Diamond Strings

rated by 0 users
This post has 163 Replies | 19 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 120
Points 2,040

I'm the same way, Jean. I did not participate in this scrappy project, but I absolutely love following the discussion and seeing the pictures. My boss had a baby girl in July and I haven't yet finished her quilt. It just isn't speaking to me. I put it aside and started another one that I'm liking better. Need to get some more done on it. I plan to finish the other one, and I'm hoping by putting it away for a while, it'll renew my interest in it. The last few projects I've done have been scrappy, and I'm hoping my problem is just because I'm getting tired of looking at the same fabrics over and over again. I don't feel like I should focus on another project until I get at least one of the baby quilts done. 

I'm looking forward to the cooler weather, too, which means I can cross yard work off my list of chores to do for a few months!! 

But I am following along and looking forward to more pictures!! 

MaryAnn

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,308
Points 18,340
Erin replied on Sat, Sep 15 2012 4:41 PM

I'm stuck for a few days on working with Diamond Strings. I need to get to the store and buy a little fabric to be able to finish. I was just going to go with a small table topper or lap quilt but I got carried away and just kept going..LOL Hoping to get to town Monday but a lot of things going on are slowing me down. The grand daughter is here until tomorrow night so we are doing a lot more coloring than sewing. Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Erin

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,308
Points 18,340
Erin replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 1:15 PM

I've had so much going on and didn't have the "sew time" I thought I would have with husband gone. So for 3 weeks my diamond strings was stalled. Today I whined a little about tearing the paper off and then just decided I NEEDED to get at it! From 10:30 until 2 I tore paper, made tubes, cut them and I am ready to sew my big blocks together. Taking a break for lunch and dog walk but I am hoping to post my top sometime this evening.

Piece, Love, Quilt

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 398
Points 4,920
Jean replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 7:00 PM

Well, here's my diamond scrap top.  I used fall colors just have to put the backing and then on to quilting.  This was a new pattern for me to learn.  Really happy with it.

• Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Jean,

Love your controlled Diamond String quilt.  Your colors are great.  It is so cheerful.  Good work!  

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,308
Points 18,340
Erin replied on Wed, Sep 26 2012 11:40 PM

Jean- very pretty. I love fall colors!

Here is just one of my blocks...I was in the middle of working on it and I got company. I think I will call this Pink Diamonds.... more to come tomorrow....

Piece, Love, Quilt

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,460
Points 361,947
Kris replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 2:16 AM

Jean:
Well, here's my diamond scrap top.  I used fall colors just have to put the backing and then on to quilting.  This was a new pattern for me to learn.  Really happy with it.

I like it Jean. I like the pinwheel layout.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,460
Points 361,947
Kris replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 2:17 AM

Erin:
Here is just one of my blocks...I was in the middle of working on it and I got company. I think I will call this Pink Diamonds....

Very pretty Erin.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 398
Points 4,920
Jean replied on Thu, Sep 27 2012 5:17 AM

This is going to be so cherry!  Love the colors

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 655
Points 16,585

Jean -- love your layout.  It took me a minute to see the pinwheels, but once my eyes caught them I realized how striking the quilt is.  Never even thought of pinwheels.

Erin -- your quilt will end up being a real eye popper when finished. 

I am amazed at the creativity of folks on this forum and am learning so much.  Thank you all.

Brigit-Carol

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,326
Points 27,965
Marsha-SM replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 5:42 PM

I finally have a spot set up (outside) for taking pictures.  Have been waiting for a chance when I am home (which is seldom) and when the sun is shining.  Today we were promised a partly cloudy day with no rain, so I took advantage and took pictures of 30 wheelchair quilts - about 20 done and rest either tops or pinned ready to quilt.  The sun was only out for the first six - it was so gloomy for the last dozen or so that they are not good.  Tried a few computer tricks to remove the faded look, but not very successfully.  Here is my top.  Probably have enough 4" strips sewn together to make another.  Have been machine quilting (stitch in ditch) the last few weeks.

Needed flash because of the gloom and it washed out the colors and made it slightly blurry.  I increased the deepness of the color so that the red wasn't pink!  The quilt is about 38" x 42".  I didn't measure, but that is what I aimed for!  I used my small Easy Angle ruler on 3 1/2" strips.  The full size ruler fit from raw edge to raw edge.  I had to pick a few stitches from each point to allow the blocks to open up, but ended up with an 8" block instead of Bonnie's about 6" one with her method.  I didn't have her ruler so don't know how she cut to get the smaller blocks.  I hope to get back to sewing strips and finish another.  That one will be trimmed in dark blue.  Haven's pulled the background yet or decided how the blocks will be set.  I love pinwheels, so that is why I used them here.

Marsha - Western New York

• Post Points: 110
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 398
Points 4,920
Jean replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 6:55 PM

I like the reds.  Good job.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 332
Points 6,000
Helen replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 8:08 PM

Very pretty quuilt.  Nice border too Marsha.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

What a great quilt, Marsha!  I like your red white red lateral borders too!  Nice!

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,326
Points 27,965
Marsha-SM replied on Sat, Sep 29 2012 9:13 PM

Judy:

What a great quilt, Marsha!  I like your red white red lateral borders too!  Nice!

Thank you, Judy.  I thought red would bring out the colors better, and I am pleased with the result.  Hope to get this quilted soon.  Finally ordered a case of batting, so have a supply on hand for a while.   I had 10 small quilts needing batting, not to mention several mystery quilts in the pile.

Marsha - Western New York

• Post Points: 35
Page 8 of 11 (164 items) «Prev678910Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use