What are you working on?

rated by 0 users
This post has 60 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 155
Points 3,435
Pat replied on Sat, Jul 23 2011 10:12 PM

Holy mackeral, Louise!!! Broken bones are NOT fun! Hoping you have a very speedy recovery, but enjoy the NO housework :)

Marilyn - you are more energetic than I am with the painting. Good for you!

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930

I can't believe how time has flown this summer.  I have been busy busy.  We got our house appraised and it seems that it is not worth what we hoped  so the area we hoped to move to is out of the question.  We have decided to stay put and just update the kitchen and bathroom.  Hopefully it will all be done by November LOL.  I have gotten some motivation to finish my SBS quilts.  I went into Toronto to see my dad and the two aunts that I am doing the quilts for both asked if I sell my work.  I said no because I don't but knowing that both were going to ask for one I am determined to get them done by the end of the summer.  One is finished now except for the label and the second has the sashing done and just need to quilt inside the 70 blocks.  My goal is to do 7 a day, that is one row a day and I should have it done in 10 days.....maybe.  I am excited because one of my aunts said years ago she saw this beautiful white quilt that they want $700 for at a quilt sale and she is kicking herself because she did not buy it.  My SBS quilts are mainly white except for the actual blocks which have an off white background fabric.  I will post pictures when I get the second one done.  I will start on the Mountie when these are done as well as I have decided that nothing else gets worked on until then.

Hope everyone is having a great summer and getting some quilting done as well.

Paris, Ontario

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 155
Points 3,435
Pat replied on Wed, Aug 17 2011 10:25 PM

This is our "concrete" quilt that is the back wall for the deck that we are expanding in the back yard. We did the digging (by hand) a couple of years ago, and managed to get the wall up. We had to put the project on hold for a couple of years due to family issues and weather, but are finally back at it (now that it's dried out enough to start digging again. The deck is going to reflect the diamond pattern (HGTV and DIY network are dangerous channels). It will look like a trip around the world as well. DH and I are doing all the work ourselves so it's done when he wakes up after night shift, and I get home after my day job.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Thu, Aug 18 2011 7:58 AM

Pat that is stunning but what a lot of work.  I know what you mean about HGTV and DIY network, they are about the only thing on tv that we watch lol. (hence the kitchen and bathroom redo we are going thru now)  Can't wait to see your finished deck.

Paris, Ontario

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 3,675
Laura replied on Thu, Aug 18 2011 11:36 PM

WOW! That's amazing! Really beautiful. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!!

Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 155
Points 3,435
Pat replied on Sun, Aug 28 2011 12:35 AM

AAACCCKKK!!!!! Wouldn't you know it - trying to get a quilt finished to take to Edmonton for Quilts of Valour, and my sewing machine jammed and I CANNOT get it unjammed!!! Murphy's law...

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

Oh Pat!  That's not good.  I hope you get it "unjammed" soon.

Tell me more about Quilts of Valour...

Kim in Calgary

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 66
Points 740

I like to do quilts for Quilts Of Valour as well, I keep in touch with Lezley lots. LOL! I have bins I mad up of my own fabrics to use only for QOV, I just have not had the time to get working on the quilts yet. But I do have lots of fabric for it, none canadian themed but oh well.

http://www.quiltsofvalour.ca/

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

Ashley - thanks for the link.  I've never even heard of Quilts of Valour but I shall check it out now.

Kim in Calgary

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 3,675
Laura replied on Sun, Aug 28 2011 10:03 PM

I've heard of the Quilts of Valour but had only seen the American site. I think our guild talked about doing some for the Canadian one, but we took a break for the summer so it may come up again in Sept.

I have a problem I need some help with. I am doing a king size quilt for DD, with 100 9" blocks. The blocks are different colors (great for using up scraps) and are to be appliqued. But I need to lay them out somehow so I can figure out how to sew them together so they look good. I have a design wall but it's only 6'x7' and that's not big enough. I could lay them on the floor in the front entry, but then you can't use the front entry. Does anyone have any really great ideas?? I'm almost tempted to lay the blocks out on the grass in the back yard! This is the quilt that I am making, the one in the back with the double circles on it. So you can see, it's definitely multi-colored. I haven't done the applique circles yet, I was thinking I should get the blocks together in rows, then start figuring out where to put the circles. The quilt will be 10 rows of 10 blocks.

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 155
Points 3,435
Pat replied on Mon, Aug 29 2011 12:33 AM

Ashley, hopefully I'll get my machine fixed in time to finish the quilt to take it with me. This is something that I can do to say thank you to all those who have served, like my husband, a number of good friends and family members as well.

Laura, I've had this happen to me too. What I ended up doing was thumbtacking a couple of good sized pieces of flannel to the ceiling, and letting it hang to the floor. You're up and down off the chair a lot placing those top few rows, but it works - and you get your cardio workout for the day...:) Once I had it where I wanted it, took a number of pictures of it (it was taking up space in the living room - in front of the living room window....)

It looks like it's going to be an awesome quilt when it's done :)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 27
Points 475

Hi Laura,   if you are going to lay it out on the lawn..first of all make sure the weather will be good for day..and then if you use a pair of binoculars reversed you will be able to see colours in minature...but the other idea of hanging pieces of flannel makes sense as well..Glad that you had a good time in Tacoma..

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 3,675
Laura replied on Tue, Aug 30 2011 12:38 AM

Pat, I have a low ceiling in the basement where my sewing room is, so that probably won't work. I am still leaning towards laying it on the lawn or in the front entry one day when I am off and DH is at work. Or moving the coffee table and doing it on the living room floor that way I at least have carpet to crawl around on. I was also going to do a quilt for one of the girls at work who is preggo with her first, but her mom quilts too and today she said mom was going to make her a quilt. I am now thinking I should find out what she is doing in the nursery and do her a wall hanging, or else do a floor quilt for when baby is down on tummy time or playing.

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Tue, Aug 30 2011 11:01 AM

Laura - I vote for laying it out in your backyard on a nice day.  I think you'd be able to get a really good look at it that way.

Your quilt will be beautiful.

Kim in Calgary

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 155
Points 3,435
Pat replied on Tue, Aug 30 2011 10:09 PM

Hey, Laura - I can relate to the low ceilings in the basement. I have the same issue, which is why I take over the living room (just as long as I don't block the TV set - ESPECIALLY during Canucks games---although I'm just as big a fan as he is :) )

The laying the blocks on the lawn works really well, and if you can look at it from a second story or off a ladder to get the perspective.

Another option is the $$ store tablecloths with the flannel backing taped plastic side in to the side of your house or to your garage door large enough to make a good sized design wall (used this one too - the trick with the outdoors is to make sure the day is NOT windy - otherwise you do a bit of chasing of blocks :( )

I'm looking forward to seeing it when it's done.

The wall quilt or the floor quilt sounds like a great idea for the baby, and it will be much appreciated.

Page 4 of 5 (61 items) Prev12345Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use