Canadiana Blocks

rated by 0 users
This post has 143 Replies | 12 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 46
Points 675

Hi Pat.  September is a beautiful time of year to be in the Cowichan Valley.  Would love to give you some hints of what is happening near here and of course where the quilt shops are.  If you check out Seasons by the Sea quilt show (on next weekend) web site, you will find on the left hand side of the page a listing of the vendors at their show.  It is a comprehensive listing of the Duncan to north Island quilting shops.  I can let you know about the Victoria and area ones closer to when you will be here.  Maybe we can meet for a coffee while you are here, or a visit with our quilting group that meets on Mondays in the new Chemainus Firehall.  More later.  

I too enjoy the Okanagon Valley.  Stopped at many wineries when we were there and attended a fresh air craft market.  We stayed in West Bank and would like to try the Oysoyoos area next.  

Leslie 

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 27
Points 475

Marilyn,  Since you are driving during the summer the drive through the mountains should be a BREEZE.And it will be very beautiful.....My DH and I have done it at least 18 times during  the fall and the spring...My DH turns into a "Type A" personality once we get into a car to go anywhere...I have to train my bladder to go ONLY when we stop for gas...We drive from Bradford to Whistler in around 50 hours...sstraight driving...Last fall he drove for 3 hours into Calgary and then saying he had not seen any snow or rain for the past 2 hours he asked me to take over...and you can guess what happened...one half hour later...I was driving through some of the worst snow that we had seen on the entire drive...my knuckles we very white by the time we got to the top of the Rogers Pass...and I had to quit...so don't be worried about driving through the mountains... and ENJOY your trip...

Grayce

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 156
Points 3,485
Pat replied on Tue, May 22 2012 10:49 PM

I second Grace's comments about driving through the mountains. They have widened the Trans Canada considerably, with a lot of the roads being 4 lane. They've also added animal overpasses, which is a neat concept. The past few times we've been to Alberta, we've been pulling a trailer. DH and I swap off with the driving - his knee gives out after a couple of hours, and unfortunately, I need pit stops. However, it is a beautiful drive.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Sat, May 26 2012 10:32 AM

Thanks Grayce.  Last time I drove over mountain was in LA and it was great weather and small mountain but people were nuts.  I could do highway roads like what goes up the side of Hamilton mountain 4 lanes with barriers, works for me.  I think I need to go to CAA and get a travel guide and let hubby decide LOL.

Paris, Ontario

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 46
Points 675

Just wanted to say that driving through the Rocky Mountains is a piece of cake.  There is a lovely road from Jasper to Banff (can't say I loved the drive from Edmonton to Jasper though) and Calgary to Banff and Lake Louise is 4 lane.  I think there are lots of passing lanes and in the summer, most people are on holiday and are many new to the road  as well and so don't seem to be in hurry and are more patient.  The transport trucks are the biggest challenge.  They like to go fast downhill and slow uphill-lol Just travelling to Banff and Lake Louise would be on my bucket list if I hadn't lived near them.  My favourite mountain town in Alberta is Waterton in southern Alberta. It's truly an unspoiled town. Unfortunately Kilmorey Lodge burned down shortly after we moved to Vancouver Island.  We used to spend at least one weekend a year there.  I would love to see you come to Vancouver Island, but in my mind  it would be a shame to be so close to the Rockies and not visit them

Leslie.   

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Sun, May 27 2012 11:11 AM

Leslie and I definitely have a lot in common!  I also totally love Waterton!  It's the absolute best place in Alberta I think.

Kim in Calgary

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 156
Points 3,485
Pat replied on Sun, Jul 1 2012 6:23 PM

Kim, I totally agree with you and Leslie about Waterton. Dh and I camped there last September for a few days. It's definitely a place that we will go back to! This photo of the Prince of Wales hotel was taken from the tour boat.

Awesome town, and deer everywhere :)

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

Hey Pat!  Great photo.  We just returned from a few days in Waterton.  It was absolutely splendid.  I'm going to post a few photos here in the new little while.

Kim

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

Hey ladies!  I just wanted to post a few photos of the Waterton Lakes National Park area in southern Alberta....

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 46
Points 675

THank you Kim.  I hope that was a telephoto lens you used for the bear peeking out of the bush.  My husband and i loved our times in Waterton.  One time we golfed on their course and they gave us a reduced rate because they had just aerated the greens.  We had more problems with the deer droppings that the aeration plugs.  lol

Did you make it to Victoria last month?  Leslie

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 156
Points 3,485
Pat replied on Fri, Jul 6 2012 10:58 PM

Great photos, Kim! waterton is definitely on our "We will go back and explore more!" list

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930

Kim and Pat what beautiful pictures.  I agree though, Kim hope that was a telephoto lens on the bear.

Sorry guys that I have not been around much.  It has been a zoo here.  Aside from not knowing where my job will be in september, (we find out tomorrow night if they close one of the schools and I get bumped), and my health issues, (have been out with back and neck problems for the last 6 weeks so no sewing but I am going to try some today), last weekend, 6 weeks before the wedding the fiance decided he needed time to think about whether he wanted to get married or not and disappeard for 2 days.  When he came back he still had not made up his mind so my daughter said if you have to think about it for so long then your answer must be no and she told him to take a hike.  They have know each other for 10 years, have been living together for the last 2 and the week after the invites go out he does not know.  Needless to say DD was a bit upset and because he left her with a new car and new car debt she could not afford to be on her own so yesterday we moved her home till she finds a way to straighten out her finance.  Hopefully with no rent and utilities etc she can get straightened away in a couple of months.   Man am I looking forward to 10 days in Alberta.

On another note...What would you guys like to do with this group?  Effie had some problems with her machine but hopefully it is getting fixed and she will get the quilt back to me before the end of the summer to bind it.  If you like we can mail it around so you can all see the finished product as the photos dont do it justice.  Is there something you would like to next?  Is there someone who would like to lead us in doing something?  What would you like to do?

Paris, Ontario

• Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 46
Points 675

My goodness Marilyn, so sorry for your DD.  It's hard to believe it now, but it will be better that it happened now than after a couple of years of marriage with kids in the picture.   Hard on all of you particularly when your home becomes a mulit-generational home again.  

I'm newish to this group and haven't been involved with the quilt making so far.  Right now, I'm operating with my "summer off" brain  and so haven't a thought about where to go from here.  I will think on it over the summer though.  It would be nice to have a little more activity in this group.  

Hope you enjoy your trip to Alberta.  My husband's older brother and his wife are here visiting from Edmonton right now.  They were escaping high temperatures but our weather has finally changed to sunny skies and warm temperatures.  Millie uses a walker and we are very glad that when our house was built 8 years ago we chose wide hallways and 36" doorways (including the bathrooms).  Just had to add toilet arm rests as the toilet is raised as well.  I think we will be able to age very well in our home.  

Leslie on Vancouver Island

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 10:53 AM

Leslie - Hey to you!  Sorry for the delay in responding.....for some reason, I couldn't log on to on the QCA site.

No telephoto lens when we spotted the grizzly bear "cub".  Just crop, crop, crop the photo once I had it on my computer. 

We had to postpone our Victoria trip - due to my husband and business!  We'll get there in the next few months.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 10:57 AM

Marilyn - I'm so sorry to hear about your work and health issues, not to mention your daughter's major change of plans.  I will be thinking of you and her and hoping that she gets back on her feet in the near future.

Please remember to email me when you are in and around Calgary at the end of the month.  Hopefully, I'll be here and we can get together.  That would be really nice to meet you.

Insofar as the direction this group should take...I don't know!  I'm going to think about it for awhile and see if anything pops up in my mind.

Please take care of yourself.

Kim

Page 8 of 10 (144 items) «Prev678910Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use