Metallic Threads

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 67
Points 1,190
Quilter 222 Posted: Tue, Oct 16 2012 12:13 AM

I'm not sure how to do a search on a topic within the Canadian Group discussion.  So I'll start fresh.

Just doing a small Christmas wall hanging for a gift and using a metallic thread to do some free motion quilting.

The Sulky metallic thread keeps breaking. Metallic speciality needles too.  I've adjusted (lowered my upper tension).  Tried a lightweight bobbin thread but the bobbin color comes through to the upper fabrics.  So I used the metallic in the bobbin also.

I'm stitching a a lower regular speed as suggested on EHow web page.  Any  other recommendations other than throw all my metallic threads out?

ps.  I have a Husqvarna Topaz 30 (not sure if the machine is the problem).

Thanks

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,137
Points 40,875
Marilyn B replied on Tue, Oct 16 2012 5:47 AM

Quilter 222:

The Sulky metallic thread keeps breaking. Metallic speciality needles too.  I've adjusted (lowered my upper tension).  Tried a lightweight bobbin thread but the bobbin color comes through to the upper fabrics.  So I used the metallic in the bobbin also.

I'm stitching a a lower regular speed as suggested on EHow web page.  Any  other recommendations other than throw all my metallic threads out?

Hi.  I have had trouble with metallic thread as well.  The only suggestions I have is to use an embroidery needle which has a bigger eye and to make sure you have it spooling off in the right direction.  Basically that means if the thread is wound on the spool straight you need to have the spool standing up vertical and if it is wound on the spool in a cross fashion, not sure how to describe it but it should be horizontal to unspool correctly.  Hope that makes sense, if not let me know and I will try to describe it better.  Either way I have always found that it breaks so keep an eye on it and when it starts to gather at the needle I just cut it and rethread and continue from there.  Hopefully someone else has better ideas and we can both learn.

Paris, Ontario

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 26
Points 525
Effie replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 12:36 AM

have you tried Superior Threads metallics? You may have much better luck with them. Also, using the Superior Bottom Line thread in the bobbin should help. There's information and videos on the Superior Threads website which are very helpful.

Effie

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 655

I too found that metallic threads would break, but as Effie said, I found that the Superior Metallics with Superior Bottomline seemed to work the best on my machine.   I noticed that the thread would get tight, look stretched and then break.  Sometimes, it twisted so much that it would not pull from the upright spool holder.  Sometimes, it just seemed to catch in the tension disks and pull tight.  Anyway, it seemed to help if I kept an eye on the twisting and tried to minimize it.  Also found that having the net wrap around the spool helped a bit and as Marilyn said, having the spool upright or on it's side depending on how it is wound on the cone also helps.  It still breaks and usually when in the middle of a series of decorative stitches-lol.  

Leslie on Vancouver Island

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use