Diamond Strings

rated by 0 users
This post has 163 Replies | 19 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,905
Nana Posted: Sat, Aug 25 2012 11:29 PM

Carol has so nicely volunteered to lead a scrappy project with all of us.  She wants to use one of Bonnie Hunter's patterns called Diamond Strings.  Anyone that wants to do this project will need to go to www.quiltville.com    and download the pattern,.   You will find it in the list of patterns down on the right hand side of the page.  Just keep scrolling until you see it listed.  Click on Diamond Strings and then download the pdf file that comes up for you.

Carol will start with instructions, steps , and pics on September 1.  I hope that many of you will join in on this project and have lots of fun working together.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 8:21 AM

I'm looking forward to this.  It looks like a fun pattern.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,873
Points 366,872
Kris replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 2:08 PM

Ah strings. The bane of my existence. LOL. Looking forward to it Carol.

I have that Wonder Cut ruler but never even took the shrink wrap off it. I guess it will finally make its debut.

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Sun, Aug 26 2012 4:25 PM

Kris:
I have that Wonder Cut ruler but never even took the shrink wrap off it. I guess it will finally make its debut.

I just ordered the ruler from Connecting Threads.  I found it on sale for $15.20.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 700
Points 17,500

Well, here I am joining yet another group!  This site is a lot larger than it first looks.  Count me in on the string project as long as I don't have to buy yet another ruler.  I recently watched a video on making tube quilt blocks using a regular square quilt ruler, so I think I can manage.  I also have the flying geese ruler which I think can do the same triangle cut. 

Since this is my first project with you, could someone share how it works (or point me to the "rules")?  Thanks.

Brigit-Carol

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,905
Nana replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 2:40 PM

Belfrybat

Just go to www.quiltville.com and download the Diamond Strings pattern.  You will work at your own pace and share your progress with us.  Carol will also start posting pics of the steps and tips on doing them on Sept 1.  Since this is a pattern belonging to Bonnie Hunter everyone will have to get the pattern.  We won't be able to give specific pattern instructions just tips on how to do the instructions given by Bonnie.   If you have anymore questions please just ask and we will do the best we can to help.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 790
Points 20,040
Carol replied on Mon, Aug 27 2012 10:30 PM

Nana, the "What are you up to today thread" would not let  me post to it, so I reported it.  I will try to be more diligent in checking on this thread once the project starts - I have the sample done now, so will be able to answer any questions, I hope!

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,905
Nana replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 12:49 AM

Carol

Bring all your posts to this thread.  I just put a heads up in the general forums threads so that people would know about the new project.  Just post all your pics and discussions in this thread and everyone will know where to find them.   I hope you have fun doing this.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 392
Points 4,915
Kristie replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 8:46 AM

Ooo... I'm going to join in on this quilt.  I don't own that ruler, but from what I see the half square triangle and quarter square triangle rulers from Nifty Notions will cover it. :)

Thanks!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 9:09 AM

Carol:

Nana, the "What are you up to today thread" would not let  me post to it, so I reported it.  I will try to be more diligent in checking on this thread once the project starts - I have the sample done now, so will be able to answer any questions, I hope!

I hope QCA Admin will fix the tech issues before the group gets started.  I'm so looking forward to a fall scrappy project but am losing interest in this site because it has become so slow and seems to waste too much of my time waiting for pages to load.  When I hit "reply" to post this it took a long time for the page to come up :(

I ordered the Wonder Cut ruler but after reading another post, do I really need it?

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 790
Points 20,040
Carol replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 3:06 PM

I could not find the "Wondercut" ruler, and I used ones I have already.  It would have let you do it all with the one ruler, but I used my regular long one, and then when I cut the triangles, I used the companion angle, but you can use any triangle ruler that will cut the size you want.  Oh, yes Bonnie says to try different sizes, and I cut my strips bigger, so made fewer blocks to make the size I wanted.  I thought it would show up the strips and colors better, instead of cutting it so small and making more blocks.  You can always do it your way, right?

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,350
Points 28,505
Marsha-SM replied on Tue, Aug 28 2012 5:10 PM

I will be going against my vow of no more new quilts except mysteries before I have the Wheelchair quilts done.  This could be a good idea for one of them, so I am in .........  unless machinery repairs, flat tires on the trailer, truck and MIL's car and unplanned trucking jobs come up.  That is what has occupied me for the last 2 weeks,  but I DID finish quilting one quilt and have started another with a third pinned ready for the machine.  I am getting better maneuvering the quilt for stitch in the ditch around stars, etc.  Have done most with grid and diagonals in the ditch so far.  The one I am doing now has star-type blocks so I am doing much twisting and turning.  Wish I had one of those sit-down longarms, but too many $$$$$$$$$ for me. 

I still have many strips and pieces from the fabrics I have been trying to use up - MQ 6, Farmer's Wife, and Nana's first scrap quilt here.  Still enough for several more quilts in the duller colors.  I don't promise I will get it done, but will try.

Marsha - Western New York

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 700
Points 17,500

Carol:

I could not find the "Wondercut" ruler, and I used ones I have already.  It would have let you do it all with the one ruler, but I used my regular long one, and then when I cut the triangles, I used the companion angle, but you can use any triangle ruler that will cut the size you want.  Oh, yes Bonnie says to try different sizes, and I cut my strips bigger, so made fewer blocks to make the size I wanted.  I thought it would show up the strips and colors better, instead of cutting it so small and making more blocks.  You can always do it your way, right?

I'm so glad to hear you say you will be using larger blocks.  I thought I'd do 4-1/2" strips instead of 3-1/2 as the pattern calls for.  And probably will lay them out similar to the baby quilt at the end of the directions.  I liked the star effect from that.  But I can decide that later.  As a new quilter I don't have a lot of scraps, but do have quite a few shirts from the thrift store I'm using for the nursing home lap quilts, so will use them along with the scraps I do have.  It will be fun working alongside a group. 

Brigit-Carol

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,562
Points 23,690
Susie replied on Thu, Aug 30 2012 11:19 AM

OK...so, since I totally failed at the June scrappy, and can't get myself to finish July's, I'm going to take a stab at this one.  I wanted to make a quilt-as-you-go string quilt, but found I didn't like those tiny little strings.

But I think I can handle this one.  At least, I'm going to TRY to really do it scrappy.

I don't have the rulers, but I've been thinking I should get a triangle ruler soon...

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 700
Points 17,500

Susie:

OK...so, since I totally failed at the June scrappy, and can't get myself to finish July's, I'm going to take a stab at this one.  I wanted to make a quilt-as-you-go string quilt, but found I didn't like those tiny little strings.

But I think I can handle this one.  At least, I'm going to TRY to really do it scrappy.

I don't have the rulers, but I've been thinking I should get a triangle ruler soon...

I found a great video at Missouri Quilt company that shows how to make the cuts using a regular square quilting ruler.  I tried it this morning and it worked better than the flying geese ruler I have since you don't have to flip the tube or ruler.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOWSp0mTTqE.  This is not a string quilt, so to see the demo on how to cut, start at about the 3 minute mark. 

Brigit-Carol

Page 1 of 11 (164 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use