canadian quilt conference in Halifax,may 2012

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 105
linda Posted: Wed, Oct 19 2011 5:55 AM

Is anyone going to the Canadian quilt conference in Halifax, May 2012?  I have signed up for some workshops and will be there the full week. Linda

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 5:59 AM

Wish I could be there but have to work and going to Edmonton this summer to see my son.  I can only afford one trip.  I am going to the Craft and Needlework show in Toronto this weekend with my neice who is a knitter.  They have something for both of us there.

Have fun and tell us all about the great stuff you did there.

Paris, Ontario

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 160
Points 3,535
Pat replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 12:08 PM

I wish I could - but with living in BC and that being the start of the "insane" time for work for me...Of course, if I win big on Loto Max or 6/49 it would definitely be a must! :)

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 160
Points 3,535
Pat replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 12:15 PM

Sorry for the large space on the previous post - I have someone who is helping me at the computer this morning - the newest member of the family. She loves laying on the keyboard, and when I'm sewing, sitting or laying right on the quilt!I will be entering in the "Trend-Tex" Challenge though - the fabrics look like fun, and I love the theme :)

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 27
Points 475

Hi Pat...love your helper...and as far as my comments about hating creative people...actually I am just green with envy....I wish I had the ability to create patterns on my own.....sometimes I even have trouble following a pattern...but enjoy the fabric...playing....would love to be able to go to Halifax but without the help of a lottery win it is out of the question....Marilyn....let us know what is new at the Creative Show....look for Country Concessions booth...the girls are working reallly hard to make it a very good display...and they are GREAT girls..(actually women) 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Thu, Oct 20 2011 7:17 AM

Pat:
"Trend-Tex" Challenge 
Pat Love your helper.  What is the Trend-Tex Challenge?

Paris, Ontario

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 160
Points 3,535
Pat replied on Thu, Oct 20 2011 10:47 AM

Hi, Marilyn - the Trend-Tex Challenge is a subdivision of the Canadain Quilters Association annual show. Every year, Trend-Tex fabrics supplies 5 different fabrics to the Canadian Quilters Association  ( http://www.canadianquilter.com) from which a wall quilt is to be made to a specific theme. You purchase the 5 fat quarters from CQA, and then make and submit the wall quilt. The quilt becomes the property of CQA, and is judged with all the other Trend-Tex quilts. The winning quilt is presented to Trend-Tex fabrics, with the remaining quilts being auctioned off.

I enjoy trying it because it makes me think, and gets me out of my normal "box", especially as the fabrics may be ones that I wouldn't normally buy as they are out of my comfort zone for colour/design etc.

I haven't been brave enough to enter anything in the National Juried Show for Quilt Canada - but one of these days...

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Thu, Oct 20 2011 5:38 PM

Wow Pat, I checked out the site and some of those Trend-Tex quilts are fantastic.  I wish I had that much talent.  I am going to keep an eye on the youth contest and pass that along to the home ec teacher.

Paris, Ontario

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 3,675
Laura replied on Sun, Oct 23 2011 12:18 AM

I'd love to go to Halifax, my sister lives outside Lunenburg, but I'm with Pat, unless I win 649 I ain't going nowhere fast! I'll have to ask her if she's going, I'm sure she will, she's a member of 2 quilt guilds in NS.

Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,494
Points 48,185
Angele replied on Mon, Nov 7 2011 9:28 PM

I would love to go but School is still on, so I still need to work... I will be going to New Brunswick though in July or August to visit my parents.  If there was something like that during that time I would definitely go.  Maybe there would be something closer as in Winnipeg or Thunder Bay?? Who knows, I need to look more closely for those.

Angèle  from NWO

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use