Canadiana blocks

rated by 0 users
This post has 57 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B Posted: Sun, Mar 13 2011 2:42 PM

The project we are working on is to design and/or sew a block that represents your area of Canada.  Blocks are to be maximum 10x10" but can be smaller if you like.

After designing the block we can post them here for all to see and I will figure out how to set it up so that we can download the designs.  We were going to make it a quick project just until the end of March but as we are getting some more people perhaps we extend it until the end of April. 

If we get enough interest in the Canadian group we can go on to do bigger and better projects.

Paris, Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Mon, Mar 28 2011 3:48 PM

I was telling a friend about this group doing  blocks and she said, "if you can get at least one from every province and territory then you could put them all together and send them to Ottawa for Canada Day."  How neat would that be ladies and gents.  It is only 1 block that you need to do and I would be willing to get it put together.  Tell everyone you know.

Paris, Ontario

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 40
Points 580
Louise replied on Tue, Mar 29 2011 11:40 AM

Marilyn

Sounds good to me, would you like the blocks to have something specific to our province?  Perhaps Anne of Green Gable for PEI?  IF that is possible?  Or perhaps PEI red mud died white fabric?  Just throwing out ideas, let me know!

Louise

louise@isnhighspeed.ca

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Tue, Mar 29 2011 11:49 AM

Louise, something that represents your area or your idea of what your area is about is what we are looking for, pattern is totally up to you.  If you want to combine the two and do a rendition of Green Gables with red mud died white fabric that would be perfect as well.  Your choice completely.

Paris, Ontario

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 40
Points 580
Louise replied on Tue, Mar 29 2011 2:38 PM

Marilyn

Please count me in on that, it would honestly be my honour to do that!    I will have something made for it soon!

Louise

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 43,630
Vivian replied on Tue, Mar 29 2011 7:02 PM

What time frame are we looking at?  I am looking at a couple of techniques for blocks and I want to throw one in.  If we send enough, maybe we could get two quilts out of it.  Even a practice block is a good block.

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 155
Points 3,435
Pat replied on Tue, Mar 29 2011 10:00 PM

I think that's an awesome idea! Time to step up the sewing time :)

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 40
Points 580
Louise replied on Tue, Mar 29 2011 10:02 PM

Vivian

I agree with you on that, I am willing to make more than one block!  I think that this is one of the best ways to make the quilts, other than the fact that it has to be completed!  Non the less I think the more the merrier!

Louise

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930
Marilyn B replied on Wed, Mar 30 2011 5:42 AM

That is wonderful girls, spread the word... I am thinking if we have the blocks to me by the middle of May say the week of mother's day 8-14th that would give me a month to get them together.  I am sure I can talk the 2 home ec teachers into helping me piece and sandwich it or if there are people in the area that want to get together I can see if we can get either a room at the library or the quilt store.  There used to be a store in Kitchener where you could rent the long arm or if anyone else has a long arm that would be willing to do the quilting that would be great as well.   I will look into who to "present" it to in Ottawa and we can make a field trip.  I have not been to Ottawa in a few years and would love to go.

Paris, Ontario

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 40
Points 580
Louise replied on Wed, Mar 30 2011 8:43 AM

Marilyn

I will be sure to have the blocks to you by the week of May 8th to 14th!  I will be with you ladies in Ottawa, however only in spirit!  I am not sure what we have planned for our summer holidays and I do not think it involves a trip to Ottawa!

Wish I could help with the use of a long arm, however I do not have one nor do I know anyone in that area who might!

Louise

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 26
Points 525
Effie replied on Thu, Mar 31 2011 6:35 PM

I would be willing to quilt this on my long-arm if someone can get the top to St Catharines, ON

Effie

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 40
Points 580
Louise replied on Thu, Mar 31 2011 8:05 PM

Effie

That is so kind and generous of you.  Thank you!

Louise

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930

Effie that would be so generous of you.  I am not far about 40 minutes from St. Catharines and my daughter is moving there May 1st so I can drop the quilt and visit her as well.  maybe we can get together sooner and you can show me the fabric shops there.

Paris, Ontario

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 40
Points 580
Louise replied on Fri, Apr 1 2011 7:59 AM

Effie & Marilyn

Isn't it great the way this seems to be falling into place?  I am off to my LQS today, sales sales sales to see what I can do to make the blocks!  And about Anne of Green Gables, unless I have their permission I could get sued?  So there are a lot of things that are PEI, the red soil, the bridge, potatoes and so on!  I can't wait to see a photo of the completed quilt!

Louise

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 26
Points 525
Effie replied on Fri, Apr 1 2011 3:10 PM

I would love to get together with you. Do you have any dates in mind? Fridays, Saturdays or Mondays work best for me.

Effie

Page 1 of 4 (58 items) 1234Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use