Tried a new scrappy project

rated by 0 users
This post has 46 Replies | 14 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 348
Points 27,200
Darlene Posted: Sat, Aug 4 2012 9:36 AM

I was so inspired by the June scrappy project that I bought a magazine of scrappy projects and this is my first project from there.

I will confess that this is a very controlled scrappy because I only used 8 fabrics and was very selective in the placement of my pieces when making my rows.

Lots of fun and I will be doing this again with more abandon and less control.  Probably only control I will not give up is that I frogged a few times because I rotated triangles when joining and ripped out so that the strip sets all faced the same.  A dear friend made one with me and she chose to leave her turned pieces in.  She thought it added to the finished product.  I am still too OCD to let go that much.

Working on the quilting now. 

Darlene

from Western New York

• Post Points: 140
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,779
Points 122,400

Darlene:

I was so inspired by the June scrappy project that I bought a magazine of scrappy projects and this is my first project from there.

Darlene, this is really beautiful! Wonderful fabrics and pattern.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 366
Points 6,475
Helen replied on Sat, Aug 4 2012 9:50 AM

Beautiful quilt Darlene!  Colors are so cheerful!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,316
Points 18,480

Very pretty, bright colors Darlene! I really like this a lot.

Piece, Love, Quilt

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Great job, Darlene!  Love the bright colors...looks like you used more than just eight the way they move around.

Max

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 120
Points 2,040

Very pretty!! Love the pattern and your color choices!

MaryAnn

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,948
Points 368,262
Kris replied on Sat, Aug 4 2012 9:59 PM

WTG Darlene. This looks like a cool project.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Sun, Aug 5 2012 8:06 AM

I like the colors in the fabrics, Darlene.  Makes it look like more than 8 fabrics.

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 10,645

Darlene, very pretty, I like the colors and the pattern

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 10,645

Darlene, very pretty, I like the colors and the pattern

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 398
Points 4,920
Jean replied on Sun, Aug 5 2012 6:44 PM

Darlene, what a pretty quilt.  

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 393
Points 4,935
Kristie replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 8:57 AM

Very nice!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 12:02 PM

Darlene

This is a beautiful pattern.  I love stars of any kind.  Your quilt will be beautiful when finished.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 348
Points 27,200

Thank you all fot your kind words.  There were 16 strip sets made from the 8 fabrics and then with the reverse cutting, it truly does look like there were a lot more were used. 

Thinking that I will use some triangles cut from the remainder of the strip sets and then make some additional strip sets with other scraps to make another quilt top when done with this one.

I want the next to have more contrast of value.

Working on the quilting of this.  Will post a pic when done with binding.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Finally got my "independent project" scrappy August quilt together today.  The pattern is Bricks and Stepping Stones from Quiltville.com, the same site with the Diamond Strings pattern.

The pattern used very dark grey and black with shades of whites and creams for the stepping stones.  Since all my blocks are on the darker side, I decided to use yellow and cream.  I had planned to use orange and cream but chickened out.  I should have gone for it.  The yellow and white is just a bit too subtle. But it looks better in real life than in the photo. The border is a farm print.  The backing is very bright green and the binding is orange!   This is a twin sized quilt.  My young friend passed on the July scrappy. He thought it was just too busy for him--fine by me since I really like it!!  So, trying again, I made this one as a controlled scrappy with just blues, lavenders and greens.  

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

• Post Points: 65
Page 1 of 4 (47 items) 1234Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use