Canadiana Blocks

rated by 0 users
This post has 143 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 10:58 AM

BTW ladies - speaking of high temperatures, it has been over 30 degrees for several days now in Calgary and surrouding areas.  The Calgary Stampede is on right now - 100 year anniversary, in fact.  On Sunday, there were 185,000.00 people on the Stampede grounds - if you can just picture it!  People, shoulder to shoulder, in 30 degree heat!  Yikes.

Kim

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 160
Points 3,535
Pat replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 11:31 PM

Oh, Marilyn - how awful for your DD!! However, speaking from experience - WAY better to find out now, rather than down the road. Hopefully when he comes crawling back she tells him to keep moving!! Hard on you and your husband though to have the house with another person in it.

Hopefully your job news was good news!!

Health issues are Not fun, especially when they cut into the quilting time. It took me about 3 months to be able to sew after my mastectomy last year. However, the good news is that so far - clean bill of health.

Enjoy your trip to Alberta!! It will be a great holiday for both you and your DH!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 160
Points 3,535
Pat replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 11:35 PM

Kim - all I can say is UGH!!! Same temps here 34 to 36 all weekend, and it's looking like it's going to stay that way for a while.  But 185,000 people in one small area - YIKES!! Bad enough at our Interior Provincial Exhibition time. 

My Dad and I drove out to a number of Calgary Stampedes when I was younger - great fun.

However, I guess you could say it's a good thing it's not snowing for the Stampede :)

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Wed, Jul 11 2012 3:52 AM

Pat glad you have a clean bill of health.

Kim it had been over 30 with humidex of over 40 for a week but the last couple of days have cooled off to 27 with night temps dropping to 14!!! was that our summer? I certainly hope not I love the heat.  I hope we get some rain soon it has been so long my garden looks like a desert and my rain barrels are almost empty.

Lots of good news this end, my scopes for my Ulcerative Colitis came back clear so am good for another year, back and neck healing nicely and am back to sewing and gardening but taking it very easy as I want to be 100% for our trip to Alberta. 

My son got the job in Detroit.  He will probably be gone when we come back from out west but at least it is just a 3-1/2 hour drive so we can go visit him.  He was applying to places in England and Australia as well. So while we have almost a full house again it is just for a couple more weeks then we will be down to one at home and she is working but looking for a better job now that she is not stuck living in St. Catharines and she is applying to places in Alberta because the job market there for Environmental Technicians is better than it is here so may end up with two out that way soon.  She is doing very well and would NOT under any circumstances take the ex back, she is not built that way thank goodness.  Plus it helps that there are always boys in the wings waiting for some reason so has been asked out on dates already, not that she has gone but she knows there are other fish.

Just got word my job is status quo for September as the board decided not to decide until October so should be able to get one more semester at the school I have been at for the last 6 years.

I am tired just reading what I wrote about what has been going on here LOL thank goodness it is 2 weeks to vacation.

Paris, Ontario

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 160
Points 3,535
Pat replied on Tue, Jul 17 2012 7:54 PM

Awesome news, Marilyn, on your clear scopes!! Also glad to hear that your back and neck are healing!

What a relief about the job situation for you - that can be nervewracking.

Enjoy your trip out west - every place is beautiful in its own way.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 26
Points 525
Effie replied on Fri, Jul 20 2012 6:03 AM

the quilting is finally done!!!!!

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Fri, Jul 20 2012 8:03 AM

Effie:

the quilting is finally done!!!!!

Effie it is wonderful!  We leave thursday for Edmonton but I will pick it up soon after we get back on August 5th.  I will add the rest of the embelishments like the flag for the Mounty.  Thank you so much for doing the quilting.

Paris, Ontario

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 46
Points 675

As a good friend would say "Awesome".   Thank you to all the designers, piecers, and Effie for such a beautiful quilt.  I wish I had found this group sooner so I could have been part of this project.  

My husband and I are heading to Mayne Island this weekend for their every four yearly out door quilt show and would you believe that it is raining after 3 weeks of heat and sunshine.  I'm not sure if he will accompany me to the show as he's not very interested in other quilter's projects.  He oohs and awes over mine of course.  We are treating me to a weekend away for my birthday and that is why I was able to get in a quilting day.  lol

Leslie on Vancouver Island

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

Effie - So fabulous!  Great, great job you have done.  I really appreciate all your hard work and all of Marilyn's hard work.

Kim

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 243
Points 3,760
Pat replied on Sat, Jul 21 2012 11:19 AM

Beautiful, wonderful job

Pat   From Canada

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 12:34 PM

Hi ladies!  Good morning to you all.  Perhaps when you get the opportunity - read my new blog post; it's all about Waterton National Park.  www.KimHansonQuilts.com/blog.  Leave me a comment - I'd love to hear from all of you.

Kim

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 7:00 AM

Hi all.  I am back but slow to get moving.  I did move my sewing room around and found a couple of UFOs I forgot I had lol.  I still want to paint but want to get a few things out of the way first so they don't accidentally get painted. 

We did not get far on our out west trip because DHs knees were pretty bad.  We did get to the Taste of Edmonton which was really good food, lots of military museums, forts etc. and we went to the farmer's market and I met a very nice quilter that directed me to a very nice fabric store much to my DH and DS chagrin.  Calgary was also great, walked the downtown strip and visited military museums and Heritage Park.  We got out to Canmore and of course I bought more fabric.  My poor DH, he put most of it in his carry on so that if they lost the luggage I would still have my fabric, I took the rest in my carry-on but I my bag was smaller.

I want to thank Effie for the fabulous job of quilting and because the pictures do not do it justice I wanted to know if any of you wanted me to send it out so you could see it in person, perhaps we could each just send it on to the next on the list so we could all see the final product.  It would obviously have to go insured but I am willing to send it to anyone that would like (when the rest is done).  We also need a volunteer in Ottawa to do the presentation, are there any volunteers?

Paris, Ontario

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 46
Points 675

I am having difficulty figuring out how this group works on the computer.  I am replying to your note that accompanied the friend request but don't know how to do it directly to you.    

I thank you for the offer to do the binding.  I certainly don't mind doing the binding, but think the cost of mailing to Vancouver Island from Ontario might outweigh the value of having me do it.   If you choose to send it to me, I am a volunteer.  

I am not sure that I would be the right person to do the label though because of not being very knowledgeable about the origin and process of this wonderful project and so am declining that suggestion.  

Glad to hear that you were able to visit a few quilt shops in Alberta.  Sound like you were busy.  My DH volunteered as the web master for the Naval Museum in Calgary before we moved here in 2004.  

Leslie on Vancouver Island

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 5:20 PM

canuckquilter71:
I thank you for the offer to do the binding.  I certainly don't mind doing the binding, but think the cost of mailing to Vancouver Island from Ontario might outweigh the value of having me do it.   If you choose to send it to me, I am a volunteer.  

Leslie, I certainly don't mind sending the quilt if you want to be part of it and don't mind sending it on when you are done.  You should be able to just reply to the message but here is fine. 

The history of the quilt is that we as a group of Canadians wanted to do something just for our group.  It was suggested that we all do a block that defines our area of Canada and I put them together and Effie quilted it.  We are hoping to present it to someone in Ottawa on July 1st.

Paris, Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Wed, Sep 12 2012 7:04 PM

Hi all.  I am sorry to be so slow with finishing the binding, life is getting in the way.  I shall get it done, hopefully by the end of the month.  I am really not very good at doing labels so if I could get someone to volunteer to do up the label for this quilt I can put it on.  Thanks

Paris, Ontario

Page 9 of 10 (144 items) «Prev678910Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use