Step 2 and reveal June Scrappy

rated by 0 users
This post has 438 Replies | 32 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,840
Points 123,695

Pat Badder:

Yeah back in business. Was determined wasn't going to go without a sewing machine. Went out today and bought me a really good one a Viking machine.

Pat B from Southern California

Pat, you are a woman after my own heart. Three years ago my old Viking stopped doing anything except a straight stitch. After some inquiry I found out the broken part was no longer replaceable.  That afternoon I walked into the local dealer who handled several different brands. I walked out a couple hours later the smiling owner of a Viking Sapphire 830. It was in my price range, had what I needed so I bought it. I trotted on home and by late that evening I'd quilted and appliqued a cover for the machine as practice. Since then it's worked non-stop 7 days a week and I'm a happy quilter.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 466
Points 7,440

Judy mine is a Tribute 140M. I've never owned a Viking machine, but I thought no more cheapies for me. This name I know and it comes with a 10 year warranty. Can't go wrong there and the dealer gave me a good buy so I couldn't resist.

Pat B from Southern California

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 120
Points 2,040

I love the random stars!! May I steal the idea for mine??

MaryAnn

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

MaryAnn,

You have my blessing!  Steal...uh...borrow away!

Max

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,509
Points 417,524
gini replied on Fri, Jun 8 2012 7:45 PM

wow, pat, you didn't let any grass grow under your feet.  congratson the new machine

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,475
Points 24,120

Pat, congrats on the new machine. You will love the Viking. I have a Sapphire 875, I love it.

Thanks, Nana, for the great scrappy quilt. I just need to find time to get my 9 patches put together.

Erin, love your scrappy. And Max, I love the stars you added to yours.

I have worked all week and I am dog tired. We are in the midst of a shop hop and are working from 9 to 7.  I think I will just go to bed and start again another day.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Jun 8 2012 10:25 PM

Every once in awhile, I run into something that brings me back to the fact that I am very much a self-taught quilter and that I have missed some of the beginning basics.  Today was one of those days...  So, I am appealing to you more experienced quilters and hoping that others will learn something along with me!

First Question:  I have all my rows sewn and I just started sewing the rows together.  Even though I carefully squared up all my 9P blocks, they are apparently slightly larger than my background squares (maybe there is just a little more give?).  So, as I am sewing the rows together, the first block sewn has the 9P on the bottom and the background square on top.  That is OK as the "baggy" block is on the bottom and the slack is taken up by the feed dogs.  But with the next block, the 9P is on the top and the background on the bottom...so the "baggy" block is on the top.   (I hope someone knows what I am talking about...LOL!)  So, how do you experienced quilters handle this???

Second Question:  Up until now, all seams have been pressed to the dark?  How are you pressing these final rows?  Does that "to the dark rule" continue with these seams between the rows?  If so, are you pressing each block within that seam in a different direction and doing the twirly thing at the intersection?   

H E L P!

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,979
Points 368,857
Kris replied on Sat, Jun 9 2012 12:08 AM

Hello all. I had a migraine that took me out of the picture for a while.

Thank you Nana for a simple but lovely pattern. I like your top a lot. I'll work on mine this weekend.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,979
Points 368,857
Kris replied on Sat, Jun 9 2012 12:13 AM

Donna B:
First Question:  I have all my rows sewn and I just started sewing the rows together.  Even though I carefully squared up all my 9P blocks, they are apparently slightly larger than my background squares (maybe there is just a little more give?).  So, as I am sewing the rows together, the first block sewn has the 9P on the bottom and the background square on top.  That is OK as the "baggy" block is on the bottom and the slack is taken up by the feed dogs.  But with the next block, the 9P is on the top and the background on the bottom...so the "baggy" block is on the top.   (I hope someone knows what I am talking about...LOL!)  So, how do you experienced quilters handle this???

Donna,

I pin at both ends then in the middle and work in the slack as I sew. It usually works out.

Donna B:
Second Question:  Up until now, all seams have been pressed to the dark?  How are you pressing these final rows?  Does that "to the dark rule" continue with these seams between the rows?  If so, are you pressing each block within that seam in a different direction and doing the twirly thing at the intersection? 

I press away from the centre in this situation. Since you're not matching seams you shouldn't have a problem with pressing in this manner.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,979
Points 368,857
Kris replied on Sat, Jun 9 2012 12:13 AM

Pat Badder:
Yeah back in business. Was determined wasn't going to go without a sewing machine. Went out today and bought me a really good one a Viking machine.

Yay Pat B. That's the way to do it. Congrats on your new baby. May you enjoy many sewing moments together.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,979
Points 368,857
Kris replied on Sat, Jun 9 2012 12:19 AM

Erin:
Here is "Ole Scrappy" my first scrappy, mystery, nine patch top.... I'm thinking that I will add a 2 inch border and a 4 inch border so that it will fit a queen sized bed.

"Ole Scrappy" is beautiful so far Erin. Looking forward to your borders.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,979
Points 368,857
Kris replied on Sat, Jun 9 2012 12:19 AM

MaxNTopeka:
Here is my first of two lap quilts using Nana's June Scrappy Project directions. 

I love it Max. Nice touch with the stars. WTG.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Sat, Jun 9 2012 1:00 AM

Love how this pattern worked out -really like  the Irish Chain effect.  Love the tops posted - the stars really add a kick to yours Max.  Great idea!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Donna,

When I started sewing my rows together I matched the seams that were created when I sewed the 9 patch blocks to the background blocks. I pinned them so those seams met correctly and the blocks meet nicely at the corners.  That caused some of my blocks to have a little more 'baggyness' than the block it was matched up with.  This was because I maybe missed a 1/4" seam allowance by a few threads, or maybe my background block was off by a scooch. Whatever, one or the other of the two blocks was slightly larger than the one it was matching up to along that section of the row. I fix that by VERY GENTLY pulling a little extra tension on the fabric as I'm sewing it....while keeping the next set of corners lined up.  I don't use my walking foot when I sew my seams together. I only use my walking foot when quilting (or sewing creepy-crawly fabric like velvet or fake fur).  I just cannot do a good 1/4" seam with the walking foot.

If it takes more than a very gentle easing of one side or the other, I check to see if I need to fix a seam elsewhere in one of the blocks. Or if I need to square up my background blocks.  The gentle easing of one side to match the other will give your top a slightly gathered look along that section of seam.  When pressing the seam it looses that slight puckering...or should. If it doesn't you need to check your accuracy of cutting and 1/4" seams cause you may be trying to ease too much of a difference between the two blocks. 

After the top is quilted and washed it is usually going to have a nice puckery look anyway!

Can't help you with the pressing directions of seams.  I am a renagade and I press my seams open whenever possible.

Max

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Thank you all for your kind words on the wonky stars!  They are so easy to make, and I've been wanting to find a place to use some of them. I just haven't been brave enough to try a whole quilt of them.

Max

Page 3 of 30 (439 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use