Step 2 and reveal June Scrappy

rated by 0 users
This post has 438 Replies | 32 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana Posted: Thu, Jun 7 2012 10:06 PM

Now it is time to sew your blocks together.

First row....  start with a nine patch , then background square, then nine patch etc. until you reach 10 blocks.

Second row....   start with a background square, then nine patch, then background square until you reach 10 blocks.

Continue in the same repeat until you have 11 rows.   Sew the rows together and add borders as desired.  I started with a 2 1/2 in background border to frame all the nine patches.

I hope you enjoyed this project and really like your quilt.   Admittedly this is a very "simple" scrappy but I hope it helps get everyone ready for a true scrappy quilt with our next project.   Have fun and post pics as you finish.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 170
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 209
Points 4,375
Debi replied on Thu, Jun 7 2012 10:09 PM

Thank you so much, I can wait to get started and finish up my quilt :)

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,316
Points 18,480

Yay! Thanks Nana. I'll do a couple of rows tonight and finish up in the morning.

Piece, Love, Quilt

• Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 398
Points 4,920
Jean replied on Thu, Jun 7 2012 10:11 PM

Thank you.  I'm ready to sew, but have to go to Charleston to help with my grandboys.  So it will now have to wait till Sunday.  Can't wait to get it together.  I have enjoyed working on this.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 209
Points 4,375
Debi replied on Thu, Jun 7 2012 10:20 PM

Also, I would love suggestions on a scrappy border:)  this being my first scrappy quilt, I would appreciate all the help I can get. 

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,465
Points 416,784
gini replied on Thu, Jun 7 2012 10:37 PM

very nice nana, i might have to hop in the car and go finish it tonight.

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Thu, Jun 7 2012 10:43 PM

Thank you Nana. :)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Thu, Jun 7 2012 10:47 PM

Debi

I have found that a piano key border is an easy border to use for a scrappy.   You decide how wide you want your border to be and have strips at the border length.   I am using 2 1/2  x 4 1/2 strips to do a piano key border on one of my scrappys.  Just sew the strips to gether on the longer edges.  Continue adding strips until it is long enough for your border and sew it to the quilt top.   It makes a really neat scrappy border.

You can also do a checkerboard pattern by sewing 4 patchs together to make your border.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 34
Points 305
Francie replied on Fri, Jun 8 2012 12:14 AM

I finished my 9 patches tonight. Can't wait to sew it together tomorow!

Francie

Francie

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Jun 8 2012 7:57 AM

Debi I agree with Nana, these two border seem to really bring out the best in scrappy quilts. and are easy to do . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Jun 8 2012 7:59 AM

Nana,love the finished project  Almost looks like a Irish Chain when finished . Hope to get on mine today ,Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 48
Points 1,010

Thanks Nana this is a great. Now that I seen the outcome..Im going to wait until I can match the background fabric before continuing. Will be going on a Shop Hop next month Im sure to find a close match then :) Now to start working on the July Scrappy Blocks. :)

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 11,285
Donna replied on Fri, Jun 8 2012 9:22 AM

Thanks Nana,  I am sad because I am not sure when I can sew again.  I work all day,then we are leaving town tonight, back tomorrow night, then I work all day Sunday, then Monday its an all day shop hop with the quilters guild, then Tuesday back to work.  So It will probably be Tuesday night before I can sew again.  Sundays are just way to busy at work and I am way to tired physically and mentally when I get home. 

I do have a question you.  My nine blocks are made with floral prints,  what I am thinking about doing is embroidering flowers on the white background blocks.  Do you think that would be too busy and distract away from the pattern?   I do appreciate everyones help,  I have only been quilting 1 year and still nervous to try different things.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Fri, Jun 8 2012 9:32 AM

Donna

Embroidered flowers would probably be very pretty.  I think it depends on the look you want with your quilt.   I liked the way it resembles and Irish Chain with the plain blocks.  I may do a quilting pattern in the background blocks on mine.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Here is my first of two lap quilts using Nana's June Scrappy Project directions.  The top, without any borders, measures 42 X 42.  Think it will be perfect size when I add a 1" wide border of deep royal blue and then 2" border of the rusty orange color you see in the top. I am thinking about using a scrappy binding, using several colors in the top.   Sorry, but the deep navy blues and dark purples and greens just don't show up in my pics. They register as dark gray-like blobs, and the wind is blowing too hard to try to take pics outside.  Maybe I can be a better photo when it is completed.  I'm thinking about keeping the quilting simple, just straight-line diagonal quilting in variated thread.   All in all, I think it will make a very nice lap quilt for donation for a male alzhiemer's patient.  Thanks Nana! for a really nice simple scrappy quilt project to get us going!!

Backing fabric for scrappy lap quilt #1.

Now on to Scrappy Lap Quilt #2.  Right after I finish the second Craftsy BOM #2, and a couple of blocks for POD.

Max

• Post Points: 140
Page 1 of 30 (439 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use