Quiltville Mystery Quilt....Celtic Solstice

rated by 0 users
This post has 300 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana Posted: Wed, Oct 23 2013 10:37 PM

Here is a thread for all those working on this mystery.  Have fun.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,729
Points 364,682
Kris replied on Wed, Oct 23 2013 11:42 PM

Thanks Nana.

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Points 320
JennieQ replied on Thu, Oct 24 2013 8:26 AM

Hi Nana,

Would you please post or send me info on this mystery quilt as this is the first time that I have heard about this quilt.  I would like to do this quilt.

Thanks for all you do.

JennieQ

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,135
Jacy replied on Thu, Oct 24 2013 10:09 AM

JennieQ:
Would you please post or send me info on this mystery quilt as this is the first time that I have heard about this quilt.

Jennie, this mystery quilt is done by Bonnie Hunter, it starts Nov 29th. Here's the link to the info

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2013/10/2013-mystery-time-introducing-celtic.html?showComment=1382624847089

Bonnie does a scrappy mystery each year and it generally involves LOTS of sewing. if you have lots of scraps/stash it is a great way to use some up.

Not Ranked
Posts 19
Points 320
JennieQ replied on Thu, Oct 24 2013 4:21 PM

Hi Jacy,

Thanks so much for the response and the link. I will look forward to doing this quilt.

JennieQ

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 5,635
dardar replied on Thu, Oct 24 2013 5:31 PM

I'm looking through my stash already. has anyone picked their fabrics?

I can't wait to get started, but am still trying to make some decisions about fabric. I have no where the variety of neutrals that BOnnie has, so not sure what to do about that other than we white or white boring.

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Oct 24 2013 6:23 PM

dardar, poke around Bonnie Hunter's website (Quiltville) a bit and be sure and see her video on "disecting a man's shirt".  She tears up 100% cotton men's dress shirts to get a huge variety of shirting fabrics for her neutrals.  I actually went to our little thrift store and picked up some shirts for this purpose.   (Her method makes it look quick and simple.  I take a bit longer.  Hopefully I will get faster with practice.)  If you have a Goodwill store near where you live, you will be in good shape.  And, just like Bonnie!!!

Winthrop, WA

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 5,635
dardar replied on Thu, Oct 24 2013 6:26 PM

THere just happens to be a Goodwill store up the street. Good idea. I'll check it out this weekend.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 333
Points 6,005
Helen replied on Thu, Oct 24 2013 6:48 PM

I am hoping to participate.  Also don't have enough whites/creams.  May be worth going to the LQS to buy some fat quarters and also throw in a sprinkling of yellow.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 5,635
dardar replied on Thu, Oct 24 2013 6:59 PM

I think I have come up with something I want to use. I was going through my fabric and found some Moda Grundge. It's a kind of funky off white, with a little cream and pale green. I think I have just enough for the background. I think there is just enough texture to not be "boring white or white" like Bonnie called it. I love here quilts, but I struggle with the busy background fabric.

She said to make it scrappy, but....I think mine will be a more controlled scrappy.

I hope you do participate Helen. It is so much fun and great to have others to sew along with.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 333
Points 6,005
Helen replied on Thu, Oct 24 2013 7:14 PM

I printed out the info sheet and guess I will do it since it is only a BOM and I can work at my pace.  I have a lot of fat quarters in blues and greens and may do a controlled backing as you plan to do.  It will be fun to follow everyone's progress as on past BOM's and Mysteries.  You gave me the push I needed :-)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 98
Points 1,565
Christine replied on Thu, Oct 24 2013 7:40 PM

I will be joining in on this mystery.  Started going through my scrap bins trying to clean those out as much as I can and use stash to round it out.  Yellow and oranges are not plentiful so may substitute another color.  I have a lot of reds and browns so still contemplating color combos. I am thinking going with the more off white as a background color.  I used up almost all my whites on Easy Street and Lazy Sunday and Bonnies Tulip fields pattern that is in progress.  Wanted to go Civil War but not enough pink, red or purple or yellow/gold to do that have enough browns, blues, greens but short on the rest.  I wish I new if 2" or 2.5" strips were going to used so I can more accuratley judge if I have enough scraps but guess I will find out on Nov 29th.  Have all the rulers that she said she was going to use so good there.

So what size is everyone thinking of doing?  I have 2 completed kings so think I am going to do the smaller size 75" x 75". Because I have way to many UFO's now. But if I come up with enough scraps a king might happen but thinking probably not :)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,135
Jacy replied on Thu, Oct 24 2013 7:45 PM

There is no reason why you can't have one fabric for the background and then do scrappy  for the colors, It's your quilt.

I'm sure I'll have a hard time keeping up with Bonnie's schedule, especially with my DD's wedding and house guests the first half of December. But it's still fun to see everyone's progress even when you have to play catch-up later.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,135
Jacy replied on Thu, Oct 24 2013 7:47 PM

Christine, I'm doing the smaller size. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,600
Points 119,085

Christine:
So what size is everyone thinking of doing?

If I do this one, it will be the 75x75 size. I'm still debating. I've done a couple of Bonnie's MQ's and like her directions.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Page 1 of 21 (301 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use