Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,920
Nana Posted: Thu, May 10 2012 5:49 PM

Background   

• 2 1/3 yds neutral fabric.   Recommend a tone or tone
  • 3 yds if you want enough to use in your border

Scraps     275 dark 2 1/2 in squares     You may also want some scraps for your borders.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 230
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,723
Points 121,500

Nana:

Background   

Scraps     275 dark 2 1/2 in squares     You may also want some scraps for your borders.

GASP! You mean, this is a mystery???  How exciting!

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,245
Dara replied on Thu, May 10 2012 7:21 PM

Nana,  Do you recommend a light neutral to contrast with the squares?

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,723
Points 121,500

OK, I'm going to try to make this a true scrappy quilt and not cut up any fat quarters and will only use from my dusty bins of genuine scraps. Color coordinating? Nope, take em as I pull em.

At least, that's the plan. I don't know if I can give up that much control.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 490
Points 9,250
Darlene replied on Thu, May 10 2012 7:32 PM

This is SCARY.Nana is taking our control away.How do you come up with patterns that quick.I think you are going to be sitting at your computer ROTFL at all us trying to hold on to control.lol

Darlene(2manyhorses)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,473
Points 24,140

Yikes!! I didn't know we were starting so soon! I must get busy. I haven't even done anything with the mystery quilt yet. I am so behind. I think I need to retire again so I can quilt! The quilt shop is taking up way too much of my time. 3 days a week since I've been back from VB.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 350
Points 6,050
PennyWyo replied on Fri, May 11 2012 9:22 AM

Hi Nana,

When do you actually plan to start the quilting portion.  Do we have time to sit on the fabric requirements and start as soon as MQ VI is complete? 

Penny

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, May 11 2012 9:29 AM

Thanks Nana, I need to get a neutral back ground but the rest I have ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Fri, May 11 2012 10:34 AM

Dara Beth:

Nana,  Do you recommend a light neutral to contrast with the squares?

Dara

I do recommend a cream or white or light tan tone on tone to contrast with the scraps.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Fri, May 11 2012 10:36 AM

Elaine and Penny

I wanted to get the fabric requirements out so that everyone has time to find what they want to use before we actually get started.  I will wait until the MQ is at least close to completed before I give cutting instructions.  This way everyone can have everything ready to start sewing.  Don't start stressing yet....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 41
Points 1,835
BarbaraJ replied on Fri, May 11 2012 10:43 AM

I have a lot of left over florals from watercolor quilts, do you think florals with dark backgrounds would work as the darks for this quilt?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, May 11 2012 11:14 AM

Judy T-Bellingham:

OK, I'm going to try to make this a true scrappy quilt and not cut up any fat quarters and will only use from my dusty bins of genuine scraps. Color coordinating? Nope, take em as I pull em.

At least, that's the plan. I don't know if I can give up that much control.

Judy,

I with you 100%.  I want to use up all my older fabrics that are becoming more and more dated.  I figure they might get lost in the bunch and not look so bad.  Dusty bins, look out!

It's spring cleaning time.  I think that's what I'll call this quilt - "Spring Cleaning"

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,350
Points 28,505
Marsha-SM replied on Fri, May 11 2012 12:23 PM

Nana, I am already set for this quilt.  I have several neutrals washed and ready, and the fabrics I have used in FWS and MQ 6 are ready and waiting.  There are plenty of darks in the collection - darks, dull colors and dull reds left.  The lights, yellows and greens are mostly used up.  This is a perfect way to do scrappy and use up this old, old collection which started out as 11 x 13 pieces in packs so many years ago. 

Marsha - Western New York

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,313
Points 18,420

Nana:

Background   

YIKES!  This is a mystery quilt? No pictures to go by... Lord only knows what I will end up with! ROFL

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 648
Points 10,145

I'm with Judy and Annie - whatever scrap comes out of the bin gets used right then and there.  I still have 2 1/2" squares left over from the mystery, ones that were cut BEFORE that mystery started.

I might actually make a dent in the precuts and scrap bins with this one - a small one but at least a dent that's visually recognizable!

• Post Points: 50
Page 1 of 18 (265 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use