rated by 0 users
This post has 87 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 10:50 AM

Darlene

Great quilt.  I love the dark background with the scrappy.   So pretty.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 178
Points 2,285
MizPat replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 9:44 PM

I love the idea of a reversible quilt. Just can't see myself making two quilt tops for just one finished quilt! Maybe someday. 

Right now, I'm really busy trying to get my MQ6 finished, working on the "Grinch" quilt for my younger son and finishing two other well-aged quilts (17 - 18 yrs aged)! I'm making myself finish them so I can justify starting two more.  Then I'll finish two more of the well-aged lot and should be up to about 15 years ago, which is when I put quilting aside. I've just come back to it this year and am trying not to lose the momentum. 

I'm taking the Craftsy BOM class, but haven't started making blocks yet. Haven't found the fabric I want to use for it yet. I need to get off the computer and back to the sewing machine!

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,763
Points 365,032
Kris replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 1:10 AM

Darlene,

I love your two sided scrappy.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,550
Points 23,460
Susie replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 9:33 AM

Whew...finally got my squares all stitched together.  Now...border dilemma.  My thinking is white with black polkadots.  I'd like to try to stick with the black & white concept.  (I know...not very scrappy at all, but it was my first scrappy and I couldn't let go enough.)  Border suggestions?  (sorry about the clutter...my son didn't want to stand clear of it all.)

Chicagoland, Illinois

• Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 10:47 AM

Susie

Your quilt is beautiful.  Not real scrappy but really pretty...LOL>   I think I would go with a dark border to frame the top.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,550
Points 23,460
Susie replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 10:51 AM

Nana:

Susie

Your quilt is beautiful.  Not real scrappy but really pretty...LOL>   I think I would go with a dark border to frame the top.

I tried, Nana, really I did.  My July one is much better, but for a first attempt, I just couldn't let go enough.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 12:29 PM

Susie:

Nana:

Susie

I tried, Nana, really I did.  My July one is much better, but for a first attempt, I just couldn't let go enough.

Susie your quilt is beautiful.  You aren't the only one that has had problems letting go with a scrappy.   Most of the time it does get easier the more of them that you do.  Just have fun with your scrappys.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Susie,

I LOVE it!  

Do you have enough of your black 'scraps' left to make a piano key type border?   Just mix 'em up, not using any white.

Or, if your heart is set on polka dots, I'd suggest a black fabric with white dots.    I'm just old fashion enough I think of borders as 'frames' for the quilt picture, and the 'frame' should stop the eye from traveling off the man subject (the quilt top). Light colors don't really stop the eye from traveling right off the side.

Max

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 3:15 PM

MaxNTopeka:
Or, if your heart is set on polka dots, I'd suggest a black fabric with white dots.   

Susie, this is what came to mind for me too...black fabric with white polka dots.  I think that would be the perfect frame for your June "scrappy".  If that won't work for you, I agree the piano key border from the dark fabrics used in the 9 patch blocks would be good too.

Winthrop, WA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,550
Points 23,460
Susie replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 4:13 PM

MaxNTopeka:

Susie,

I LOVE it!  

Do you have enough of your black 'scraps' left to make a piano key type border?   Just mix 'em up, not using any white.

Or, if your heart is set on polka dots, I'd suggest a black fabric with white dots.    I'm just old fashion enough I think of borders as 'frames' for the quilt picture, and the 'frame' should stop the eye from traveling off the man subject (the quilt top). Light colors don't really stop the eye from traveling right off the side.

Max

Max--nope, not enough.  I only bought what I thought I would need & cut it all up in the 2 1/2" squares.  But I'll see what I can find at the fabric store.  I understand about the darker color.  Hmmmmm....could be fun to find just the right fabric.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,550
Points 46,960
Debbie-do replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 10:23 PM

Susie, how about sideways piano keys!  cut black and white strips 2 1/2 x 6 1/2 and stitch then end to end then place the black pieces over the white blocks and the white pieces over the 9 patches.

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,763
Points 365,032
Kris replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 11:30 PM

Susie:
Whew...finally got my squares all stitched together

I like your B&W scrappy Susie.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 313
Points 26,690
Darlene replied on Fri, Jul 27 2012 12:56 AM

Susie:
Whew...finally got my squares all stitched together.  Now...border dilemma.  My thinking is white with black polkadots.  I'd like to try to stick with the black & white concept.

Susie, great job.  Love the black and white.

I think a black with white polka dots would be a nice gorder.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 313
Points 26,690
Darlene replied on Fri, Jul 27 2012 12:58 AM

MizPat:

I love the idea of a reversible quilt. Just can't see myself making two quilt tops for just one finished quilt! Maybe someday. 

MizPat, not sure I would do this again right away but it worked out for this particular purpose.  I was a challenge because I didn't plan on them going together and had to make them the same size.

Good luck with your Grinch quilt and other projects.  I am sure they will all turn out great.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 313
Points 26,690

Nana:
love the dark background

Thanks Nana.  So glad I ventured in that direction.  I was pleased with the results.  I cut the background of a tan batik before I settled on the black so thinking I need to make another using those tan with dark batik scraps.  It is on the list but I really want to do the July project first. 

Thanks again for being our leader and being so encouraging to those who of us who struggled with the scrappy part of scrap quilting.  I found it to be so much fun and you have inspired me to want to do more traditional "stuff"  Just not sure it will be 2.5 inch pieces.  I am thinking I amy do 3.5 inch for the next one.  Of course, I do still have all the background cut from the tan so there will be another 2.5 inch coming along at some point.

Darlene

from Western New York

Page 2 of 6 (88 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use