What used to be called Klondike Days - http://www.capitalex.ca/ July 20-29

luv, Liz / Calgary

Liz / Calgary

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

Marilyn - Too bad you won't make it to Calgary while you're in Alberta.  If not, Calgary, Banff and Lake Louise would be such fabulous places for you and your husband to visit.  No doubt your son has likely been there - if he has been stationed in Edmonton for any length of time. 

We lived in Edmonton for a short while - my husband was working there for several years - but mainly commuted home to Calgary on the weekends.  I'm not really fond of Edmonton - but the river valley is nice and a lovely place to walk.  Do you like football?  There will likely be a game in Commonwealth Stadium while you're there.  That would be fun! 

Kim

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 46
Points 675

Hi Kim.  If you head to Tofino, I would suggest a little detour into Chemainus if you haven't been here before.  Our little town is a town of murals.  They are very interesting and even if you only drive down Willow street, you will see some very nice murals.  I can suggest a couple to check out if you are interested.  The road from Chemainus to Ladysmith is very pretty travelling alongside the water off and on.  Then you can get back on the Trans-Canada.  I will send you a coupe of web sites to look as well.  More later when I gather the information together.  Leslie

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 46
Points 675

Hi Marilyn.  I had to check the map to see where Paris is in Ontario.  Shame on me as we lived in Ottawa for 3 years and our daughters both still live there.  Can't say that we spent much time in southern Ontario though so perhaps I can be excused.  The southern area population is too dense for me.  We moved from Calgary when it was nearing 1,000,000 to a town that is less than 4,000 and I have adapted easily.  The only thing I don't like about living here is getting on and off the Island.  We have had flights cancelled and the ferries don't always sail if there is a high wind.  

I went to university in Edmonton and met my husband there.  Big change since we attended the U of A though.  This time last year I attended the 50th Anniversary of the first year of Occupational Therapy at the U of A and I started in that class.  Edmonton is not my favourite city either.  It's true that there is a rivalry between Calgary and Edmonton.  Did you know that Edmonton stole the capital from Calgary?  Calgary has a district called Capital Hill and that was where the legislature building was to be built.  We still visit occasionally as one of my husband's brothers and his sister live there.  

If you come to the Island, there is a nice quilt shop in the downtown area about 4-6 blocks down Government street.  It's called Satin Moon.  And another one is in Cadboro Bay near the Cadboro Bay Golf Course.  I shall look up the name.  Again, if you are interest in batiks, Bib and Tucker is a great shop.  She has over 2500 batiks, but can't keep them all in her shop.  More info to follow.  

Good night for now.  Leslie

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

Leslie - I'm so appreciative of your advice.  Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing more from you when you have time.

Kim

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930

Thank you Leslie and Kim.  I talked to DH and he was excited to find out that Calgary is only a couple of hours away from Edmonton so he is now torn between driving to Calgary or flying to Victoria.  I am thinking that Calgary may win out as he hates to fly. I told him that we are going the end of July so we can hopefully see some of the Expo, it sounds like fun. 

Paris, Ontario

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

Hey again Leslie.  I did a recent blog post on the Satin Moon quilt shop.....http://www.kimhansonquilts.com/blog/  Just scroll down and it's the third post on the page.

Kim

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 46
Points 675

Thanks for pointing me to your blog. Your photos are great.  I didn't know that Satin Moon had moved.  Good to know as I would have headed to the wrong site.  Sorry to hear about the snow Calgary received on Sat. morning. 

Bye the way I have written out some suggestions for places to visit on Vancouver Island, but  haven't yet figured out how to attach them specifically to you so as not to add a lot of info to this thread.   Leslie

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

Leslie - you could send it to my email perhaps?  Or if you're on Facebook?   km.hanson@shaw.ca.

Kim

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 46
Points 675

Hi Marilyn.  When you decide whether the destination is Calgary or Victoria, just let me know and I will send some suggestions for Victoria and area.  It's only about an hour flight from Calgary.  Don't know what it is from Edmonton though.  You don't want to miss the rocky mountains when you are so close.  We still have snow on our little mountain that is visual from our street but Mount Brenton is more like a hill to a native Calgarian.  That's as close as we want snow though.  

Leslie on sunny Vancouver Island.  

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Thu, May 10 2012 10:49 AM

I second what Leslie has to say for sure, Marilyn!  You have to see the Rockies and Banff and Lake Louise....I could go on and on!  If you decide to visit Calgary, I will be happy to give you some information on where to go and what to see.  Maybe we could even meet!

Take care of yourself.

Kim

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Thu, May 10 2012 5:56 PM

Leslie and Kim I will let you know where I can convince DH to go but already told him (like he didn't already know) we are hitting as many fabric stores as I can find. Kim I would love to meet you.  Actually would love to meet all you guys.

Paris, Ontario

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 156
Points 3,485
Pat replied on Sun, May 13 2012 1:02 PM

Hi, Marilyn - I agree with Leslie and Kim - you are so close to the Rockies that you can't miss Jasper or Banff, and Vancouver Island is incredible as well. However, halfway between Calgary and Vancouver Island is the Okanagan Valley - home of over hundreds of wineries, and about a dozen quilt shops :) that have all agreed to work together and carry different fabric than everyone else in the Valley :)

Whichever way you decide to go, you will enjoy :)

Leslie - I'm looking forward to this fall - DH and I will be staying in Chemainus in September. We've walked the Mural Path last time we were there - wonderful murals. I'll find out from you where the quilt shops are (I can see DH rolling his eyes as I type this)

Kim - managed to make Spruce Meadows last year - great fun! We camped in De Winton, and just drove the bit back and forth. Unfortunately, didn't have time to find any quilt shops there or to give you a buzz.

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Sun, May 13 2012 3:13 PM

I have always wanted to see the okanagan valley.  I am not sure I want to drive thru the mountains, I am chicken and DH does none of the driving while we travel.  He navigates. lol

Paris, Ontario

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

Pat - I'm so glad to hear that you made it to Spruce Meadows. DeWinton is lovely also - so I'm thinking you probably had a nice camping trip.  Thanks for letting me know.

Kim

Page 7 of 10 (144 items) «Prev56789Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use