rated by 0 users
This post has 264 Replies | 43 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Mon, May 21 2012 2:56 PM

Kristie

I think with this one it will be best to use all the same fabric for the background.  We will be doing another scrappy after this one that you could use your cream scrappys if you would like.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 611
Points 10,695
Tami Paul replied on Mon, May 21 2012 3:24 PM

thank you, I could of swore I had nothing to use and then I found these. I may have to see about another or couple dark christmas prints to go with them. So, I am assuming I should look for small prints. I still need to find something for the background

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Mon, May 21 2012 4:22 PM

Tami

If you are getting more fabrics I would add in some more greens so that the reds are a little more balanced with another color.  Or even some more purples and blacks.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 27,260

Nana, as you know from VB, I am more CQ than traditional quilting but you ladies all inspired me to try some traditional quilting and I think this project would be a good place to start. 

My question is this, can I reverse the light background for a dark background and make my 275 scrap squares all lights?  I have a beautiful purple batik which I think would look great with all my light scraps.

What do you think?  If you recommend light background and dark squares, I will respect your wisdom and not be a rebel.

Thanks for organizing this and peaking my interest.  Don't really need another project but sounds like fun.

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 611
Points 10,695
Tami Paul replied on Mon, May 21 2012 5:32 PM

Ya, I was thinking green too but havent seen any as of yer. I found one with some greens in it.... ans I found a brown that I think will look fine.  picked up a creamy color for the background.  depending how it all turns out might be some christmas prints that would make great boarders maybe.  try to lay out before I wash. still  a couple of store in the neighborhood who havent seen me this week. apparently nobodies quite in to thinking christmas but hopefully the next place will have a green that I like, thanks

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 41
Points 1,835
BarbaraJ replied on Mon, May 21 2012 5:50 PM

Here's what I'm planning to use, do you think I need to add anything or eliminate any of the squares?

• Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 437
Points 11,330
Donna replied on Mon, May 21 2012 6:47 PM

Here are the fabrics that I am considering.  Is the coloring ok are is there too many different colors.  Some of the florals are kind of big so I think I will fussy cut them.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 611
Points 10,695
Tami Paul replied on Mon, May 21 2012 6:49 PM

mm I really like all the flowers. I cant really see the 2nd and 7th but they seem odd to me but what do I know. Have know idea what the lay out will be. But the flowers are pretty. is that the background or is it just something you set it on?

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 611
Points 10,695
Tami Paul replied on Mon, May 21 2012 6:54 PM

Was meant for Barbara. Donna like all the colors,  will make it nice and scrappy. Wish I had more christmas ones. I have some others but they are light.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Mon, May 21 2012 6:56 PM

Darlene

I think it can be switched and still look very nice.  After completing my top I was wondering what it would look like with a dark background and light squares.  You just need lots of contrast between the squares and the backgrounds.  I think you will have fun with this quilt.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Mon, May 21 2012 6:57 PM

Barbara

Your colors are very pretty.   A little controlled maybe....LOL but very pretty.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Mon, May 21 2012 6:58 PM

Donna

Your fabrics are great.  You can never have too many different fabrics when doing a scrappy quilt.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,118
Points 67,365
Robin replied on Mon, May 21 2012 7:00 PM

Here is some of my choices I'm considering ...... input please

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 41
Points 1,835
BarbaraJ replied on Mon, May 21 2012 7:01 PM

walla2butterfly:

mm I really like all the flowers. I cant really see the 2nd and 7th but they seem odd to me but what do I know. Have know idea what the lay out will be. But the flowers are pretty. is that the background or is it just something you set it on?

The second is more of a fall leaves on brown background, maybe I'll leave that one out since all the others are florals.  The 7th is a large scale floral on black background, i think it's the way it was cut, maybe should have fussy cut it instead of just strips.  The squares are laid out on the background fabric I'm planning to use.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 41
Points 1,835
BarbaraJ replied on Mon, May 21 2012 7:06 PM

Nana:

Barbara

Your colors are very pretty.   A little controlled maybe....LOL but very pretty.

I'll check the medium floral squares I have to see if there's enough contrast and maybe add some of those, also thinking I could add some greens (leaves for all the flowers)

• Post Points: 35
Page 5 of 18 (265 items) «Prev34567Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use