013 8:38 AM

Hi all.

Well it has been an exciting year so far for my family.  My DH retired, well he is now working just 4 hours a week.  My job will be changing in September as I go from the secondary level to the elementary school libraryies and my DD just found out she is going to have a baby, they were a bit surprised but we are all thrilled. DH has started refinishing a rocking horse and of course I am looking at baby patterns. 

One of the biggest things happening though is that my son will be deployed in a couple of weeks to Kabul.  Needless to say when I was reading my summer issue of Quilter's Connection and they had an article on Quilts of Valour I did get a little teary.   The thing I wanted to mention about the article is that I did not realize that Northcott Fabrics is a Canadian company and the head office is in my sister's backyard about 2 hours away from me.  I have donated to quilts and quilt top and fabric to this wonderful cause but I want to mention that Northcott has come up with a Canadian themed fabric line and are donating a portion of the sales from their Stonehnge line to QoV. 

Just as we did with our Canadian Quilt, a quilter named Bill Bartlett here in Ontario, I am going to try to contact him, is trying to do a quilt with blocks made from across Canada.  Norhtcott and some quilt shops are putting together fat quarter packaging for the project.  I know we have been quiet lately as a group but am wondering if you guys would like to take part in this project, do one of our own, have me lead you in one of the patterns donated to QoV, have someone else design a QoV for us to do, any or all of the above or something else you have been pondering doing and now you have an excuse to do it?

Paris, Ontario

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 26
Points 525
Effie replied on Mon, Jun 24 2013 7:17 PM

Hi Marilyn,

congratulations on the new grandbaby. I am also looking forward to a new grandchild in October. I have heard about the QoV but haven't really looked into them. Guess I should do some research. Hopefully we can get together sometime this summer and discuss further. Of course I'd love to hear about any other ideas from group members.

Effie

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 482
Points 9,060
Darlene replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 1:53 PM

Congratulations both of you on new grandbabies.I  am interested in following along in what you decide.

Darlene(2manyhorses)

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 90

I have been considering a QoV lately too, my brother is in his second term with the Navy and I've been searching for a pattern patriotic enough for him. So far, I've found a scrappy maple leaf from Island Batiks - I think that's the one for him to be done in a very scrappy palate. Have you seen the pattern that quiltsbyjen.ca designed entirely from the Northcott QoV fabric line? I've got the pattern and some fabric, but haven't done anything with it yet. I just found out Northcott has released a flannel version of the fabric this fall as well....I'm thinking that might be a great backing!  I am extremely interested in doing a quilt along or bee. Have you abondoned this idea?

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930

lovinhome:

I have been considering a QoV lately too, my brother is in his second term with the Navy and I've been searching for a pattern patriotic enough for him. So far, I've found a scrappy maple leaf from Island Batiks - I think that's the one for him to be done in a very scrappy palate. Have you seen the pattern that quiltsbyjen.ca designed entirely from the Northcott QoV fabric line? I've got the pattern and some fabric, but haven't done anything with it yet. I just found out Northcott has released a flannel version of the fabric this fall as well....I'm thinking that might be a great backing!  I am extremely interested in doing a quilt along or bee. Have you abondoned this idea?

I have not abandoned the idea but have had only one other person show any interest.  If you guys still want to do it we can for sure.  We can do it as a quilt along or bee or however you gals want.  I am open to just about anything.

Paris, Ontario

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 153
Points 3,410
Pat replied on Mon, Nov 11 2013 9:46 PM

Hi, Everyone. What better day to think about Quilts of Valour than today - November 11?

Yes, Marilyn, count me in for some blocks. This is something that I really believe in and endorse.

I do know that Quilts of Valour was trying to get blocks from across Canada using the "Oh Canada" fabric line from Northcott last year. There were some really cool blocks made from across Canada.

They are on Facebook - "Quilts of Valour - Canada".

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 90
lovinhome replied on Tue, Nov 12 2013 5:44 AM

Shall we join the effort at QoV Canada? It would mean only a block or two each, not committing to a whole quilt...Here's a bit from the QoV Canada site:

For the HUGS BLOCK PROJECT, blocks must be 8 ½” UNfinished; UNWASHED; any pattern, any design. ONLY the OH CANADA line of fabric from NORTHCOTT must be used for the block. 

Save your other fabrics for another great Quilt of Valor! 

Blocks will be gathered and grouped for a quilt top. Quilters, quilting bees, guilds and anyone interested in completing a quilt is asked to register to complete a quilt and we will forward a set of blocks once we have a set from across the nation. You will be expected to complete the quilt, add borders if you wish, bind and label, include making a presentation case, or pillow case to go with the quilt.  Please do not make the quilt from all the blocks from your guild for this project.  We want to make quilted hugs from across the nation! (Download brochure)

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Tue, Nov 12 2013 6:21 AM

However you guys want to do it is fine by me. 

Paris, Ontario

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 26
Points 525
Effie replied on Wed, Nov 13 2013 7:28 PM

Hi Marilyn and everyone else,

It's definitely time I checked in on this group again. I haven't been very active this year in this club as it's been quite the year for our family. I just wanted to let you know that If you decide to go ahead with a QoV quilt, I'd be happy to quilt it for the group on my longarm.

Effie

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Sun, Nov 17 2013 2:18 PM

Thank you Effie.  Hope all is well.  I know what you mean, we have been busy as well.  I would love to do a QoV as Garret is due home next month from Kabul and it is a project dear to me.

Paris, Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Sun, Nov 17 2013 2:26 PM

lovinhome:

Shall we join the effort at QoV Canada? It would mean only a block or two each, not committing to a whole quilt...Here's a bit from the QoV Canada site:

For the HUGS BLOCK PROJECT, blocks must be 8 ½” UNfinished; UNWASHED; any pattern, any design. ONLY the OH CANADA line of fabric from NORTHCOTT must be used for the block. 

Save your other fabrics for another great Quilt of Valor! 

Blocks will be gathered and grouped for a quilt top. Quilters, quilting bees, guilds and anyone interested in completing a quilt is asked to register to complete a quilt and we will forward a set of blocks once we have a set from across the nation. You will be expected to complete the quilt, add borders if you wish, bind and label, include making a presentation case, or pillow case to go with the quilt.  Please do not make the quilt from all the blocks from your guild for this project.  We want to make quilted hugs from across the nation! (Download brochure)

Ok, how about if we do a minimum 2 blocks, half for this project and half for one that we can put together and Effie can quilt?  So at least one from the Northcott line, which I love by the way, and at least one that can be anything.

Paris, Ontario

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 90
lovinhome replied on Sat, Nov 23 2013 4:34 PM

I like thatpplan. What kind of timeline do you think? I for one have several gifts to finixh yet...

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Sat, Nov 23 2013 6:22 PM

I think we should definitely wait till after the holidays.  Let's see how many people we can get to participate first and then we can decide on a time line.  So if you are talking to anyone on the site let them know we hope to do this and to come here and let me know.  Perhaps we will give it till just after New Year for people to join and go from there.

Paris, Ontario

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 153
Points 3,410
Pat replied on Sun, Dec 1 2013 9:57 AM

Count me in, Marilyn

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 46
Points 675

i haven't been checking out this group for some time but am glad I checked in today.  

Please count me in as well.  We will be away over the holidays and I'm not sure I will take my computer, but will check back after the middle of January to see what the plan is.  

Leslie on Vancouver Island

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use