Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 986
Points 24,705

Nana:

Background   

• 2 1/3 yds neutral fabric.   Recommend a tone or tone
  • 3 yds if you want enough to use in your border

Scraps     275 dark 2 1/2 in squares     You may also want some scraps for your borders.

Think I'll join in on this one. I have some 5x5 inch squares that I cut from Christmas fabric years ago before I got sick. Don't know what I had planned for them but I think I'll use them for this quilt. Looks like fun.

• Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 611
Points 10,695
Tami Paul replied on Sun, May 20 2012 11:00 AM

so when will this start?

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, May 20 2012 11:05 AM

walla2butterfly:

so when will this start?

Just wanted to welcome you walla2butterfly to QCA.  There are 3 members in NCW (Winthrop,Twisp & Mallot) and quite a few on the westside of the Mountains.  Did you know we are having a retreat in Leavenworth this fall?

I'm not exactly sure when this scrappy project will start; only that it is after a mystery quilt is completed, but I am sure Nana will jump in with the answer soon!

Winthrop, WA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 611
Points 10,695
Tami Paul replied on Sun, May 20 2012 11:12 AM

okay thanks. I think I saw something about your retreat.  I have never done anything like that. What do you do?

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280

Nana:

Susie

This would probably work fine with Christmas fabrics as long as their is really good contrast between them and your background.  Have fun shopping...I know it is such a chore...ROFLOL

Wahoo, I'm in on this. Have so much Christmas fabric that I never use or at least never finish anything. Will start pullin' tomorrow. It is suppose to be in the mid to upper 70's and that is perfect for the sewing loft.

xoxoxo,

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 611
Points 10,695
Tami Paul replied on Sun, May 20 2012 12:20 PM

Okay well I was thinking christmas too. What is going to be the finished size? I am still trying to find my christmas material. Starting to get scared it got thrown away. as in somehow got mistaken for a garbage bag or something. But still hoping it is somewhere. 

Also I dont seem to have the link for the quick reply on this, I have to do the quote every time. Is this normal for this group?

Oh and are we going to need larger quanities of fabric right away.

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,902
Points 69,325
Bonita replied on Sun, May 20 2012 12:38 PM

I got all mine cut and ready to go. I found about 35 different fabrics to use , so there will be repeats but I was surprised to see I had that many without cutting up my FQs. All this talk of christmas fabrics makes me want to go back and cut some of those too.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Sun, May 20 2012 1:48 PM

Walla2butterfly

I will start this project June 1st.   You will need your 3 yds of background fabric when we start sewing.  I hope you enjoy your time with the group.   In groups there is only the one reply button.  I am not sure why they are set up this way but they have always been like this.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Sun, May 20 2012 1:49 PM

walla2butterfly:

okay thanks. I think I saw something about your retreat.  I have never done anything like that. What do you do?

We giggle and chat and sew and then giggle and chat some more.  Also eat lots and get to go fabric shopping.  We just have a great time and even manage to finish some quilting projects....LOL

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, May 20 2012 4:02 PM

Nana:

walla2butterfly:

We giggle and chat and sew and then giggle and chat some more.  Also eat lots and get to go fabric shopping.  We just have a great time and even manage to finish some quilting projects....LOL

I was going to say "We quilt till we drop!!!"  LOL  But everything Nana says is also true.  I went last year and had the greatest time.. (I only knew one person when I walked in the door)!

Winthrop, WA

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Nana:

Background   

• 2 1/3 yds neutral fabric.   Recommend a tone or tone
  • 3 yds if you want enough to use in your border

Scraps     275 dark 2 1/2 in squares     You may also want some scraps for your borders.

Hi Nana,

This looks like fun!  I have a stash of tone on tones creams that probably would be enough for the fabric requirements.  Would it be OK to have a collection of creams for the background or would you recommend I go shopping and get enough the full requirement out of 1 fabric?

Thanks!

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

I saw Nana's invitation on the MQ 6 list and decided to check it out.  This looks like fun. 

I've been quilting since I was 17 when I went off to college in MN from NY.  When I realized I was the only one with without a homemade quilt on my dorm bed I decided to fix that ASAP.  I already loved quilts and had been sewing for years but had never thought about making one.  My earliest quilts were scrappy--fabric left over from clothes that my Mom and I had sewn. One was made from Madras fabric samples from a neighbor who was an importer.  Those quilts were SO scrappy!  Loved, but absolutely zero heirloom potential!!  

Frustrated by my attempts at piecing using scissors and cardboard templates,  I moved on to appliqué. What better way to spend time in the laundromat??   One summer in college my parents let me try to make quilting my summer job.  I worked hard all summer and did sell a few things but also figured out that this was going to be a hobby, not a career!

Then about 5 years ago I passed my rusty, trusty Kenmore along to a young friend and bought my (first) Bernina.   With a great machine, a rotary cutter, strip piecing and so much fabulous fabric around, I happily caught quilting fever all over again.  I am having the best time!  Quilting is so much fun now!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Sun, May 20 2012 7:53 PM

Judy

I think this particular pattern works best with one background fabric.  I am going to start another scrappy project when we finish this one that will be completely scrappy and your collection of creams would work great in that one.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Sun, May 20 2012 7:56 PM

Judy

I have sewn most of my life but didn't start quilting until about 10 yrs ago.  I feel in love immediately.  I don't know how our ancestors did all those quilts with scissors and cardboard templates.  I would never get anything made if I had to cut everything like that.   I too have a Bernina but I tend to use my Janome 7700 for most of my quilting.  It has a so much larger throat space.  Now if I could afford one of those fabulous Bernina 830s I would be in heaven.  Berninas have the greatest stitch quality of any machine I have ever used.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Nana:

Judy

I think this particular pattern works best with one background fabric.  I am going to start another scrappy project when we finish this one that will be completely scrappy and your collection of creams would work great in that one.

Thanks Nana!  Nothing like an excuse to go fabric shopping!  

I'll have to check out the Janome model you mentioned.  (Just curiosity)!   I use my Bernina to piece and to quilt lap/crib quilts.  I also have a Grace mid-arm frame and a Juki industrial machine to quilt larger quilts.  I love the freedom of the mid-arm motion but my set-up has some quirky problems.  But considering it cost a fraction of a real long-arm I can live with them for now!  

Page 3 of 18 (265 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use